Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markosheehan

functions

7 posts in this topic

is the function x²+3 surjective for real numbers. how do you test for surjectivity in general?

You should think about solutions to

[math] x^2 + 3 - y =0[/math]

Can this be solved for any real y? Or can you find at least one y where this equation cannot be solved?

If x is real, [latex]x^2+3 \ge 3[/latex]

I was hoping markosheehan would reach such a conclusion by himself... I think this question could be homework.

is the function x²+3 surjective for real numbers. how do you test for surjectivity in general?

May I ask what that means ,"surjective" ??

May I ask what that means ,"surjective" ??

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "surjective" (also called "from A onto B") if and only if, for every y in B there exist x in A such that f(x)= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "injective" (also called "one to one") if and only if, whenever f(x)= f(y), x= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "bijective" if and only if it is both surjective and injective (for every y in B, there exist one and only one x in A such that f(x)= y). A function is "invertible" if and only if it is bijective.

Edited by HallsofIvy

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "surjective" (also called "from A onto B") if and only if, for every y in B there exist x in A such that f(x)= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "injective" (also called "one to one") if and only if, whenever f(x)= f(y), x= y.

A function, f, from set A to set B, is said to be "bijective" if and only if it is both surjective and injective (for every y in B, there exist one and only one x in A such that f(x)= y). A function is "invertible" if and only if it is bijective.

Nice and complete +1