favourite bad science in movies

ydoaPs

some of mine are the "28 known galaxies" from superman and space fizziks from just about any scifi movie(sound in space, fire, shock waves, everything being oriented in the same manner, ships sinking once hit in star wars...)

o, cand the core. it was chock full of crap.

post ur own favorites.

Well actually...

<nerd>

The physics of lightsabers make perfect sense see! The hilt blasts energy into the crystal, which causes the crystal core of the saber to be ripped of it's electrons, making it a purely plasma. Since the plasma has no electrons, it is positively charged, and is induced by a magnetic field to form the saber shape. It's perfectly simple Star Wars science, but the likes you

*Snivel*

Just can't comprehend this

*Pushes up glasses*

*Snorts*

beautiful science!

*Snorts more*

Gavin! Neigh!!

</nerd>

:D:P

I understand the physics totally, I have diagrams of the components and such, (something's wrong with me) all I know is that as far as we know, a self contained beam of that nature is not possible (as of yet)

A diatium power cell generates power, which is translated into a beam parallel with the handle by a power field conductor. A series of the power vortex ring, inert power insulator, and energy gate guide the beam to the crystal energy chamber, where it generally passes through a primary crystal and a focusing crystal. The crystals convert the energy to plasmic arc wave energy, which takes place in the hollow, cylindrical blade enrgy channel, converted by cycling field energizers (electromagnetic coils.)

The final beam passes through the crystal lens assembly and energy modulation circuits, and is emitted from the arc emmiter dish. The possitively charge beam, as you said, is drawn back into the blade by the negatively charged high energy flux aperture. s long as the beam is undisturbed, the energy is reabosrbed by the power cell. There are variations on this.

And it's "Glavin", fool

i dont think the force counts... that science works just fine given the world its placed in. its justified by the story.

my favorite one right now is in matrix: reloaded.

namely the part where he catches trinity as shes falling from the sky. i have no problem with him flying through the air at a kabillion miles per hour to catch her, but what is it with humans and catching falling people? we seem to just totally forget the physics behind it. the whole idea of catching someone is that you arent strong enough to really do it, which means instead of truely "catching" them you really just get in the way and help to slow them down before they hit, thus decreasing the acceleration they would normally experience on impact with the ground.

now, the key part from the matrix is this line: "i dont know, but its moving faster than anything ive ever seen before."

that line is referring to neo...

tell me, does "anything ive ever seen before" include the falling trinity? interesting... so he took a falling person, and slammed into them at a kabillion miles per hour instantly accelerating her to his speed... a much greater acceleration than she would experience from hitting the ground. what a hero.

im guessing everyone sees what im talking about, but just to sum it up: trinity=one of those splotches on your windshield, only your windshield is neos face.

If he used gravity to catch her, it wouldn't matter would it? It's a classic sci-fi idea. Using gravity to accelerate means that acceleration is even over all parts of the body, so in effect there is no g-force even when accelerating at maaassive speeds.

my favourite movie is Armageddon (in general). But it has so many flaws that it is the most picked-upon sci-fi film in terms of scientific inaccuracy. I mean the nuke blowing up the asteroid (would just reform), the fire in space (fire in space?! surely not) and a whole lot of others. But then again it wasn't really a particularly serious film was it? I mean sending a lot of rednecks into space...

(Hermes, Zoidberg and Bender come upon the burned-down husk of Dr. Zoidberg's *underwater* home)

Z: How did this happen? <cries>

H: Dat's a very interesting question!

B, picking his cigar out of the ashes: Ahh, there's my cigar...

H: That just raises further questions!

But then again it wasn't really a particularly serious film was it? I mean sending a lot of rednecks into space...
This is actually a large part of my overall plan to decrease Earth's population while increasing mean intelligence when I take over. I even call it my Overall Plan.

Having bullets hit at the same time you hear the sound is very popular... and wrong. And I once saw a show where a sniper used a silencer on a rifle which was using high-velocity bullets. They even mentioned the fact. So why use a silencer when the bullet is going to be breaking the sound barrier?

• 2 weeks later...
So why use a silencer when the bullet is going to be breaking the sound barrier?

To aid in the escape? If you are going to kill someone, do you really want anyone to hear the shot?

I love the weird shimmering yellow green color they always use for science gone wrong.

Hmm, not my favourite, but the most recent,

Stargate Atlantis, it was fun watching all the lightning effortlessly

penetrating this invincible shield. (The tidal wave episode).

After all, no electricity no shield.

No shield, electricty but also a couple of billion tonnes of water.

Oops.

Not to mention how they effortlessly use and repair technology that

it was made well and truly clear(in the original series) was often

beyond many of the more advanced races who had been studing it for centuries. As well as the guy who made a stargate from a microwave

oven.

oh and

"I eat lots of fibre to keep my heart regular and in good health"

(ad that aired during a Sci-Fi show) :confused::eek::D

Cheers.

There was a move called "Dante's Peak" where a volcano erupted. They drove a truck through a field of molten lava - it melted the tires, but they kept on going - didn't even cause the gas tank to explode.

Aliens who miraculously all speak english.

The choreography of space battles - assuming space craft will engage like WWII fighter pilots.

Astronauts walking with normal gaits on low gravity bodies.

I'm particularly fond of the magical lightning strikes in which sound travels at infinite speeds. As soon as the lightning bolt flashes thunder is instantaneously heard!

Watch for it.

Sound in space.

Gaaaah.

Would you really prefer silent space battles? What would they do with all their fancy THX equipment then?

As far as the "sound in space" issue goes, I think a little suspension of disbelief is in order, as otherwise the movie would be rather boring.

Would you really prefer silent space battles? What would they do with all their fancy THX equipment then?

As far as the "sound in space" issue goes' date=' I think a little suspension of disbelief is in order, as otherwise the movie would be rather boring.[/quote']I beg to differ. With the right editing, it's really rather ominous and mesmerizing to move from the inside of the ship with all the sounds of crew, klaxons and engine throb, to the outside of the ship where you watch the missiles strike silently as the ship explodes without a sound, and the only flame is extinguished as soon as the available oxygen is burned up.

It's all a matter of contrasts. Using silence to counterpoint sound is like using shadow to offset light.

Among mine are the fact that all aliens species are basically humanoid in appearance and can cross breed with humans and the fact that humans can arrive at a planet that we have never been on before and beam down, breath the air and seem to be immune to whatever bugs and diseases that have evolved there.