Which galaxies will become gravitationally bound to us after our collision with Andromeda?

MarkE

On 11/16/2017 at 10:28 AM, StringJunky said:

Anything more than 200mlyrs apart will  have no effect on each other gravitationally and won't ever because of expansion by dark energy. Anything less than that distance can potentially overwhelm it and be influenced gravitationally.

This visualisation of the  structure at the supercluster level shows the gaps between the threads; these will get bigger and the threads will get thinner. The gaps represent where dark energy dominates.

main-qimg-88962ceb0cf2c379b2e722896bcfda

Um, ya I don't mean to go off topic but that is dark matter, the picture, Dark energy does not group like that, it is equal in all parts of the universe to human knowledge, which mordred already said that after reading past that point, so whatever, but that is Dark Matter not Dark Energy.

Edited by Vmedvil

5 hours ago, Vmedvil said:

Um, ya I don't mean to go off topic but that is dark matter, the picture, Dark energy does not group like that, it is equal in all parts of the universe to human knowledge, which mordred already said that after reading past that point, so whatever, but that is Dark Matter not Dark Energy.

No, it is not Dark Matter. As StringJunky said, it is a visualization of the large scale structure of the universe.

36 minutes ago, zapatos said:

No, it is not Dark Matter. As StringJunky said, it is a visualization of the large scale structure of the universe.

Yes, that's the  visualised distribution of matter in the LCDM model. i think the picture helps in describing that expansion is everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Mordred said:

Well this particular image doesn't show the DM distribution. The image came from the Millennium simulation.

http://www.cfa.harva...du/news/2014-10

http://www.illustris-project.org/

The simulation also show the DM distribution and tests the metalicity ratios.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, Mordred said:

Lol you quoted before I removed the failed first link to the news post. By the way the simulation looks cool when you stream it to a big screen TV.

Yes, that animation is super. I shall have a look with my 24" monitor, I've just watched it on my laptop. The one I saw was much simpler called something like 'Universe in a box'.

Well, ya I knew that was not Dark Energy, so it is Normal Matter and Dark matter, but I knew DE didn't group that way, that picture is a single time slice so it cannot be Dark energy which required a time component. 

history-of-the-universe-2014.jpg

Edited by Vmedvil

19 hours ago, Mordred said:

Well this particular image doesn't show the DM distribution. The image came from the Millennium simulation.

http://www.illustris-project.org/

The simulation also show the DM distribution and tests the metalicity ratios.

Wow thats crazy awesome! Thanks so much for turning me on to this. I watched on my phone but will definitely watch on tv later.