Inhaling hydrogen gas?

recursive

There are so many easy ways to produce hydrogen gas. Aluminum and hydrochloric acid might be the easiest. But my question is:

Is it safe to inhale hydrogen gas? Or do you just violently explode into a puff of random inexplicable dead-ness?

I seriously couldn't find anything from perusing the rest of the the world wide internetwebs...

So please answer or you will feel guilty when I explode from inhaling H2, with only the innocent intention of saying 'wasuuuup' in a high-pitched voice. Oh the horror! Egad!

Thanks in advance,

--who_needs_a_signature_when_your_name_is_already_written_next_to_your_post...--

Is it safe to inhale hydrogen gas?

No!

If you don't violently explode first, you will asphyxiate, soil your pants and die an embarassing death.

If you want to play with some funny gas, play with Helium.....or pinto beans.....

And if you are hell bent on dying, die of old age with some dignity man!

You sir are a true experimentalist!

As far as asphixyation goes, I believe that Helium and H2 are probably similar, but they do differ in that one is associated with a very loud POP with even a minor spark. And if I were a paramedic trying to rescue a victim of helium or hydrogen asphyxiation......uhm....I choose the helium guy by a long shot. The hydrogen guy can lay there for a few hours while the air clears out......

How come you don't look for another hobby?

You sir are a true experimentalist!

As far as asphixyation goes, I believe that Helium and H2 are probably similar, but they do differ in that one is associated with a very loud POP with even a minor spark. And if I were a paramedic trying to rescue a victim of helium or hydrogen asphyxiation......uhm....I choose the helium guy by a long shot. The hydrogen guy can lay there for a few hours while the air clears out......

How come you don't look for another hobby?

My other hobbies...would probably kill me faster...

Well, I'm pretty good at not dying; I know I've risked invisible unpleasant death from chlorine gas in my basement. Also from battery acid in my face. And pure lithium metal. In my face...

So I'm up for a challenge. We'll see...

Well, I'm pretty good at not dying; I know I've risked invisible unpleasant death from chlorine gas in my basement. Also from battery acid in my face. And pure lithium metal. In my face...

Good lookin fellar are ya?

Dear Lord, have mercy on his soul. He's coming home soon.

It is relatively safe to inhale hydrogen, but not as safe as helium. Avoid smoking, sparks, and fire, as you really don't want to risk lighting it (you could potentially explode). It might not be fatal, but I wouldn't want to find out.

Hydrogen can asphyxiate you, so you should make sure that if you fall unconscious, you will start breathing normal air. In other words, do not attach a hydrogen mask like the oxygen ones in medicine, or fill a room with it and go there.

Basically, be careful with it and you should be fine.

Yes you can get hydrogen from the reaction of acids with metals (although the easiest one i think is with Zn). There are other methods like electrolysis, industrial method, methane heating etc.

I don't think inhaling hydrogen or any other gas in lab would me a wise thing. One of the strict rules that every student or professor should follow while working in a chemistry lab is not inhaling directly anything! If you really want to inhale it, then use your hand to pull it gently toward your nose!

I strongly advise against doing it at all, even if you can scrub the gas to remove any HCl mist (I`ll bet you didn`t even think about that did you?).

I don`t know how it will reacts with the blood/brain barrier, Helium after all IS inert at least.

i would think that H2 would be more than capable of being absorbed in significant quantities by the blood. i have absolutely no idea what these effects would be but they would range from 'not very good but temporary' to 'extremely bad and permanent'.

do it with helium. it doesn't do anything but displace oxygen.

People do inhale hydrogen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathing_gas

With clean hydrogen and proper precautions it is safe.*

I'ts also pointless; stick to helium if you want to sound like Donald Duck, or better yet, don't bother.

* This is "safe" in the rather unusual sense of "less risky than oxygen toxicity or nitrogen narcosis", rather than the usual meaning.

I strongly advise against doing it at all, even if you can scrub the gas to remove any HCl mist (I`ll bet you didn`t even think about that did you?).

I don`t know how it will reacts with the blood/brain barrier, Helium after all IS inert at least.

Hey c'mon, give me some credit man... I _did_ think of the HCL mist. But I know how to remove it: just run mah bubblez through some more water! You can absorb maybe 400 liters of hcl in one liter of water, so...that should work pretty well.

Plus we're going to run out of helium in the next 50 years anyway...

Mmm, detonating gas.

Well, I will make sure I don't breathe fire at any point during the experiment, but beyond that I don't know. I have seen/heard hydrogen balloons explode. Good way to get attention unless you are the hydrogen balloon...

But really, I just won't inhale my piezoelectric sparker...

I have seen/heard hydrogen balloons explode. Good way to get attention unless you are the hydrogen balloon...

Yes, I have seen such thing too, and I think that is due to hydrogens very low density. If you kinda limit it (like putting it in the balloon), it tends to expand and it is that attempt to expand that makes the balloons explode.

Well, I will make sure I don't breathe fire at any point during the experiment, but beyond that I don't know.
Stay away from all electronic devices (like cell phones) that could create sparks. Also, if you're doing this in your basement, be sure you're nowhere near the water heater and it's pilot light. Thermostats can also throw off a naked spark when they turn your furnace or air conditioner on.

This is certainly not intended to be a complete checklist. There seem to be a whole bunch of reasons NOT to breathe H and none to justify it.

He will make you sound funny. H could make you look funny.

Stay away from all electronic devices (like cell phones) that could create sparks. Also, if you're doing this in your basement, be sure you're nowhere near the water heater and it's pilot light. Thermostats can also throw off a naked spark when they turn your furnace or air conditioner on.

This is certainly not intended to be a complete checklist. There seem to be a whole bunch of reasons NOT to breathe H and none to justify it.

He will make you sound funny. H could make you look funny.

Thanks. Would taking the experiment outside help?

Would taking the experiment outside help?
The experiment where you inhale hydrogen so you can say, "Whassup?" in a voice slightly higher than if you'd used helium? It should lessen the possibilities of sparks from electronic devices. It won't do anything to lessen the concentration of hydrogen in your lungs.

As hermanntrude suggests, there will always be 1 chance in x that you will die in order to complete the experiment. I guess you're the only one who can decide if the result is really worth the risk.

Personally, I understand people taking big risks for big gain. With this experiment I'm having trouble seeing where the gain offsets the risk.