Arming Teachers

Ten oz

21 minutes ago, rangerx said:

Exactly. It's my assertion he's deliberately being misleading to forward his narratives. One that suggests we all want to take away their guns, another that muddies waters and yet another to singularly dismiss others from the discussion. Yet his stance others being misleading is unassailable.

Immediately defaulting to "quote me where I said that" on the same pages where he said it, isn't discussion. It's belligerence. No wonder the discussion spirals downward from there.

As it applies to this thread an advocate for Arming Teachers themselves being brought of on gun related charges is a good anecdote against Arming Teachers. The last few pages were wasted on off topic nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

As it applies to this thread an advocate for Arming Teachers themselves being brought of on gun related charges is a good anecdote against Arming Teachers. The last few pages were wasted on off topic nonsense. 

The saddest part being, most of what is discussed here is largely inconsequential on the grand scale of things. It's merely an opportunity to express individual opinions on specific topics that we may learn something from other's experiences or wisdom. Five minutes on Google or employing a tactic from the neocon playbook, then doubling down on the original statement by insisting how right they are and how wrong everyone else is neither experience, nor wise.

It gives credence to the saying: I wish I was young again, when I knew everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Arming Teachers isn't the answer. I think everyone in this thread agrees on that. However no one has really presented any clear ideas for what the answer might be. While rare in relation to the number of schools in the U.S. campus shooting are a real concern which continue to happen. 

SANTA FE, Texas -- At many as 10 people were killed in a shooting Friday morning at a high school south of Houston, law enforcement sources confirmed to CBS News. Two students and a school resource officer were shot and injured.

Another law enforcement officer was also injured but was not shot.

Assistant Principal Cris Richardson said a suspect "has been arrested and secured."

"We hope the worst is over and I really can't say any more about that because it would be pure speculation," Richardson told media outlets at the scene.

School officials said law enforcement officers were working to secure the building "and initiate all emergency management protocols to release and move students to another location." Students from the high school were being transported to another location to reunite with their parents.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/santa-fe-high-school-shooting-today-2018-05-18-live-stream-updates/

17 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Arming Teachers isn't the answer. I think everyone in this thread agrees on that. However no one has really presented any clear ideas for what the answer might be. While rare in relation to the number of schools in the U.S. campus shooting are a real concern which continue to happen. 

People are getting shot everyday in America, why should it not occur in schools? What makes a school special? The problem is endemic within all of  America and whilst I'm writing someone else is getting shot, most likely.

55 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

People are getting shot everyday in America, why should it not occur in schools? What makes a school special? The problem is endemic within all of  America and whilst I'm writing someone else is getting shot, most likely.

Obviously the U.S. needs to tackle gun control as whole. Accomplishing that is a political problem which will require political solutions. Campuses are individual facilities which have various safety procedures in place to tackle everything from earthquakes to fires. More kids are being shot to death at school than blown up yet campus security all over the country have guidelines in place to deal with bomb threats. While gun control is a political issue with political answers Campus security is a security issue and can be tackled as such without relying on politics. That is where I see the distinction or as you asked makes schools "special".

For example the building I work in is card access. One must have the proper authorization to access various areas and the whole building can be locked down electronically. That is one type of physical security. Installing it didn't require campaigns, bumper stickers, govt lobbyists, political courage, winning elections, holding a political majority, or etc, etc,etc. Security of campuses like security of any facility doesn't have to be tied to national political policy. It would be awesome to address both but in lieu of the political side doing nothing security directors for campuses around the country should tackle the issue same as they tackle what to do about other emergent issues.