Christian numerology

MarieR

On a lighter note my favourite Christian Numerology is 666

https://exemplore.com/fortune-divination/Numerology-is-Nonsense

Why Name Numerology Is Nonsense: Sum Your Name to 666!

"In numerology it is claimed that numbers can tell you more about yourself, your life and even your future. Simply by looking at your name and doing some number analysis a numerologist can tell you more about your path in life.

In some forms of name numerology they assign values to characters of the alphabet. These numbers can then be used in calculcations. For example, they can assign 'a' = 1, 'b' = 2, 'c' = 3, et cetera and that turns each name into a few numbers. The name 'john' would be 'j' = 10, 'o' = 15, 'h' = 8, and 'n' = 14. What can we say about these numbers? Let's add them together as a first step. Together these numbers sum to 10 + 15 + 8 + 14 = 47. Is 47 a special number? Perhaps, that all depends on how you interpret and explain it.

Many numerologists have shown that names of famous people can sum to 666, a well-known number due to its presence in the Bible and it's also known as the Number of the Beast. You can imagine that if your name sums up to such number then that probably means no good"

PS: I did though thoroughly enjoy the movie "Omen" :P Gregory Peck has always been one of my favourite actors.

Edited by beecee

2 minutes ago, beecee said:

A prime example of the nonsense that Christian Numerology promotes is amply illustrated in the prediction/s of the end of days and other such elements of fear. 

https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2018/april/apparently-end-of-world-is-set-to-happen-again.html

It's Time to End the Stupid about the End Times: Debunking Christian Numerology:

Self-proclaimed Christian numerologist David Meade is at it again. This time, though, he’s saying that the world is going to end on April 23rd.

It’s on the front page of the USAToday and the Drudge Report right now.

Worse yet, he’s now brought international policy issues into the discussion (another subject area for which he has no academic credentials, like his “Christian numerology”). He’s now predictingthat a nuclear conflict will also occur this month.

But before you panic and make an emergency trip to the grocery store or run to break out that apocalyptic survival gear, know that this isn’t Meade’s first rodeo. He’s predicted that the world would end not once, but twice already this year. Again, before getting into a tizzy and starting to think that maybe this could finally be the real deal, I want you to notice something: we’re all still here.

Again, perhaps you need to refer to the OP, and perhaps stay on track and the discussion/refutation of the nonsense that Christian Numerology often portrays.

BeeCee.  I haven't studied numerology before this topic, nor heard of David Meade.  If he's a false prophet that will become clear.  If numerology can be prophetic THAT will become clear also to those who study long enough with the right intention.  I have no opinion that way.  However .. like everything to do with any religion or scientific theory there will be those who attempt to destroy the religion and the theory.  YOU say that is science, if applied to science.  You might not say it is bigotry if applied to religion.  What some people profess to be numerology or gematria, including yourself, you believe because you haven't looked into it what it is apart from spooky headlines.  THAT is not a scientific mind, BeeCee.  NOW you have some insight that may help you dispel your first and false opinion.  It is NOT magic.  It is NOT superstition.  It is in the least LANGUAGE pure and simple, and if it is more than that is known only to a very, very few, and I don't know any of them.

7 minutes ago, beecee said:

On a lighter note my favourite Christian Numerology is 666

"In numerology it is claimed that numbers can tell you more about yourself, your life and even your future. Simply by looking at your name and doing some number analysis a numerologist can tell you more about your path in life.

In some forms of name numerology they assign values to characters of the alphabet. These numbers can then be used in calculcations. For example, they can assign 'a' = 1, 'b' = 2, 'c' = 3, et cetera and that turns each name into a few numbers. The name 'john' would be 'j' = 10, 'o' = 15, 'h' = 8, and 'n' = 14. What can we say about these numbers? Let's add them together as a first step. Together these numbers sum to 10 + 15 + 8 + 14 = 47. Is 47 a special number? Perhaps, that all depends on how you interpret and explain it.

Many numerologists have shown that names of famous people can sum to 666, a well-known number due to its presence in the Bible and it's also known as the Number of the Beast. You can imagine that if your name sums up to such number then that probably means no good"

PS: I did though thoroughly enjoy the movie "Omen" :P Gregory Peck has always been one of my favourite actors.

