Travelling faster than light...

Peppers

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No' date=' in theory gravity and acceleration is the same.

Thus such an mighty acceleration should turn You into a Black Hole.[/quote']

They are indistinguishable, but not the same.

I thought my Quote from Wikipedia explained that part very well... :)

(I should have duplicated the bolded part of the text instead.)

No' date=' in theory gravity and acceleration is the same.

Thus such an mighty acceleration should turn You into a Black Hole.

After defining his theory of special relativity, Albert Einstein realized that forces felt by objects undergoing constant acceleration are indistinguishable from those in a gravitational field[/b'], and thus defined general relativity.

I was under the impression that nothing can travel at speeds that are faster than light,

As I understand, Einstein's equations only say that something of mass cannot travel AT the speed of light. It is equally impossible for something travelling faster than light to slow down TO the speed of light.

Problem is getting there from here.

The only true thing that comes to mind is two things.

1. Light has a subatomic/subquantum part to it.

2. You must learn to somehow harness light at an exponential level and use it to go faster than a single exponential level.

I think that the reason it would be scary to go faster than light is because you would enter a dimension/world/w/e place that would be somewhere without time and space. I can only imagine complete darkness.

Mass can not exist without light. Without light on a particular spot, in my idea, nothing would take its place. It would somehow be a spherical area or perhaps a bend within a dimensional hole that you would have to figure out how to get out of once entered into. Perhaps if you were to gather light infront of a moving object and then shoot it out from the backside, you could use the light to harness the vehicle and go fast as light while moving. While attracting the light infront of you it would create a pull and you would be able to exit the current hole you went into and perhaps fill it back up with light.

I dunno.

2. You must learn to somehow harness light at an exponential level and use it to go faster than a single exponential level.

That makes absolutely no sense...to me.

Would you please explain this statement using well-defined terminology, or else by defining your jargon ("exponential level") in terms of accepted terminology ?

I find it a little hard to believe something travelling faster than light cannot reach the speed of light. If two things both travelling n, with n>c, ran into each other, wouldn't they both hit each other with equal force, making them both come a complete stop? And in coming to a complete stop, wouldn't they have had to pass c, even if it was for indefinably small period of time? Or do things traveling faster than c never hit each other?

I find it a little hard to believe something travelling faster than light cannot reach the speed of light. If two things both travelling n, with n>c, ran into each other, wouldn't they both hit each other with equal force, making them both come a complete stop? And in coming to a complete stop, wouldn't they have had to pass c, even if it was for indefinably small period of time? Or do things traveling faster than c never hit each other?

They could simply pass right through each other. You are assuming that they would interact.

Some particles simply don't interact with other types of particles. We know of electromagnetic, gravitational, strong and weak interactions.

The solutions to the relativity equations give you imaginary terms for either energy or mass. So there is reason to think that the tachyons simply wouldn't interact with "normal" matter or energy.

They could simply pass right through each other. You are assuming that they would interact.

Some particles simply don't interact with other types of particles. We know of electromagnetic' date=' gravitational, strong and weak interactions.

The solutions to the relativity equations give you imaginary terms for either energy or mass. So there is reason to think that the tachyons simply wouldn't interact with "normal" matter or energy.[/quote']

Ahh, okay. So basically, there is a possibility that all particles travelling faster than the speed of light don't have the capabilities to interact with each other? That could make sense.

Ahh, okay. So basically, there is a possibility that all particles travelling faster than the speed of light don't have the capabilities to interact with each other? That could make sense.

What I was saying was that the (hypothetical) particles that travel faster than light don't have the ability to interact with particles travelling slower than the speed of light.

That makes absolutely no sense...to me.

Would you please explain this statement using well-defined terminology' date=' or else by defining your jargon ("exponential level") in terms of accepted terminology ?[/quote']

e^2 > e^1

e^2 > e^1
Thanks ! I'm aware of the value of e.

But have have no idea what this has to do with FTL and light. What property of light is found to be in integer powers of e ?

What I was saying was that the (hypothetical) particles that travel faster than light don't have the ability to interact with particles travelling slower than the speed of light.

Oh, well what about two items travelling faster than the speed of light colliding?

• 3 weeks later...
If you use exotic matter (which we know dont know a lot about) and create a stable worm hole you could get from one point of space to another in less time that light would take. That would essentialy be faster than light travel.

