British good will and fortitude/Covid-19 heart-warming stories

MigL

Most of the Canadians of Italian descent I know, don't seem to like Brits.
They consider them snobbish and self-serving; I am always having to defend them.

I realize the Covid-19 pandemic has brought a lot of good will out in people.
It is now not uncommon for a person to say "hello" from across the street, whereas before, they would have bumped into you, on the same sidewalk, without greeting. But this old British vet, Capt. Tom Moore, has really amazed a lot of people.

He started out trying to raise 1000 pounds, for the NHS, by his 100th birthday ( 24 days ), by walking laps of his garden.
He's mentioned in a single which topped the  UK music charts, received a fly-past from the RAF, received over 150 000 birthday cards and letters ( including from the Queen ) and made an honorary Colonel.
During the 24 day period, he received 1.5 million donations for a total of 32.8 million pounds.
Not bad at all.
Read about it here..          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Moore_(fundraiser)

You guys are amazing; there's hope for humanity yet.

Edited by MigL

Nice! I’ve been walking laps around my yard and doing work for weeks and I just get yelled at by my wife for ruining the grass. I raise my glass to Captain Tom!

9 hours ago, iNow said:

Nice! I’ve been walking laps around my yard and doing work for weeks and I just get yelled at by my wife for ruining the grass. I raise my glass to Captain Tom!

The trick is to outlive her before you start...

...but for now be sure to pour a nice glass for her also