Mammals turn to night life to avoid people

Itoero

3 hours ago, T. McGrath said:

Do you even bother to read what you write?  You are both talking about speculation and suspicion and yet have the audacity to claim it has something to do with science.  Do either of you even know what science is about?  Science is not about speculation or suspicion.

You misrepresent things. They speculate about things that can go wrong. They don't present as science.

6 hours ago, T. McGrath said:

Do either of you even know what science is about?  Science is not about speculation or suspicion.

I think I know what science is about: I have a PhD in Physics from a top 5 school and I've published over 100 scholarly papers that have been cited over 1000 times (total).  Not sure why you are insulting me - I exercised due care to separate the science from the speculation in the paper under discussion.

13 hours ago, T. McGrath said:

Do you even bother to read what you write?  You are both talking about speculation and suspicion and yet have the audacity to claim it has something to do with science.  Do either of you even know what science is about?  Science is not about speculation or suspicion.

Confirmed results of science are not about speculation or suspicion, but often the speculations and suspicions formed during one careful study form the hypotheses that can be testable in future studies.

There is nothing wrong with educated guesses in science, as long as they are communicated with appropriate language and without inappropriate levels of confidence.  How many hypothesis papers have you published?  I've published several.

1 hour ago, MathGeek said:

Confirmed results of science are not about speculation or suspicion, but often the speculations and suspicions formed during one careful study form the hypotheses that can be testable in future studies.

There is nothing wrong with educated guesses in science, as long as they are communicated with appropriate language and without inappropriate levels of confidence.  How many hypothesis papers have you published?  I've published several.

We should avoid willy-waving and just let the evidence speak.

There are a heck of a lot of animals that are most active at dawn and dusk for some reason. With human activity in the form of street lights and traffic, they might be getting confused about when night and day cross over. I know that song birds can get confused, and sing longer into the night, and maybe that has an affect on other animals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.