What is faith?

DrmDoc

26 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Would you have faith in that?

No, in fact if I had anything close to faith it was they would have fought. 

Can we at least agree that faith can sometimes benefit and sometimes not?

So can flipping a coin... 

So there's no reason to dismiss it out of hand because it doesn't benefit you.

Flipping a coin? Faith is not a path to anything but a chance occurrence. I am in the middle of a very bad electrical storm at the moment, do you think "faith" will keep me from being struck? 

But one day it won't, don't condemn the faithless to your fate because you got lucky.

Show me how "faith" is any better than chance and we'll talk... 

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

So we judge and condemn them?

Judge and condemn, please elaborate. So far all I see is good advice... 

11 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Were you never a baby?

We can't all grow out of it...

If you never grow out of being a baby you need the same supervision as a baby... 

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Why does it have to be?

Because people who have faith very nearly always claim it is, this is false and misleads people into making bad decisions based on chance... In fact i would argue that chance is better than faith, look at how gamblers use faith to bet it all and ignore chance... 

Edited by Moontanman

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

Because people who have faith very nearly always claim it is, this is false and misleads people into making bad decisions based on chance... 

If you understand your reality without recourse to some sort of faith then good luck to you, the rest of us need faith at some point in our lives; how else are we educated?

Just now, dimreepr said:

If you understand your reality without recourse to some sort of faith then good luck to you, the rest of us need faith at some point in our lives; how else are we educated?

How can you be educated through faith, please elaborate? Are we talking about "faith" or reasonable expectations based on past experience? 

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

How can you be educated through faith, please elaborate? Are we talking about "faith" or reasonable expectations based on past experience? 

How many parents do you have?

6 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Why did you trust your teachers?

5 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I am not judging anyone unless the truth is judgmental in your world, if so then continue to have faith in BS... 

Hmmm, that seems remarkably parallel... :rolleyes:  

Edited by dimreepr

Just now, dimreepr said:

Why not?

Besides, what is truth?

The truth is what is evidently true as opposed to what you want to be true... 

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Why not?

Besides, what is truth?

You can believe anything on faith, requiring evidence makes the truth a bit more complex than faith but at least you can rely on that which is evidently true. Now answer my question about sunrise or admit to breaking the rules... 

2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

The truth is what is evidently true as opposed to what you want to be true... 

The truth is now and can only be now, if you think it will be the same tomorrow, then you have faith. 

Trust is different in one aspect only, we can adapt and accept.

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

The truth is now and can only be now, if you think it will be the same tomorrow, then you have faith. 

Trust is different in one aspect only, we can adapt and accept.

No, my example of sunrise is poignant, if you have either faith or reasonable expectations the sun will rise tomorrow morning then you are wrong. It may not matter to you but the sun will never rise, the earth rotates and gives you the illusion the sun rises. It may not matter to you but the reality of the situation is very important to our understanding of reality. If reality doesn't matter to you then you are dishonestly discussing the subject.