Perception of known and new information - how does it work?

Say Im reading a paper on string theory and Im being told that superstrings live in a 10 dimensional world (9 spacial and 1 time) I cannot visualise the planckian size, curled up aditional 6 spacial dimensions, I just wonder trying to imagine this (unsuccesfuly ofcourse) and move on with the text.

Say Im reading that LIGO detected gravity waves again...Im imediately imagining images of ripples in space. I literally see a short clip or images of space being distorted. I probably do that because I was taught that gravity is curvature of space time.

Say Im being asked by my wife, what time are we going to visit my parrents tomorrow...I answer my wife that we should go see them around 16:00 and while being engaged in that answer, I see images of my folks's place in my mind, glimpses of their faces and so on.

Is this more or less how everybody perceives information or can this be trained or altered to become more efficient? Is there a difference in how we perceive known and unknown information?

I seem to digest all the input I receive by visualising it as some kind of images in my mind. Is this how you guys have it too or does this vary depending on education, training, gender and so on?

Edited by koti

Say Im reading a paper on string theory and Im being told that superstrings live in a 10 dimensional world (9 spacial and 1 time) I cannot visualise the planckian size, curled up aditional 6 spacial dimensions, I just wonder trying to imagine this (unsuccesfuly ofcourse) and move on with the text.

Say Im reading that LIGO detected gravity waves again...Im imediately imagining images of ripples in space. I literally see a short clip or images of space being distorted. I probably do that because I was taught that gravity is curvature of space time.

Say Im being asked by my wife, what time are we going to visit my parrents tomorrow...I answer my wife that we should go see them around 16:00 and while being engaged in that answer, I see images of my folks's place in my mind, glimpses of their faces and so on.

Is this more or less how everybody perceives information or can this be trained or altered to become more efficient? Is there a difference in how we perceive known and unknown information?

I seem to digest all the input I receive by visualising it as some kind of images in my mind. Is this how you guys have it too or does this vary depending on education, training, gender and so on?

That seems strange.

I typically think of it in the form of information.

I don't see images as much unless I'm trying to remember something.

When I read, I have an inner voice.

Most information I read I remember in that voice.

So when we're talking about something, I recall that inner voice bringing up facts about that subject.

When I see something, I usually "talk" about it in my head. Probably processing it. Like I'll "say" it's 6:30 on the clock. And if someone asks me I immediately say around 6:30 because that's the time that was just said to me.

So I guess I hear a voice more then I see images.

You hear voices Raider ?

You should get that checked out or take your meds.

Seriously, different people learn in different ways.

The way information is presented is also very important to the assimilation.

That's why there are good teachers and some really bad ones.

Working as a teacher (adult) for a good portion of my life I've learned a lot conserning what you are saying MigL. In my opinion succesful conveying of information is a subjective thing and depends on audience, level of their knowledge, their agenda, etc. If I had to boil it down though, it is crucial to engage peoples curiosity and make them comfortable which can be done in many different ways.

This is not what Im after in this thread though, Raider hears voices (lol) and I see images while ingesting information in everyday life. I think that Im seeing things in my mind more vividly if I encounter an especially interesting peace of information for me. I might be just thinking in data like Raider does when dealing with a lot of things...Im not seeing images while writing this post for example, Im just concentrating on the data I want to relate to you. I wonder if the way we perceive information is more or less the same in all of us or if there are some major differences. The reason for this thread is that I would like to train myself to be better fit for aquiring complex, new sets of information - like quantum physics for example.

Edited by koti

Koti, it is well understood in educational circles that people differ in their preferences for absorbing knowledge. Some require a strong visual component, others are strongly oriented towards words and so on. Your tendency to visualize is similar to my own approach, but I have met many people who do almost no visulization. I am surprised that, given your background in teaching, you were unaware of this. I believe it is a cornerstone of any form of teacher training.

Koti, it is well understood in educational circles that people differ in their preferences for absorbing knowledge. Some require a strong visual component, others are strongly oriented towards words and so on. Your tendency to visualize is similar to my own approach, but I have met many people who do almost no visulization. I am surprised that, given your background in teaching, you were unaware of this. I believe it is a cornerstone of any form of teacher training.

Im well aware of the information digestion in the context of teaching. I think it was one of the first things I was taught when becoming a teacher in various courses for instructors/teachers.

Im asking here about the process of receiving information in context of everyday life - what time is it? What time did you get up today? etc. What happens in these processes is a bit different from teaching imo.

Edited by koti