Neodymium Magnet (demagnetising process)

I seem to remember that high temperature can kill a Neodymium magnet. I would assume that they can be demagnetise by another magnet but I would not how long it would take. Impact can demag a magnet too.... but the Nd ones are brittle so are more likely to break than demagnetise.

There was a Nd magnet for years holding a deflecting aluminium foil for stray ambers on my standalone fireplace wall.

It dropped as a dead fly a day the temperature was raised considerably. I cannot tell how many degrees, but that data has to be available on the net. So yes, that is one sure way to turn a magnet into a piece of metal.

There was a Nd magnet for years holding a deflecting aluminium foil for stray ambers on my standalone fireplace wall.

It dropped as a dead fly a day the temperature was raised considerably. I cannot tell how many degrees, but that data has to be available on the net. So yes, that is one sure way to turn a magnet into a piece of metal.

The Curie Point of a Neodymium Magnet is 320 C

I bought a 2.5 x 2.5 x 1 inch neodymium 52M block earlier in the year - it was a super fridge magnet for 6 months or so which had about 5 or 6 coins stuck end to end projecting out from the fridge on it in a perfectly horizontal line. :) I assume there are more sensible uses for such a thing, but hey - coin levitation was cool for a bit... visitors would comment on the power of my fridge magnet when they saw the coins tip to tip projecting out into the room. :)

It's in my car now - I can't tell you why it is in there because I undertook an illegal act with it - lol... just for fun and to see if it would work. It did! :)

I too am wondering if it as strong as when I first got it.

Edited by DrP

Heat is a good solution.

An other permanent magnet wouldn't demagnetize a Nd magnet because it wouldn't be strong enough. Nd magnets keep their full magnetization even it assembled head-to-head so no flux passes through. It makes designs using them much easier than with older magnets like AlNiCo.

A strong alternating and damped magnetic field would demagnetize a Nd magnet. It needs like 3T hence can't use a permanent magnet nor a magnetic circuit. The spool that creates this induction consumes several MW which can be provided by the discharge of a really big capacitor, a fraction of m3; the oscillating current suggests a nonpolarized capacitor which is even bulkier.

I did nearly this to magnetize SmCo magnets. An oven is easier.

A strong alternating and damped magnetic field would demagnetize a Nd magnet. It needs like 3T hence can't use a permanent magnet nor a magnetic circuit. The spool that creates this induction consumes several MW which can be provided by the discharge of a really big capacitor, a fraction of m3; the oscillating current suggests a nonpolarized capacitor which is even bulkier.

Heat is a good solution.

An other permanent magnet wouldn't demagnetize a Nd magnet because it wouldn't be strong enough. Nd magnets keep their full magnetization even it assembled head-to-head so no flux passes through. It makes designs using them much easier than with older magnets like AlNiCo.

I did nearly this to magnetize SmCo magnets. An oven is easier.

Thanks Enthalpy, being a complete beginner at this what is 3T? what type of capacitor would demagnatize the Nd magnets?

Thanks

3 Tesla is a BIG induction. Even in a small volume, such an induction stores a big magnetic energy. The capacitor (bank) providing this energy plus the losses is bulky, like 0.2m3, and expensive. The coil and the circuit are difficult to design and build. So this isn't the good method. Heat your magnets instead.