• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 markosheehan

markosheehan

Quark

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 6 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

is the function x²+3 surjective for real numbers. how do you test for surjectivity in general?

#2 ajb

ajb

Physics Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 9,905 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg City, Luxembourg

Posted 6 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

You should think about solutions to

x^2 + 3 - y =0

Can this be solved for any real y?  Or can you find at least one y where this equation cannot be solved?

"In physics you don't have to go around making trouble for yourself - nature does it for you" Frank Wilczek.

Mathematical Ramblings.

#3 mathematic

mathematic

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 6 June 2016 - 11:58 PM

If x is real, x^2+3 \ge 3

#4 ajb

ajb

Physics Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 9,905 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg City, Luxembourg

Posted 7 June 2016 - 05:06 AM

If x is real, x^2+3 \ge 3

I was hoping markosheehan would reach such a conclusion by himself... I think this question could be homework.
"In physics you don't have to go around making trouble for yourself - nature does it for you" Frank Wilczek.

Mathematical Ramblings.

#5 blue89

blue89

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

is the function x²+3 surjective for real numbers. how do you test for surjectivity in general?

May I ask what that means ,"surjective" ??

#6 HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:51 PM

May I ask what that means ,"surjective" ??

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "surjective" (also called "from A onto B") if and only if, for every y in B there exist x in A such that f(x)= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "injective" (also called "one to one") if and only if, whenever f(x)= f(y), x= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "bijective" if and only if it is both surjective and injective (for every y in B, there exist one and only one x in A such that f(x)= y).  A function is "invertible" if and only if it is bijective. 

Edited by HallsofIvy, 27 August 2016 - 01:52 PM.

#7 studiot

studiot

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,744 posts
  • LocationSomerset, England

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "surjective" (also called "from A onto B") if and only if, for every y in B there exist x in A such that f(x)= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "injective" (also called "one to one") if and only if, whenever f(x)= f(y), x= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "bijective" if and only if it is both surjective and injective (for every y in B, there exist one and only one x in A such that f(x)= y).  A function is "invertible" if and only if it is bijective. 

Nice and complete +1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users