A bad omen too.  Which accounts, perhaps, for your fear of the unknown?  I recognized the stunting effects of self-induced fear years ago, and stopped watching those kinds of movies.

1 minute ago, beecee said:

Why your name?  Why not your social insurance number?

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-numerology-considered-a-pseudoscience

Q; Why is numerology considered a pseudoscience?

A: Numerology obviously has many of the various problems that Pseudosciencedoes:

• Contradictory claims: different numerological systems will give different results based on the same initial data. Numerology also assumes a base of ten, while using, for example, a binary or hexidecimal system would obviously give a contradictory result. As base ten is arbitrary and probably related to the number of digits humans have, there's no reason to use base ten if numerology had any significance in the physical world. The calendar we use also arbitrary, so different cultures / calendars would have different numbers for each year, and so different, contradictory results.
  • Exaggerated claims: how exactly will your name determine your ideal love match? How could your birth-date determine your job? How can the numbers in a date determine world events on that date?
  • Unprovable claims: numerological readings tend to be akin to cold-reading claims, filled with Barnum statements. How can we say whether they are right or wrong when they are so vague?
  • Absence of systematic practices when rationally developing theories (see also above first bullet): How does numerology work? Why base ten? Why the Gregorian Calendar? I'm unaware of any attempts by numerologists to account for any of this.

However:

• Over-reliance on confirmation rather than rigorous attempts at refutation: as far as I'm aware there have been extremely few serious attempts to confirm or deny. Two studies produced negative results (source: Numerology) but it is hardly studied properly at all. although numerological approaches relate to some fields (e.g. astrology) that fringe journals do publish, numerology itself is barely mentioned even in many journals chock full of pseudoscience.
  • Lack of openness to evaluation by other experts in the field: again, numerology is so obviously useless and fictional that almost no-one not in the field studies it, so this isn't really an issue.

But the real issue is that pseudoscience is:

• A claim, belief or practice presented as scientific, but which does not adhere to the scientific method

Obviously numerology doesn't adhere to the scientific method. But does it even attempt to? Is it really presented as scientific? Even other pseudosciences seems to shun numerology. That's a pretty low bar.

I'd suggest numerology isn't pseudoscience, it's just nonsense. 

14 minutes ago, beecee said:

A prime example of the nonsense that Christian Numerology promotes is amply illustrated in the prediction/s of the end of days and other such elements of fear. 

https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2018/april/apparently-end-of-world-is-set-to-happen-again.html

It's Time to End the Stupid about the End Times: Debunking Christian Numerology:

Self-proclaimed Christian numerologist David Meade is at it again. This time, though, he’s saying that the world is going to end on April 23rd.

Worse yet, he’s now brought international policy issues into the discussion (another subject area for which he has no academic credentials, like his “Christian numerology”). He’s now predictingthat a nuclear conflict will also occur this month.

But before you panic and make an emergency trip to the grocery store or run to break out that apocalyptic survival gear, know that this isn’t Meade’s first rodeo. He’s predicted that the world would end not once, but twice already this year. Again, before getting into a tizzy and starting to think that maybe this could finally be the real deal, I want you to notice something: we’re all still here.

Again, perhaps you need to refer to the OP, and perhaps stay on track and the discussion/refutation of the nonsense that Christian Numerology often portrays.

Perhaps you need to read posts people read.  But you don't need to do that, do you.  I first refute the 'often' in your 'often portrays.'  You added that?  I shall check.

13 minutes ago, nymnpseudo said:

Further, the OP is not strictly about Christian anything.

Strictly, the OP is only about Christian numerology, by initial definition.

Not any other sort of numerology or any other subject you care to mention.

So I will be reporting any discussion about other things as off topic.

16 minutes ago, beecee said:

Yes, you added that 'often' portrays.  Here is the question asked.  

Hello everyone,

I'd like some help on how to debunk a numerology on the Bible.

1 minute ago, studiot said:

Strictly, the OP is only about Christian numerology, by initial definition.

Not any other sort of numerology or any other subject you care to mention.

So I will be reporting any discussion about other things as off topic.

