Sodium chloride solution, intravenous...

Externet

A post coronary operation patient in recovering stage connected to a intravenous bag was advised to minimize as possible the ingestion of salty food.

Does administering ClNa solution conflicts with the 'prescription' ?

Or should the solution had been potassium chloride. ?

Is it intra-venous or intra-arterial or does not matter ?

A post coronary operation patient in recovering stage connected to a intravenous bag was advised to minimize as possible the ingestion of salty food.

Does administering ClNa solution conflicts with the 'prescription' ?

Or should the solution had been potassium chloride. ?

Is it intra-venous or intra-arterial or does not matter ?

I think they are asking the patient to abstain from salty foods because they want to be in more direct control of the patient's NaCl levels via IV administration. If the patient eats salty food as well as having it IV injected it may cause confounding test results and adverse physical effects.

Edited by StringJunky

Thanks. The advise/prescription was intended for the near and distant future diets, not during a hospital were foods were controlled. Perhaps I missed to detail the explanation.

Right. Long term, excess sodium chloride in the blood increases water intake into the bloodstream, which increases blood pressure. In a heart patient, attaining and maintaining a suitable lower blood pressure is very desirable for a good long term prognosis. Potassium chloride slows your heart down. It's used in executions, in the US, to stop the heart... I imagine IV administration of KCl in medical circumstances would only be given under attendant, medical supervision..

Edited by StringJunky

This is worryingly close to medical advice from a bunch of people who aren't qualified *but...

If you plan to add something to a person's blood stream, you should generally make sure it's isotonic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytolysis

Whetehr you do that woith salt, sugar or something else depends on circumstances.

* one of the important qualifications is knowing the details of the patient

The vast majority of I.V. fluids given to patients is normal saline (0.9% NaCl - isotonic).

There are extremely few circumstances when you give anything via an artery. You will get some normal saline 'flushes' if you have an arterial line, but if you need fluids it would still be given into a vein. I never gave anything but such flushes in 10 years of nursing. I saw it once though - an I.V. medication given into an artery by accident: not good.

Generally food intake is not well monitored at all in hospital: if you find yourself in hospital and you are concerned with any aspect of your diet ask your nurse for a referral to a dietician (at least a day before anticipated discharge home).