Ether evidence?

Capiert

30 minutes ago, Strange said:

The aether is detectable in principle but was not detected, consistent with it not existing.

Is that like dark matter? 

39 minutes ago, Strange said:

You keep saying extra dimensions would make various things easier to understand, but never provide any explanation or justification for this.

I but mostly others have posted multiple links on extra dimensions on this forum. Here is a link on 5 dimensional space time, I may have posted it before. 

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1412/1412.6136.pdf

I have some links re wave particle duality but I think we are drifting off topic, I may start a new thread to explain what nonsense I have been reading now. 

44 minutes ago, interested said:

Similar. The differences are that

• Some, but not all, models of dark matter have been eliminated (including some which are modifications of gravity) whereas all models of ether have been tested and eliminated
  • We know something is required to explain the observations labelled as "dark matter" whereas it turned out that no medium (beyond the electromagnetic field) was required for the aether (there were never any observations supporting it, it was just assumed to be there)
48 minutes ago, interested said:

I but mostly others have posted multiple links on extra dimensions on this forum.

But none of them (including that one) say anything about wave-particle duality or polarisation.

3 hours ago, interested said:

string theory is not aether theory,

Which is why string theory is off-topic for this thread.

2 hours ago, interested said:

I disagree with Strange, here. I would say not very much. 

The aether was predicted but not found. It should have had certain effects, but when experiments were conducted, the effects were not observed. Then a theory came along which did not require it, and ha worked spectacularly.

Dark matter was detected because of effects that it has, even though it was not originally predicted (though it could have been hypothesized, and perhaps it was in some overlooked paper, before observation suggested it). In that sense, it's the opposite of dark matter. 

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Which is why string theory is off-topic for this thread.

I disagree with Strange, here. I would say not very much. 

The aether was predicted but not found. It should have had certain effects, but when experiments were conducted, the effects were not observed. Then a theory came along which did not require it, and ha worked spectacularly.

Dark matter was detected because of effects that it has, even though it was not originally predicted (though it could have been hypothesized, and perhaps it was in some overlooked paper, before observation suggested it). In that sense, it's the opposite of dark matter. 

Since it cant be observed directly could dark matter exist in extra dimensions http://www.speed-light.info/video_dark_matter.htm .

2 hours ago, Strange said:

But none of them

:)

It would be off thread to answer this.