Kno3

kyle32123

I know you can buy it as fertiizer, but i looked and coulnd find any fertilizer with KNO3 in it. Im prolly not looking for the right kind of fertilizer. Can you show me a site where they have fertilizer with a considerable amountof KNO3 in it please? I just want to be able to go to the garden store or hardware store and buy it so coulde you tell me the best way to get it without ordering offline.

nitrate of potash it would be known as, it`s also used a stump rot for getting rid of tree stumps.

what is the fertiliser for? if it`s just for the Nitrogen content then you`re as well off with nitrate of soda and even better is Ammonium Nitrate as Nitro-Chalk.

if its for the Potassium, you can use simple wood ash diluted, or sulphate of potash if it`s for an erricasious(sp) soil.

chempak #8 is great for these things too, tomatoes,chilis etc...

Yea i mean i want the KNO3 lol, i have a bag of fertilizer that is 29-3-4, is there any way i could take the nitrogen out of the fertilizer? I dont care how complicated it is i was jsut wondering if it can be done. I bought the KNO3 from UnitedNuclear, thanks..

what you need is 13-0-46 fertilizer which is KNO3, seeing you probably live in USA, you can probably buy a 25kg bag from any plant store lol.

29-3-4, its nitrogen, phosporus, potassium, you can not use it

• 7 months later...
;283946']what you need is 13-0-46 fertilizer which is KNO3' date=' seeing you probably live in USA, you can probably buy a 25kg bag from any plant store lol.

29-3-4, its nitrogen, phosporus, potassium, you can not use it[/quote']

I live in america and i actually don't see any fertilizer with a high KNO3 content

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
How to get KNO3:

Go to the nearest Home Depot or Lowe's and Buy stump remover...

the stump remover is 99.9% Potassium Nitrate

I have used it often.. it usually goes for around 6 dollars for 2 pounds

3 dollars per pound? Ouch. Buying it in fertilizer form will cost you 50 cents or less per pound.

Did you really buy it for that price? I have the feeling that you just are teasing a little bit. KNO3 is not as easy to find as you suggest. In many countries (including the one where I live), there simply is no fertilizer which is made of almost pure KNO3, and I also think that this is the case for the USA in many places.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a fertilizer which was really cheap (1.6$ for 2pounds) and i melted it with sugar ((KNO3=60%):(C6H12O11=40%)) and it burned quite well with lot of smoke.

1.Does someone knows how can i test how much KNO3 there is in a fertilizer?

2.What are the products of burning potassium nitrate and sugar? (is it K2CO3)?

- if it is K2CO3 then - can someone tell me something about this compound?

3.Are there are other uses of KNO3 in pyrotechnics except Black Powder?

Waiting for reply....

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a fertilizer which was really cheap (1.6$ for 2pounds) and i melted it with sugar ((KNO3=60%):(C6H12O11=40%)) and it burned quite well with lot of smoke.

1.Does someone knows how can i test how much KNO3 there is in a fertilizer?

2.What are the products of burning potassium nitrate and sugar? (is it K2CO3)?

- if it is K2CO3 then - can someone tell me something about this compound?

3.Are there are other uses of KNO3 in pyrotechnics except Black Powder?

Waiting for reply....

KNO3 can be used for ALL SORTS of effects in pyrotechnics. The potassium content causes violet flame color, while the oxygen content provides for combustion. Also, potassium nitrate is used to preserve meats, under the name "salt peter". In some of the wars in the last century it was fed to soldiers for reasons not to be considered here.

It is not a violent oxygen-providing compound, so other less stable nitrates and chlorates are often used. Most oxidizers can be quite dangerous, so stick to the academics until you are sure of what you can expect. Imp.

(BTW, black powder as mfd. commercially, is not a simple mixture containing KNO3. The process is a bit more involved than just mixing)

KNO3 can be used for ALL SORTS of effects in pyrotechnics. The potassium content causes violet flame color, while the oxygen content provides for combustion. Also, potassium nitrate is used to preserve meats, under the name "salt peter". In some of the wars in the last century it was fed to soldiers for reasons not to be considered here.

It is not a violent oxygen-providing compound, so other less stable nitrates and chlorates are often used. Most oxidizers can be quite dangerous, so stick to the academics until you are sure of what you can expect. Imp.