Or you could place a mirror close to the sun, send a beam of light there and have it reflected back to a point about 10 meters from you. After you send out the ray you calmly walk over to this point and wait for the light to arrive. It´s ftl travel in the exactly same sense. Only disadvantage here is, that many people in this forum won´t consider it scientific enough as it uses neither multiple dimensions nor exotic matter nor magnetotachyonic stringgravity fluctuations.

• 3 weeks later...
Quick question what about the solid Cessium experiements done in 2000 and the

follow up done this past summer. Both experiements indictate that light or information

can be passed FTL or did I miss something?

Pulsoid Theory (slightly analogous to String Theory) is entirely based on hyper-relativistic oscillations that would certainly predict such information passing . . . and other non-local events; even such as the photon effect.

the ceasium experiments essentially reshaped the light pulse so that the front of the wave became the peak, this made it appear as if light traveled through the medium faster than C.

as a general rule don't ever accept anything claiming to be scientific from a website with a dot com ending. Especially if it is something like <insert theory here>.com

in addition to that, never trust a theory that makes its debut on a forum.

Quick question what about the solid Cessium experiements done in 2000 and the

follow up done this past summer. Both experiements indictate that light or information

can be passed FTL or did I miss something?

Dave Cooke

Solid cesium? Link, please.

The cesium vapor experiment was anomalous dispersion (search on that term - it's been discussed before) and does not violate causality.

The key to this is going to lie in the fact that what we see as a vacuum is actually a space-time continuum with a certain degree of fourth-dimensional curvature. We know that where this curvature is increased, the speed of light is decreased. It follows that to increase the speed of light, we must decrease the curvature of space.

It was in either a High Energy Physics site or a Yahoo Science News link. If I

remember correctly, it was around Sept. or Oct. 2000. The idea was a container of Solid Cesium (Cooled to around 400K) with a Laser Optic Window at each end of the container was irradiated at one end with a laser light and based on the measure the effect was that the length of the container did not exist. When the photon wave front entered one end the same wave front emerged form the other end. It appeared to operate like semi-conductor hole technology. The excess of photonic energy at one end was passed in imaginarytime to the molecules at the far end of the target.

Dave Cooke

It was in either a High Energy Physics site or a Yahoo Science News link. If I

remember correctly' date=' it was around Sept. or Oct. 2000. The idea was a container of Solid Cesium (Cooled to around 400K) with a Laser Optic Window at each end of the container was irradiated at one end with a laser light and based on the measure the effect was that the length of the container did not exist. When the photon wave front entered one end the same wave front emerged form the other end. It appeared to operate like semi-conductor hole technology. The excess of photonic energy at one end was passed in imaginarytime to the molecules at the far end of the target.[/quote']Is this helpful: Anomalous Dispersion, not FTL.

The reason was the laser was a coherent single frequency tuned emitter in the UV range. If I recall correctly the frequency of the laser was tuned to the Photon emission frequency of the Cesium. If the emitter was single mode then there would not have been the mixture of frequencies as indicated in your link. Your link would be appropriate if the emitter had been a multi-modal source.

(The characteristic you describe was used by Bell Labs for DWMD multiplexing.

To de-multiplex the frequencies a nano-prisim could be employed or even a simple quartz based strip-line filter. The differences in the wave phase relationships made for simple de-multiplexing. It wasn't until the 50nm fiber

became common that DWMD became a reasonable solution.)

I degress, I got the impression that this experiment was different then the

July work that had been done. But, that was five years ago and my memory is not as good as it once was. The impression I got was that the photonic

wave form transmittance was different then normal atom to atom transference. The indication I got was that the supercooled cesium conducted the energy from end to end as it it were a single atom. If I remember my old semi-conductor theory there used to be a hole phenomena similar to this, I can't remember if it was Hall effect or some other phenomena. In light of recent work I guess this doesn't make sense anymore.

Dave Cooke

The reason was the laser was a coherent single frequency tuned emitter in the UV range. If I recall correctly the frequency of the laser was tuned to the Photon emission frequency of the Cesium. If the emitter was single mode then there would not have been the mixture of frequencies as indicated in your link. Your link would be appropriate if the emitter had been a multi-modal source.
Thanks for your time. Your info was quite complete and interesting to me.

Your bio leads me to think you might find something of interest here: