Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
morrisey3

How to video record inside an incubator

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm a student lab assistant assisting on an experiment and we're stuck on a particular problem which I thought maybe the collective wisdom of the great people here might be able to solve. 

We are doing an experiment where we are growing crickets inside a Thermoline Incubator with diurnal lighting. It would be really helpful if we can video record them inside the incubator throughout their life cycle from birth to adulthood. The incubator has a solid door so we can't point a camera into the incubator from the outside and the incubator is set to 32 degrees celsius / 90 degrees fahrenheit on the inside.

We're contemplating putting a camera in the incubator anyways and see what type of issues it would face at that temperature. The cord would hang out the door squashed by the seal of the incubator.

I don't think this is the most ideal scenario and was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, morrisey3 said:

We are doing an experiment where we are growing crickets inside a Thermoline Incubator with diurnal lighting. It would be really helpful if we can video record them inside the incubator throughout their life cycle from birth to adulthood. The incubator has a solid door so we can't point a camera into the incubator from the outside and the incubator is set to 32 degrees celsius / 90 degrees fahrenheit on the inside.

We're contemplating putting a camera in the incubator anyways and see what type of issues it would face at that temperature. The cord would hang out the door squashed by the seal of the incubator.

How about a fibre optic lens? The camera can stay outside and the very thin fibre optic cable can go through the seal of the door (thinner than a power cable so easier) and be taped to whatever position you want it to be in. ?  You can get these optic cable for cameras on the internet pretty easy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume the timescale of the experiment is days? Maybe a GoPro with additional power supply or harvest the power from inside of the incubator. 32C is no problem for any camera, a GoPro would give you great quality but you can get one of the cheaper cameras from China. You need extreme wide angle lens or even a „fish eye” lens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Dr P. I will look into the fibre optic lens idea. 

Yes Koti, the experiment is over a week. I know GoPro have horrible battery life but worth considering. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, morrisey3 said:

I know GoPro have horrible battery life but worth considering. Thanks

As long there is lighting inside the incubator there is power inside which you can use for powering the GoPro, should be a fairly easy modification.

Edited by koti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, morrisey3 said:

I don't think this is the most ideal scenario and was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

You can try using up-side-down aquarium instead of your incubator, with some kind of thermostat, which will keep steady temperature inside. And fan from old computer for airflow.

This way you will be able to see what is happening (and eventually recording) from outside.

 

 

Yet another possibility is Arduino WiFi Camera

https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+camera+wifi

Cost $3-$4. Together with Arduino module $25 or so.

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/arduino-camera

(but it has worser parameters than GoPro, as it's just VGA resolution, but you could write custom program controlling it)

 

(e.g. program uploading photos to FTP server, and observe it from home on your smartphone any time you want it)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha Koti being a broke ass student, I'm not sure I want to try modifying an $8000 lab incubator. 

 

Sensei, great recommendations. Will definitely look into as well. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.