Can someone help with this posted image problem?

This extract is from a recent thread; it refers to an issue that is by no means unique to that thread.

Can you please post your pics the right way up?

Well I didn't turn them..... They were erect. But when I uploaded the pics they turned about.

I don't know how incorrect orientation could arise and was obviously not the poster's intention.

Whether it was due to the origin of the pic being a mobile phone or tablet or something here at the forum.

When the issue is resolved perhaps it could be flagged up in some way to help others in future?

Was the image posted from the phone?

If not, what did you use to view the image on the computer before posting it? Did you view the full image or just a thumbnail.

The device (especially phones, but also some Windows programs) may display the image the "right" way up rather than the way the image is actually stored.

The answer is to use a image viewer that you know will show the image as it really is. For Windows I recommend IrfanView - fast image viewer with good basic editing capabilities.

Was the image posted from the phone?

If not, what did you use to view the image on the computer before posting it? Did you view the full image or just a thumbnail.

The device (especially phones, but also some Windows programs) may display the image the "right" way up rather than the way the image is actually stored.

The answer is to use a image viewer that you know will show the image as it really is. For Windows I recommend IrfanView - fast image viewer with good basic editing capabilities.

Fastone Image Viewer is good too, very light on resources and good array of tools.

This.

It doesn't mean his image was vertical. His phone might have have auto-rotation enabled so he thought it was vertical, but instead he was just holding the phone vertically.

This would not be an issue of the forum.