And what is that definition .. just so we can be clear.   You didn't frighten me .. but I have to go, library is closing.

Another reply from...https://www.quora.com/Why-is-numerology-considered-a-pseudoscience

"The proponents of pseudo-sciences use the terminology of Science. They try to copy and emulate real science. That’s how they make naive people get convinced that it is indeed a science. Actually, these naive people are not really dumb. They are pretty ‘smart’ people who have consciously chosen to act dumb when it comes to certain aspects of life. These ‘smart’ people have gone to top schools, attended top colleges, got big degrees and now work for international companies. And yet, they believe in and follow pseudo-sciences to give them the much needed legitimacy.

If someone thought of preparing a list of 'busiest persons' one cannot leave out the name of Pandit Ashokbharrati. His telephone numbers must be among the most accessed numbers in the country. It is said that several lakhs attempt to get in touch with him over phone every day.

While talking to a Nobel Laureate or the President of France, one does not say he is very busy or that he gets one lakh phones per day. Why? Because everyone knows they are important people, hence there is no need to actually say it. However, to prove that a numerologist is in serious business one has to go extra length to convince people. If you are trying to sell fake stuff, you really to work extra hard to prove it is genuine."

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I prefer the first quora reply....That is "I'd suggest numerology isn't pseudoscience, it's just nonsense. "

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-numerology-considered-a-pseudoscience

"A pseudoscience is a fake science that makes claims based on faulty or nonexistent scientific evidence. In most cases, these pseudosciences present claims in a way that makes them seem possible, but with little or no empirical support for these claims.

Graphology, numerology, and astrology, are all examples of pseudosciences. In many cases, these pseudosciences rely on anecdotes and testimonials to back up their often outlandish claims."

2 hours ago, nymnpseudo said:

Image of the Phoenician language:  https://www.ancient.eu/image/5215/phoenician-oblelisk-from-cyprus/   ...  nothing whatever similar to Hieroglyphics by any imagination. 

If you followed the "alphabet" link from that page, you would learn how Phoenician (and nearly all other alphabets) is derived from Egyptian.

Interesting how these searches for discovery unveil interesting things, like how the ancient Persian language seems to be the source of modern golf tees.   http://www.ancientscripts.com/oldpersian.html   

Good grief.

Firstly, that has nothing to do with golf. Secondly, that page tells you that Old Persian took the writing system from Sumerian / Akkadian.

Okay, if you don't like the word numerology, how about the Jewish Gematria? 

It is still nonsensical numerology, whatever you call it.

1 hour ago, nymnpseudo said:

This page shows very clearly the Hebrew alphabet and corresponding number values.

Just because you can use letters to write numbers doesn't mean that the numbers have any magic significance. Only someone truly deluded could think there is any meaning to numerology.

4 hours ago, nymnpseudo said:

BeeCee.  I haven't studied numerology before this topic, nor heard of David Meade.  If he's a false prophet that will become clear.  If numerology can be prophetic THAT will become clear also to those who study long enough with the right intention.  I have no opinion that way.  However .. like everything to do with any religion or scientific theory there will be those who attempt to destroy the religion and the theory.  YOU say that is science, if applied to science.  You might not say it is bigotry if applied to religion.  What some people profess to be numerology or gematria, including yourself, you believe because you haven't looked into it what it is apart from spooky headlines.  THAT is not a scientific mind, BeeCee.  NOW you have some insight that may help you dispel your first and false opinion.  It is NOT magic.  It is NOT superstition.  It is in the least LANGUAGE pure and simple, and if it is more than that is known only to a very, very few, and I don't know any of them.

No, I havn't studied numerology either, but plain old common sense tells me that using coincidental arrangement of numbers, or any of a thousand other interpretations that some put on sequels of numbers, particularly the nonsense spouted in the bible, is certainly unscientific and ignores the scientific methodology, something I am vaguely familiar with even though I aint a scientist. My first opinion obviously is 100% correct, due to my general gift of insight, on issues such as this. It is totally superstition, it is worse then pseudoscience  and is most certainly nonsense. I do agree with you though that it is NOT MAGIC....as magic like the supernatural, and paranormal are figments of people's imagination and do not really exist.

Edited by beecee