How to fix overpopulation?

ModernArtist25

They're only platitudes when we stop looking for meaning, for instance how do we know what difference those tasks will make?

Because we have already seen the difference they make. And we understand the reasons why they make a difference. And they are worth doing anyway.

I realise you think it is hopeless and there is nothing we can do because it is impossible to predict the future and we should just let nature take its course (whatever that means). But luckily, there are people with a more positive and constructive outlook who are willing to try and make the world a better place.

• 4 weeks later...

Education isn't enought. What does really dramatically lower, is when a society does not have any believe of how to found a family with children.

I want to say is after second world war we had in west europe very high birth rates of 3 to 4 children per woman!!! This was in a time of economic booming. You explanation that education can't be right, because west europe was already highly educated and civilised at this time.

My brain just realised moments ago what the real reason for our low birth rates are. Its liberalisation.

Modern society do not pressure anymore that you have to marry very young and create children.

My grandpa told me when he was young it was expected by family and friends that you marry early and create children. This "single live" was indirect not accepted by society. Very conservative times, indeed. Urghh... Most women were hisewives and didn't have a job.

Edited by Der_Neugierige

It's specifically education for women, which was not as accessible for those who grew up before and during WWII and would have been having children immediately following the war. Education and career opportunities didn't really open up for women until well into the post-war period.

Additionally, the fact that many people had put off marrying and having children for several years during the war, and the fact that the GI bill and other support for veterans that existed at the time meant that a lot of young men were coming home in a position to immediately or very rapidly acquire the means to support a family created a situation where a lot of people were having families at once.

What would have been a lot of wartime children or children born a bit further on from the war once their parents had gotten into a more established position got condensed into a smaller period of time and greatly contributed to a baby boom that would not have existed under economic conditions of a similar level minus the impact of the war.

What would have been a lot of wartime children or children born a bit further on from the war once their parents had gotten into a more established position got condensed into a smaller period of time and greatly contributed to a baby boom that would not have existed under economic conditions of a similar level minus the impact of the war.

Was the post-war baby boom global? I only thought, erroneously probably, that it was a UK phenomenon. I haven't googled it yet.

It's specifically education for women, which was not as accessible for those who grew up before and during WWII and would have been having children immediately following the war. Education and career opportunities didn't really open up for women until well into the post-war period.

That is exactly what is also being seen now in third-world countries. Birth rates decline with increasing education and career opportunities for women. Additional factors include access to family planning and reduced child mortality. The latter may be slightly counter-intuitive but shows that when parents are certain their child will survive they tend to plan to have fewer children.

Edited by CharonY