Jump to content
GeeKay

Responding to 5G Conspiracy Fears

Recommended Posts

Many thanks for the link. Yes, the fact that both are just opinion pieces illustrates how so-called "truthers" like Mark Steele can patrol their chosen agendas the way they do. This is more an internet problem than a purely science-based one. Still, speaking as a layperson/armchair observer here, it might be helpful if scientists took on Steele and his ilk more directly. There's no chance of getting such folk (and the majority of their camp followers) to alter their views by reasoned debate, of course - not when these views are buttressed by emotional convictions. All the same it would surely help the many undecided, even the merely disinterested. Just an observation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeeKay said:

Many thanks for the link. Yes, the fact that both are just opinion pieces illustrates how so-called "truthers" like Mark Steele can patrol their chosen agendas the way they do. This is more an internet problem than a purely science-based one. Still, speaking as a layperson/armchair observer here, it might be helpful if scientists took on Steele and his ilk more directly. There's no chance of getting such folk (and the majority of their camp followers) to alter their views by reasoned debate, of course - not when these views are buttressed by emotional convictions. All the same it would surely help the many undecided, even the merely disinterested. Just an observation.  

Whatever the quality of an argument and evidence, it's down to the reader to corroborate it. You can lead a person to a book but you can't make them think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

19 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Whatever the quality of an argument and evidence, it's down to the reader to corroborate it. You can lead a person to a book but you can't make them think.

This is a valid point. . . as far as it goes. It's just that it's not enough any longer. In the age of the internet it's no longer a matter of leading a person to a book; rather it's a case of leading the book to the person.     

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the other hand it doesn't really bother me to let the willfully ignorant wallow in their fears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, zapatos said:

On the other hand it doesn't really bother me to let the willfully ignorant wallow in their fears.

There's a literal silver lining in this if you're heavily invested in Reynolds Wrap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

There's a literal silver lining in this if you're heavily invested in Reynolds Wrap.

Good point! The conspiracy theorists are making money off this, why can't we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Good point! The conspiracy theorists are making money off this, why can't we?

Didn't you invent a clear aluminum coating? We could hide it in some cheap hairspray cans. That way, folks are protected from catching the 5G, but the FBI can't tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't you all glad that you found science as an interest/vocation? We could all easily be victims to this kind of BS if we didn't know the science basics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2020 at 5:30 PM, zapatos said:

On the other hand it doesn't really bother me to let the willfully ignorant wallow in their fears.

It should bother you - if only because the "wilfully ignorant" tend to vote into office the kind of dickheads who are currently doing the rest of us NO favours whatsoever. Anyone care for a re-run of 2017? 

Then there's this. . . 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/28/climate/trump-administration-war-on-science.html

Edited by GeeKay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GeeKay said:

It should bother you - if only because the "wilfully ignorant" tend to vote into office the kind of dickheads who are currently doing the rest of us NO favours whatsoever. Anyone care for a re-run of 2017? 

Then there's this. . . 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/28/climate/trump-administration-war-on-science.html

Well, it doesn't bother me. I'm tired of wasting my breath on those who refuse data and reason. I've got better things to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GeeKay said:

It should bother you

The problem here is that those people do not respond to reason, so debating them is pointless. There is literally nothing you could say to them that would change their world view. As the old saying goes, you can't reason someone out of a position that hasn't been arrived at by reason in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GeeKay said:

It should bother you - if only because the "wilfully ignorant" tend to vote into office the kind of dickheads who are currently doing the rest of us NO favours whatsoever. Anyone care for a re-run of 2017? 

I could see mounting a competing emotional appeal to divert these folks from the emotional stance they've taken on 5G. If they're so worried about radiation, but don't listen to reason about scientific areas like telecommunications and climate change, maybe we can emphasize how much more radiation they'll be exposed to if we don't do something to stop the planet heating up. An appeal to fear may work where an appeal to reason isn't understood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.