A Tinge of Sadness to the recent Image of a Black Hole:

beecee

14 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It is about a certain group of internet folks harassing the sh*t out of achievers who happen to be young women.

Young women are usually at the bottom of the pecking order in most societies, so it must feel very threatening to these men when a young woman is obviously extremely capable and intelligent. Where does that leave these trolls in the scheme of things? I think they get tired of hating themselves so much that they have to spread it around, and young women are an obvious source of their frustration. 

15 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Young women are usually at the bottom of the pecking order in most societies, so it must feel very threatening to these men when a young woman is obviously extremely capable and intelligent. Where does that leave these trolls in the scheme of things? I think they get tired of hating themselves so much that they have to spread it around, and young women are an obvious source of their frustration. 

I think in this case this is heightened by the fact that it is in an area that some (again, younger men) see as their domain. I.e. computational sciences. I have a a few female colleagues in that area and until they established themselves there was often the assumption that they were support rather than lead in key positions. But these are more subconscious aspects (that go into the realm of unconscious bias) rather than the outright  manifestations of, well, misogyny.

Laws in Australia are now under consideration re social internet chat sites, with heavy fines if CEOs and controllers of these social interaction sites, do not drag and edit off in short time, all forms of hate speech, bullying etc. This is primarily as a result of that ratbag Aussie in NZ killing Islam adherents while at their place of worship.