illegal aliens and medicine

blike

How do you guys feel about medically treating illegal aliens in your country?

Lets say for instance an illegal alien comes into the emergency room and needs some sort of immediate, expensive care. More than likely the hospital will automatically treat him before they can obtain an extensive history. Should this patient be treated? What happens to him after the treatment? Should he receive followup care? Who pays for his bills?

Well, in Daisy's ideal world everyone gets treated no matter what. I realise that someone foots the bill at the end of the day but I really do wish for a world where medical care does NOT come down to money and everyone gets what they need - illegal immigrant or not. I know this is impossible but it's what I truly wish for. I hate when life and death issues come down to money but I don't have an answer - I'm not an accountant (thank God). Oh dear I've gone all maudlin and sentimental - slap me someone.

By all means, if anyone comes into a hospital needing treatment, they should get it. The answer to this problem is not to pass a law that forces doctors to let people die in front of them. The answer is to be found in taking steps to get our neighbors (*cough Mexico cough*) back on their feet. If we grant some assistance to get their economy self-sufficient on the condition that they clean up their government (especially their police department, one of the world's most corrupt), then the citizens might actually want to stay there.

Originally posted by daisy

I realise that someone foots the bill at the end of the day but I really do wish for a world where medical care does NOT come down to money and everyone gets what they need

The basic problem with that is that if medicine were socialized, it would not be as advanced as it is today. Things like MRI, PET scan, CAT scan, EEG, EKG, advanced surgical procedures and medications, etc. are only possible because of American capitalism. In the large scale, socialization stifles the spirit of invention, because people want to get paid for their ideas. So if we did live in a world in which everyone gets what they need, you would probably be getting treated with leeches.

My $0.02.

Tom

As for giving free care to illegal aliens... we need to be doing more to keep them out of the country. If they're here and need medical treatment, it should be provided, but they should not be here to begin with.

Originally posted by fafalone

As for giving free care to illegal aliens... we need to be doing more to keep them out of the country. If they're here and need medical treatment, it should be provided, but they should not be here to begin with.

How things change.

I'm with Fafalone on this one. The problem of illegal immigrants (apparently getting quite bad here, depending on what papers you read) is an economic/political one and needs to be adressed. But the problem of somebody admitted into A&E is a medical one, and less difficult. They are treated (as anybody in that state should be). It does cost the taxpayer, and that is irritating many people. However, as a proportion of overall cases admitted, illegal immigrants don't account for that many.

It's not only illegal immigrants though. At the hospital I worked at (a large London teaching hospital) it was noticed that a large number of pregnant women were coming to London for 'holidays', very close to term. They would stay in London long enough to go into labour, be brought into A&E by ambulance and be admitted into the labour ward to give birth. Once they were discharged, they would go back home to America.

If they're in London on holiday, surely they aren't an illegal alien...?

Anybody else think it would be interesting to get hold of figures on the actual cost and range of this problem?

I'm of the opinion that nobody should be denied medical assistance, no matter what excuses the people 'in charge' come up with. However a system does need to be developed that can somehow mitigate the financial effect of other countries' patients on a health system, even if it just means invoicing their government (he he he).

No...hence the term "It's not only illegal immigrants...".

I definitley think it would help if all the separate trusts pooled their data on this issue.

I agree. There are no ground for withholding treatment from those in genuine need. I also agree that some system to redress the imbalance caused by non-nationals (i.e. those who haven't been paying for the NHS), seeking 'free', high quality treatment.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But if you think of the logistics involved, not to mention travelling all that way whilst heavily pregnant (flying isn't a good idea when you're that pregnant either), they must have a pretty good reason.

I think you can get returns to new york for a couple of hundred dollars. I know people who fly to the US and buy laptops there, because it is worth it. Having a baby in the US is probably more expensive. oh and faf, people stay in hospital for the duration here, no need to run off to a hotel to recover.

Originally posted by Tom

The basic problem with that is that if medicine were socialized, it would not be as advanced as it is today. Things like MRI, PET scan, CAT scan, EEG, EKG, advanced surgical procedures and medications, etc. are only possible because of American capitalism. In the large scale, socialization stifles the spirit of invention, because people want to get paid for their ideas. So if we did live in a world in which everyone gets what they need, you would probably be getting treated with leeches.

My $0.02.

Tom

First, socializing 'medicine' is a broad concept; there's no reason why care cannot be financed publicly while research remains private.

Second, the meaning of 'american capitalism' has changed over the decades so that the stock-market-dominated "financial engineering" model that has now emerged is actually taking money away from research budgets (as the most productive R&D in patent terms is actually long term 'pure' research, which doesn't do much when profits are measured across financial quarters).

Third, such pure research is actually largely the fruit of public expenditure - the US leads in this field not because the US patent model is stronger (international IPR treaties now make the US patent office the de facto arbiter anyway, certainly in the west) but because US public expenditure on research actually exceeds european expenditure as a proportion of GDP (though this is falling).

Fourth, for SOME REASON cuba has a strong biomed sector. work that one out.

Fifth, intellectual productivity under, say, the german version of capitalism is as strong as under the US system, due to their massive publicly funded network of training and research institutes.

• 1 month later...

i'll throw out an idea, what if the government were to monopolize hospitals, clinics and any other medical establishment? that would end the problem wouldn't it? all would get the help they needed and nobody would lose from persons not beiong able to pay. i'm sure they could get the irs involved in the process to enforce payment, ins to monitor illegal patients. the medical field is a highly profitable industry. the government wouldn't lose. i think programs could get started for insurance companies as well. this is a premature idea and i haven't put much thought into it so don't kill me outright.