What do you think of the idea of a science-themed theme park?

Code42

I highly doubt that. A science center does a much better job at that than a theme park. At science centers, you may actually learn something. A theme park is there for the entertainment and flashy effects.

What might happen is people would get hooked on the Tesla coils, gravity rollercoasters or whatever and would soon lose interest when they find out what level of mathematics and devotion it requires. A science center is a better indication of that and one is more likely to stick to science after showing affection for it in a science center than in a theme park.

I think those elements can be incorporated too. It would have all the qualities of a good science center, but with thrill rides and very high end effects that display scientifically accurate depictions. Like I said, there could be one ride that takes you on a quest through the history of planet Earth, you start off with the lifeless planet of 3-4 billion years ago, then you are presented with several scenarios that depict popular hypothesis about the origin of living material such as abiogenesis, then there's fish, then the Cambrian explosion, then primates, then civilization, then modern times, etc. The animatronics would be first rate. I for one think it would have exactly the result I think it would if done right. Of course it would be called something obvious like "Science World". It would be a hoot. Edited by Code42

I went there, I think it was last summer, to see a Pixar exhibit they were showing. Neat place.

Yes and did you notice, just across the street, there is the Natural History Museum, which I've visited several times. Both marvelous places.

It would help if you knew enough English to understand what he was trying to say.

It would help if you knew enough marketing (and how internet search engines work, and how they rank links) to understand when people want to put you something behind the story..

I was showing that this creationist group is building what is essentially a biblical theme park with plans for large-scale thrill rides. I'd like to see a huge theme park based on actual science and factual information, not creationism. I wasn't advertising these guy's creationist park. I hope it goes out of business to tell you the truth.

Edited by Code42

I was showing that this creationist group is building what is essentially a biblical theme park with plans for large-scale thrill rides. I'd like to see a huge theme park based on actual science and factual information, not creationism. I wasn't advertising these guy's creationist park. I hope it goes out of business to tell you the truth.

No matter if you write good or wrong about crackpot website, but if you include link to website from scientist website, search engine will find link and increase rank of such website automatically.. Search engine does not judge messages about link, just presence of link..

Don't twist your intentions here. You accused him of being a creationist, which is a mistake on your part for not being able to deduce it based on the logical flow of the conversation. Then you make a flippant comment about a miniscule rank increase that will never bother anyone. Crackpot sites are being linked to here often in order to discuss pseudoscience. Why don't you attack those other people who linked those?

Don't move the goalposts here. I still don't see an apology.

No matter if you write good or wrong about crackpot website, but if you include link to website from scientist website, search engine will find link and increase rank of such website automatically.. Search engine does not judge messages about link, just presence of link..

I see what you're saying. That wasn't my intention.

I know the entire premise of this thread is silly anyway, but I'd like not to get bogged down in arguments. This is supposed to be sort of lighthearted and fun. Like, if you were to build a gigantic theme park that is science themed, what kind of rides and attractions would you put in it?

Edited by Code42

Or the same $18M in tax breaks they were given by the state of Kentucky: http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article73971147.html

Tell me about it. Crying shame. And more plans to build up their creationist park empire in the future. The park I'm advocating would be indifferent to religion, and would support Darwinian evolution and Big Bang cosmology.

if you were to build a gigantic theme park that is science themed, what kind of rides and attractions would you put in it?

Definitely Van de Graaff generator, capable to make dozen millions of volts.

Presentation of spectral lines of couple different gases, and how they are split on prism.

Presentation of how they are absorbed by medium (absorption spectrum), and emission spectrum, how they change after turning on/off external magnetic field, and how they are used to identify elements.

Mass spectrometer.

Electron microscope.

Large size electric cooled Cloud Chamber.

Planetarium.

Real-time transmission from ISS from various cameras outside and inside of station.

Edited by Sensei