Everything posted by studiot
-
There is no time dilation (split from The twin Paradox revisited)
The problem with this is that it is in opposition to one expression of a fundamental point of relativity. Notably that the is no preferred point of view. Discussing only from the POV of the own frame of a subject, is a preferred point of view.
-
Physics in troubles: the real equation of force is F = ma and not F = dp/dt
Then consider the possibility that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of Mechanics, that goes back nearly to your first studies of the subject. Your basic misunderstanding is this: A rocket is a mechanical system. There is no 'the equation' for this system ie one single solitary equation. A very common situation in Mechanics is that you need to consider more than one equation to solve a system. You need a set of simultaneous equations. This is the case with the rocket system (rocket for short). All that is happening is that you have an equation for the whole system and another one for part of the system. When studying Mechanics you learn this very early on when calculating loads on a static system and reactions via forces and moments.
-
g/G = 1 AU. Discuss
OOps! I inadvertently gave g the wrong units. It should of course be, m/s2 - not m/s Many thanks to @Sensei for pointing this out.
-
g/G = 1 AU. Discuss
You are correct. It is a coincidence. But Genady is also correct that the units don't match. The numbers match in the case of Earth, but not in the case of say, Jupiter. Let us look at some figures. For Earth Dearth = 1.47 x 1011 metres - distance to sun For Jupiter Djupiter = 7.41 x 1011 metres - distance to sun For Earth gearth = 9.81 m/s For Jupiter gjupiter = 24.79 m/s For both G = 6.7 x 10-11 N-metre2/ kg2 So for Earth gearth / G = 9.41/ 6.7 x 10-11 = 1.47 x 1011 kg/metre2 which is the same number of kg/metre2 as the Earth is metres away from the sin. BUT For Jupiter gjupiter / G = 24.79 / 6.7 x 10-11 = 3.7 x 1011 kg/metre2 which is quite different numerically than 7.41 x 1011
-
Atheism, nature or nurture?
I'm not interested to your (other) argument. But I would ask if this is not because of the sentiments put so fully in the words of the Hymn "Immortal, Invisible, God only wise" Definitely implying that God is central to that religion.
-
Atheism, nature or nurture?
Very clever, John, +1 I would like to point out that not only is Nature v Nurture not balck and white, but the issue of belief or disbelief is also non binary. I didn't catch on to Joh's argument until he potently either. For myself as a youg child I just accepted the idea more or less as I was taught. About 12 I worked out for myself the logical inconsistency of an omnipotent being and for a few years I followed the debate. In doing so I never came across any conclusive pros, but the cons began to build up. Then I decided on my third way. I just don't care. I don't need a man in a long black or white garment and a pointy hat to tell me what's what. I can work that out for myself. So I asked myself "would it make any difference to how I go about thing ?". Since my self answer was no I came to the conclusion that the isue was irrelevant to me.
-
photons and magnetic attraction
Thanks for a more detailed explanation. +1
-
Heating
What do you mean gas, minerals ? You can put solids or liquids into an 'ignition tube' and heat in a bunsen burner flame. Or you can put some on a carbon block or in a crucible and heat with a blowpipe. As others have said to heat gas you normally pass an electric discharge through to make it glow. Using an ignition tube is a chemical test or tests. Does it give off a gas?, does it burn? does it decompose totally? If so what colour changes are there and so on. Glow discharge methods require some sort of spectroscopic analysis of the light of the glow (which may only be visual).
-
Electromagnetism
All electric charges possess an electric field around them. When they move their charge interacts with both their own electric field and the electric fields due to any other charges. Moving electric charges induce a magnetic field. We call this effect electromagnetism. This field changes according to the movement of the charges concerned. This distinguishes it from 'permanent magenetic' fields which do not change with movement (apart from moving bodily themselves with the magnet) But as Genady says the term is also used in a more general manner to cover all matter electrical and magnetic.
-
Restoring the brain without electricity
cuts off the electricity of the brain and then turns it on? That is an exaggeration, if you read the article carefully. Our whole bodies, run on electricity. And the squirrels have an unusually low residual state in hibernation. Electricity is not turned on and off like a light switch, it is an integral part of body processes.
-
Artificial Consciousness Is Impossible
I have another comment that I doubt you will like. I have a soft spot for analogue systems. Discussion so far, as so often these days, has concentrated on discrete systems. Nature has no such requirements and uses both analogue and discrete systems as she feels appropriate. The large majority of Man's early constructs have been inherently analagoue. It is only comparatively recently that we have tried to fit everything into the discrete mould, often developed from analogue beginnings. Both analogue and discrete approaches have pros and cons, but discrete ones have an inherent limitation not suffered, in principle, by analogue ones. So it would not suprise me if one day artifical consciousness was generated from an analogue system.
