• Moderators
  • 8,606 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 9 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

might be psychological
[14:02] <Sato> I
[14:02] <Sato> want
[14:02] <Sato> Schroedinger
[14:04] == Schroedingers_hat [~matt@CPE-121-222-209-157.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au] has joined #sfn

#4 jackson33

jackson33

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 9 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

good question.

recently they have decided we need so much in liquids daily and water alone is not that important. my guess in time they will figure fresh water is what we basically are and addition water is not what we need. liquids yes, but why water. i have not drank any water in ten or fifteen years. coffee and beer after five only. the only result has been i never need to get up during the night, i sleep better and have lost my sour stomach syndrome.

#5 bascule

bascule

Genius

• Validating
  • 8,433 posts
  • LocationThe center of the universe (from my frame of reference)

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:32 AM

Umm, osmosis?
Radicalism: The conservatism of tomorrow injected into the affairs of today.
-- Ambrose Bierce

#6 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:26 AM

well, we have a fresh supply of water so the body can afford to flush some of the waste out. i think thats it anyway.
Tired of waiting around for a reply on the forums? Use IRC, 'I don't know how' is no longer an excuse.

"Special" Relativity, stupid ideas seem smarter when they come at you really fast.

#7 Pleiades

Pleiades

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBermuda

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:39 AM

When you drink water (or any water based drinks) the water has to go somewhere, it can’t stay in your intestines or else you’d get diarrhoea. The water you drink goes first into your bloodstream and from there to the rest of your body. If you are dehydrated, the cells in your body will absorb the water they need form your blood, but if you already have enough water, the extra water in your blood is filtered out by your kidneys, which empty into your bladder.

The concentration of water in your body has to be kept fairly constant to keep you alive. 3 or 4 days without water and you’ll die

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

#8 Bluenoise

Bluenoise

Biology Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 871 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:50 AM

Oh is that what we're supposed to do?

And here I've been throwing it back up like a sucker all this time.

#9 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,606 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:16 AM

When you drink water (or any water based drinks) the water has to go somewhere, it can’t stay in your intestines or else you’d get diarrhoea. The water you drink goes first into your bloodstream and from there to the rest of your body. If you are dehydrated, the cells in your body will absorb the water they need form your blood, but if you already have enough water, the extra water in your blood is filtered out by your kidneys, which empty into your bladder.

The concentration of water in your body has to be kept fairly constant to keep you alive. 3 or 4 days without water and you’ll die

I didn't interpret the original question that way. As I understand it, water takes about 20-30 minutes to be filtered through the body. Given this, why do we often have to urinate immediately after takinga drink? I'm guessing it might be psychological.
[14:02] <Sato> I
[14:02] <Sato> want
[14:02] <Sato> Schroedinger
[14:04] == Schroedingers_hat [~matt@CPE-121-222-209-157.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au] has joined #sfn

#10 Norman Albers

Norman Albers

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationAt the apex of a particular set of light-cones.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:49 AM

I suspect the body has several levels of signals, I mean realize we're talking stomach absorption, and kidney/bladder state already partly realized. I know breathing works on several levels, short-term and long-term.
Here at Singularities-R-Us, we specialize in the elimination of embarrassing orders of infinity and pesky asymptotic dependencies. http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/physics/na

#11 Bluenoise

Bluenoise

Biology Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 871 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

I didn't interpret the original question that way. As I understand it, water takes about 20-30 minutes to be filtered through the body. Given this, why do we often have to urinate immediately after takinga drink? I'm guessing it might be psychological.

I was under the impression that the question wasn't intended seriously in the first place...

#12 Pleiades

Pleiades

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBermuda

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

I personally don't usually feel the urge to urinate after a drink, unless I already had a full bladder at the time.

I was under the impression that the question wasn't intended seriously in the first place...

Possibly, but I prefer to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

#13 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

Trickster Archetype

• Moderators
  • 6,212 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

Oh is that what we're supposed to do?

And here I've been throwing it back up like a sucker all this time.

Wish I'd thought of that. Much less exhausting than sweating it all out.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

#14 carol

carol

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 172 posts
  • LocationNear the Equator

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:41 AM

I don't know. If you mean pee right after drinking water, its not always true, but it usually happens. I think its related to change in body temperature because we often urinate when its cold. And, it might just be psychological too (you would feel like peeing if you see a stream of water).
"Ang di ka utot, patay" -Carol

#15 Norman Albers

Norman Albers

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

I experience the psychological reaction Carol speaks about. Just hearing the tinkling of water triggers something. There a several levels and impressive programming in our autonomic nerve system. {EDITORS, I don't see the cursor. I curse.}
Here at Singularities-R-Us, we specialize in the elimination of embarrassing orders of infinity and pesky asymptotic dependencies. http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/physics/na

#16 mr d

mr d

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

Hello

I believe part of it is your body clearing the way, or basically your kidneys and such know it will process the water quickly, and a signal is sent to your bladder were if anything is there its gotta go to make room for what's coming.

Mr D

#17 Norman Albers

Norman Albers

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

You speak of multilevel physical programming. One would be bladder stress, another blood dilution, and then possibly what you say.

#18 mr d

mr d

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hello

I don't equite equate it as complex as Multilevel programming, more a simple subsystem notification arrangement, one for amount of liquid being processed and rate, and the other just a storage capacity check. If amount and rate is more than current capacity increase storage capacity through system purge.

Mr D

#19 satrohraj

satrohraj

Quark

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

no we don't
We pee only when I urinary bladder is full
The urinary bladder is full when the urine gets collected
The Urine gets collected when the kidneys purify the blood

I think its no way related to drinking water
I'm-Un-Break-A-Ble :cool:

#20 Norman Albers

Norman Albers

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:00 AM

In some public place, be slightly obvious about slowly pouring a drink into a glass or something. See how many people get up and exit. I am prepared to abandon a hypothesis proven worthless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users