VPNs

StringJunky

Does a VPN add any worthwhile added protection for financial transactions online, like banking and shopping, on top of the default SSL? I use a separate browser (firefox) for all my stuff involving money and Chrome for general browsing. I'm looking into ways of hardening up the security on the financial part of my internet use.

I use NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin on FireFox and it is setup to delete everything on exit so no passwords or form data are saved.

Edited by StringJunky

That really depends. If you're finding to public WiFi then I'd suggest using a VPN, perhaps back to your home network but if you trust your home network and are only using it then there probably isn't much point.

I have a VPN set up but rarely use it. It does allow me to use my home DNS server so it blocks adverts.

That really depends. If you're finding to public WiFi then I'd suggest using a VPN, perhaps back to your home network but if you trust your home network and are only using it then there probably isn't much point.

I have a VPN set up but rarely use it. It does allow me to use my home DNS server so it blocks adverts.

I only use domestic wifi so you are probably right. Thinking about it after, the tunneling stops at the VPN server and then it's out in the open again from there; it's not end-to-end. Do you think what I've listed is about all I can do? I use uBlock Origin for adblocking, tracking etc.

Edited by StringJunky

I only use domestic wifi so you are probably right. Thinking about it after, the tunneling stops at the VPN server and then it's out in the open again from there; it's not end-to-end. Do you think what I've listed is about all I can do? I use uBlock Origin for adblocking, tracking etc.

I wouldn't bother with a VPN in your case. Protecting the WiFi network your'e using plus keeping your PC clean is the best you can do.

Unique, complex long passwords for everything plus updating everything and using common sense in not contaminating your PC with key stroke readers or other dangerous software is the best you can do.

And don't use public WiFi connections.

I wouldn't bother with a VPN in your case. Protecting the WiFi network your'e using plus keeping your PC clean is the best you can do.

Unique, complex long passwords for everything plus updating everything and using common sense in not contaminating your PC with key stroke readers or other dangerous software is the best you can do.

This.

It's pretty much what I do and periodically re-image with a clean version.

I use NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin on FireFox and it is setup to delete everything on exit so no passwords or form data are saved.

Having to retype login and password every time you go to bank account allows key-loggers to catch it...

Did you hear about virtual keyboards?

Buttons are displayed on screen, and you have to press them by mouse, to enter login and/or password.

So regular key-logger monitoring keyboard activity would be useless.

Some people store logins and password on disk, and then open file, and ctrl-c,ctrl-v.

This also disallows regular key-loggers, so they started monitoring clipboard also for changes..

There has been created special applications storing the all logins and passwords, and then copying them on demand to web browsers forms.

They can protect logins and password quite efficiently (if they are written correctly) f.e. open file in read-write exclusive mode as soon as their service is started at early stage of OS boot.

Some people even use virtual machines: make entire system in file-partition, completely off-line, then burn on DVD,

and every time you need to, load it from DVD (so it's not possible to be altered in the mean time, if it would be kept on HDD),

then boot virtual machine from that file.

Edited by Sensei