Mobile connection real time location

fredreload

So first I have a question in mind. Does the mobile company uses satellite or radio tower to transfer the wireless internet that we receive on our cell phone? Why can't they make it support laptop internet? And let's say I want to track my cell phone position at real time that would give me x and y coordinate and height, how accurate would it be? Can it be on the centimeter accuracy scale?

So first I have a question in mind. Does the mobile company uses satellite or radio tower to transfer the wireless internet that we receive on our cell phone?

It uses the same radio signals that are used for voice calls.

Why can't they make it support laptop internet?

What do you mean by "laptop internet"? Most (all?) smartphones also have Wi-FI.

And let's say I want to track my cell phone position at real time that would give me x and y coordinate and height, how accurate would it be? Can it be on the centimeter accuracy scale?

The accuracy of GPS is a couple of metres, I think. If you have an iPhone, then you can track it using the "Where's my iPhone" service. I expect there is something similar for Android.

It uses the same radio signals that are used for voice calls.

What do you mean by "laptop internet"? Most (all?) smartphones also have Wi-FI.

The accuracy of GPS is a couple of metres, I think. If you have an iPhone, then you can track it using the "Where's my iPhone" service. I expect there is something similar for Android.

Hey buddy, I looked into it and cell phone uses radio tower but not satellite. GPS uses satellite so the accuracy might not be high, I'm having the cell phone acting as both a receiver and transmitter so I can track my location using wireless internet.

Right well, you can connect laptop to a cell phone and uses its internet, but why can't you log on to the cell phone network with a laptop? Just curious, since these days we can log on internet anywhere with a cell phone anyway.

Hmm, I'm thinking of having an augmented reality built based on this location tracking feature. I mean the hardest part of having augmented reality is having it show at the right place. Between the wall is no good, showing through the wall is no good. My original thought is some type of terrain tracking. But then I think tracking the objects based on its location would have a much easier time.

For instance, let's say I'm in a room and I want to have an augmented reality tv hangs on the wall, I would set to have that tv located at the (x, y, z) position in the house and when my device (cell phone or glasses) go near it I will have it show up on the screen. By doing this I eliminated the need to mount a camera in front of the glasses at all time

So first I have a question in mind. Does the mobile company uses satellite or radio tower to transfer the wireless internet that we receive on our cell phone?

I think they use both depending on where it's got to go... overseas for instance they might use satellite.... depends on traffic volume in the networks.

Why can't they make it support laptop internet?

You can get laptops with slots to put a SIM in and get external dongles.

And let's say I want to track my cell phone position at real time that would give me x and y coordinate and height, how accurate would it be? Can it be on the centimeter accuracy scale?

Not yet.

Hey buddy, I looked into it and cell phone uses radio tower but not satellite. GPS uses satellite so the accuracy might not be high, I'm having the cell phone acting as both a receiver and transmitter so I can track my location using wireless internet.

The cell phone uses radio towers for communication and GPS for location. Using phones to track location in this way is pretty standard.

Right well, you can connect laptop to a cell phone and uses its internet, but why can't you log on to the cell phone network with a laptop?

I think you can get adapters to do that.

Hmm, you got a radio tower sending wireless signal to a cell phone, the cell phone performs some action and sends it back to the tower, but the cell phone signal is weak, how does the signal gets from the cell phone to the tower D:? Answer found.

Edited by fredreload

I found out that the signal is detected by a phone mast. Well, here is a Network-based tracking technique provided by Wikipedia. I'm not sure if it is reliable enough to be applied for augmented reality. Well, out of most of the positioning hardware out there it doesn't seem like we can be picky about it. If you're interested you can look into indoor positioning system.

I found out that the signal is detected by a phone mast. Well, here is a Network-based tracking technique provided by Wikipedia. I'm not sure if it is reliable enough to be applied for augmented reality.

As I said, the precision of GPS is a few metres. This doesn't seem to stop people using the for augmented reality applications and games (e.g. Pokemon-Go). They may use image recognition and other clues to improve the accuracy.

As I said, the precision of GPS is a few metres. This doesn't seem to stop people using the for augmented reality applications and games (e.g. Pokemon-Go). They may use image recognition and other clues to improve the accuracy.

Well, in order for image recognition to work you need a camera and you have to map the terrain like the Vuforia application. I've never really compared the two, but mine would need a more accurate positioning system to boot(no need for camera :D). Right, Pokemon-Go is a good example for augmented reality. I've also read the possibility of a low altitude satellite for augmented reality applications. Well a few metres apart would be a problem. I'm eliminating the possibility of having a computer mounted head set that would create a 3D structure as I go. What I'm more interested is having a 3D structure generated on the spot, all that the headset do is project the image onto the screen, all you need is a glove, and all the collision detection and interactions are done through the mobile network on the back end computer. That is why positioning is important for this. Another possibility for such an idea is shared vision. Once you turn off your computer headset you can't really track the objects anymore, while having a back end computer helps other people to see your design at the same spot

P.S. While at it here is an interesting clip about augmented reality, the guy calls it hyper reality. Your idea will probably be realized sooner. Vuforia is a good application, in a sense the hyper reality video can probably be realized right at this point

Edited by fredreload

Does the mobile company uses satellite or radio tower to transfer the wireless internet that we receive on our cell phone?

Internet from Satellite has very large delay.

Find at what altitude is some satellite,

divide by speed of light, multiply by 2.

It's the smallest delay you could have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostationary_orbit

"Geostationary orbit is a circular orbit 35,786 kilometres (22,236 mi) above the Earth's equator"

35786 km * 2 / 299792.458 km/s = ~0.239 s

If you would send data to satellite, it would transmit to server,

server prepare reply, send to satellite, it would transmit to your device,

you would have data back after ~0.5 s minimum.

Edited by Sensei

Hmm, the biggest problem I see about the current AR applications is that the image overlap the fingers. Without depth perception you can't really decide whether the image of the button should show through or should not show through. Again the hardest problem is perception. So by having the XYZ coordinates of the hand(glove) and the objects would help calculate whether the image should show through or not when it appears on the camera. To get even more detailed you would need a scan of all the objects presented in your room to check if the AR image should show through your desk or not. But before we get there, we will need an accurate location tracker of the hand and its collisions with the objects. The desk would be constructed by scale into the virtual world without a scanning technology, you simply program all these objects in a 3D environment similar to that of Unity to decide when the objects should show or not based on the location of the camera. Now I want to make this software based so that it is easier to update the software then the hardware. The location tracker shouldn't be that big of a problem. The actual physics behind punching the button or having the images show or not show would be something to overcome. I really enjoy the hyper-reality video I posted