-
Heat Flow
The equipartition theorem no less. +1
-
Small microwave emitters
Well microwave radiation is certainly a large, wide ranging subject in its own right. So I was going to ask you "In what context are you interested in microwave emitters and their construction ?". But clearly microwave emission is happening all the time around us or there would be no microwaves! If the EmDrive works at all, which I doubt, it is all in the tranmission aspect (ie waveguides). So pony up and focus your question please. I take it you are not interested in the biological aspects I mentioned. Note the heating effect of microwaves depends on indirect heating of water or sugar molecules which in turn heat the whole material in you microwave, but as Seth noted these are not the sort of microwaves you generate from pea sized emitters. Here are some real figures and a calculator. https://www.everythingrf.com/rf-calculators/cavity-resonance-frequencies
-
Heat Flow
I was answering your question how EM (no particular frequency) radiation could impart translational energy to molecules. Changing the state from solid to liquid or liquid to gas seems to me to be adding KE to the molecules by the bucketful, since they are then rushing about in a way they did not before the irradiation. Perhaps I misunderstood you.
-
Heat Flow
Laser vapourisation ? https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/prostate-laser-surgery/about/pac-20384874 Laser welding and other uses of lasers as heat sources to melt materials ?
-
AI Developing a Reality of Consciousness May Be Possible
Heaven help us if some fools combines this self awareness with that shape shifting robot that melts itself to get outof jail. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-64668021 Oh sorry they already did that in Holywood - Terminator II.
-
Heat Flow
The idea of unchemists doing unwork fantastic. Reminds me of that great letter about setaside that was doing the rounds about 10 years ago.
-
Small microwave emitters
Yes, why not ? The smallest microwave wavelenght is 1mm so a quarter wave antenna is only 0.25mm. Many insects have antenna that are in the 0.25 to 5mm length range and some are known to respond strongly to microwave radiation. Equally artificial antenna of this size can easily be constructed.
-
Heat Flow
I wish I could give plus one for each line of this. Just so funny.
-
Mushy questions about gravitational waves
OK Both, I believe. Misner, Thorne and Wheeler include description and references in their chapter on gravity waves. But I would say my most important point concerned was the sheer size of objects involved, seeing as you seem to be interested in what possibilities there are for manipulating gravity. You also need to be careful to distinguish between working in space and time separately v spacetime. A wave equation is an eqaution connecting space and time. The ordinary (linear) wave eqaution allows separation of these two variables, by virtues of the linearity. Gravity waves occur in spacetime, but as I said before linear ( ie linearised versions), so the model is essentially non linear. This arises because the solutions to the wave equation, being a partial differential equation, contain arbitrary functions, and it is usual to choose the simplest. But a gravity wave equation will have additional complicated (even complex) relativistic conditions that must also be met. Considering your antenna: Antennas are passive devices (and only thre dimensional at that), which means that they do not generate the required wave, that has to be done by somethng else, as does any modulating signal. So you would still need all the paraphanalia already under discussion. Also since the waves are actually 4D, what do the 'lobes' of such an antenna look like in 4D ? Directional antennas are not impossible in theory because there is already a phenomenon called gravitational lensing (which again involves the big guns) under observation.
-
Relationship between a programming step and a math function discovered.
Yes, you are right about a no-operation, which also applies to Turing mschines. The point about a halt instruction is that as far as I know it is not Turing, but required in some older programming languages. I always used to smile at having to write Stop End Finish I'm pretty sure that was some early Fortran, not Cobol. Your point about interrupts is also interesting. +1
-
Heat Flow
Engineers still use the term Heat Content (AKA enthalpy). Are you going to answer my question ?
-
Mushy questions about gravitational waves
Since you chose not to respond to my mushy comments, is there any reason I should add to them ?
-
Atheism, nature or nurture?
I think learned should include 'worked out for yourself.' I think most folks don't decide for themselves when they first hear about religion, they are indoctorinated. I don't think many are indoctorinated as aethists. I thin aethists are much more likely to 'work it out for themselves' Perhaps Genady (no criticism) is a self confessed work it out for themselves person.
-
Atheism, nature or nurture?
Sounds like the story of the bigendians v the littleendians to me.