(BTW, black powder as mfd. commercially, is not a simple mixture containing KNO3. The process is a bit more involved than just mixing)

what do you mean by the process is a bit more involved than just mixing? is there something that they do that makes it more powerful?

there are two main methods for producing BP the ball mill method and the precipitation method, bith have pros and cons, ball mill is much easier but it requires allot of ball mill usage (there again so does the other one...) the downside of the precipitation method is that it is very labourious Ill post the two methods below:

The ball mill method

1. crush the charcoal with a hammer between two sheets of card. then Sieve the ground charcoal through a 30 mesh sieve.

2. Weigh out the charcoal, for every 100g of charcoal, add 67g of sulfur, 1/4 fill the ball mill with this mixture. Put the media in and run the mill for 3 hours.

3. on opening the mill, you should find an incredibly fine black/greyish powder. Sieve this to get the media of the mill out, and weigh it. In a separate container, place 75 grams of potassium nitrate for every 25 grams of charcoal/sulfur powder you have. Put the potassium nitrate in your ball mill, and mill it for 3 hours. You should have a very fine white/greyish powder.

4. Now mix the charcoal/sulfur mix with the potassium nitrate. Don't bother to mix it very thoroughly, since that will happen in the mill soon enough. To this mixture, add 6% of water. I spray it over the powder that I spread out on a sheet of paper to make sure all of it becomes wet. Put the wet powder in your mill and let it run for 5 hours. Every hour or so, check to see if the powder is still wet. If it dries out the risk of accidential ignition greatly increases.

5. Sieve the powder to get the media out, spread it out on a large sheet of paper and let it dry. If possible in the sun. Needless to say you shouldn't heat it in order to dry it more quickly, just be patient.

6. When dry, sieve the black powder through a few sieves to get several fractions for different purposes.

The precipitation method

1. Take your raw charcoal and crush it with a hammer between two sheets of paper. Wear old clothing and do this outside, since it is very messy. Sieve the charcoal through a coarse sieve (about 30 mesh).

2. Weigh the charcoal. To every 100 grams of charcoal, add 67 grams of sulfur, and fill 1/4th of your ball mill with this mixture. Put the media in and let the mill run for 8 hours.

3. While the mill is running, place 600 ml isopropylalcohol in a large container for every 100 grams of charcoal/sulfur mix you have, and place it in the fridge.

4. When you open your mill, you should find an incredibly fine black/greyish powder. Sieve this to get the media of the mill out, and weigh it. In a separate container, place 75 grams of potassium nitrate for every 25 grams of charcoal/sulfur powder you have. Put the potassium nitrate in an old pan, and add 40 ml tap water for every 100 grams of potassium nitrate.

5. Place the pan on the stove and bring it to a boil while continuesly stirring. When the solution starts boiling, start adding small amounts of water while stirring all the time untill all the potassium nitrate has dissolved.

6. Add an extra 10 ml tap water and the charcoal/sulfur mixture to the boiling potassium nitrate solution. Stir the charcoal/sulfur mixture in the solution. Make sure there are no dry clumbs left.

7. By now, your isopropylalcohol should have cooled to at least 0 deg C or colder. Take the isopropylalcohol outside, and pour the potasium nitrate solution/charcoal/sulfur into the cold isopropylalcohol. Make sure there are no sources of ignition nearby! Stir for a few seconds.

8. Cool the mixture again to 0 deg C at the fastest rate you can. The faster the better.

9. Filter the mixture through an old cloth, and squeeze to get all the liquid out. Discard the black liquid.

10. Spread the black mush out on a sheet of paper, and dry it in the sun. Don't try to dry it inside since it will produce a lot of flammable vapour from the ispropylalcohol. When it is still slightly wet to the touch, press it through a sieve to corn it. Then dry it further.

11. When dry, sieve the black powder through a few sieves to get several fractions for different purposes.

that`s still only a version of green meal!

to make Proper BP, it needs to pressed with 100`s of tons of pressure to make a puck, it sounds like a ceramic when pressed correctly, it`s then broken up and graded and then polished, and graded again.

so unless you can apply several tons of pressure, you`ll never be able to make Proper BP.

you can get close if you use several `I` beams and a car jack though.