• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SophiaRivera007

SophiaRivera007

Quark

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

If a ball is thrown upward at an angle of 30 with the horizontal and lands on the top edge of a building that is 20 meters away, the top edge is 5 meters above the throwing point, what is the initial speed of the ball in meters/second?

Help me with initial steps.

Edited by SophiaRivera007, 27 January 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#2 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 35,505 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

What kinematics equations would apply here?

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#3 HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Assuming you are not including air resistance (which would make this problem far, far harder) the kinematic equations would be the usual s= (a/2)t^2+ vt+ d where a is the acceleration vector, v is the initial velocity vector, and d is the initial position vector.  Separating x (horizontal) and y (vertical) components and taking the initial speed to be "v" and the intial position to be d= (0, 0), we have x=  v cos(30)t=(\sqrt{3}/2)v t  and y= (-g/2)t^3+ v sin(30)= -4.9t^2+ (0.5)vt where v is the initial speed. 

Since the ball is to end up "20 meters away, the top edge is 5 meters above the throwing point", x= 20 and y= 5.

Solve the two equations (\sqrt{3}/2)v t = 20 and -4.9t^2+ (0.5)vt= 5 for t and v.

Edited by HallsofIvy, 28 January 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#4 Function

Function

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 677 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

I've always memorized the following equation (so far hasn't ever failed me yet, since basically every variable is in it)

y=y_0+x\cdot\tan{\theta}-\frac{g\cdot x^2}{2v_0^2 \cos{\theta}^2}

Is it about 40 ms-1?

Edited by Function, 28 January 2017 - 04:34 PM.

So I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them.

But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.

We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

– Steven Chobsky in The Perks of Being a Wallflower

#5 Sriman Dutta

Sriman Dutta

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationKolkata, India

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

If we draw a diagram the understanding of the problem becomes easy.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence is then not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

#6 SophiaRivera007

SophiaRivera007

Quark

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

Assuming you are not including air resistance (which would make this problem far, far harder) the kinematic equations would be the usual s= (a/2)t^2+ vt+ d where a is the acceleration vector, v is the initial velocity vector, and d is the initial position vector.  Separating x (horizontal) and y (vertical) components and taking the initial speed to be "v" and the intial position to be d= (0, 0), we have x=  v cos(30)t=(\sqrt{3}/2)v t  and y= (-g/2)t^3+ v sin(30)= -4.9t^2+ (0.5)vt where v is the initial speed. 

Since the ball is to end up "20 meters away, the top edge is 5 meters above the throwing point", x= 20 and y= 5.

Solve the two equations (\sqrt{3}/2)v t = 20 and -4.9t^2+ (0.5)vt= 5 for t and v.

Thanks For the solution. Is there any online solutions available to find Acceleration unit conversions or force unit conversion tools?

I am not from science student. I have to do some basic examples like this to help one of my friend.

#7 AshBox

AshBox

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 1 February 2017 - 04:51 AM

Answer : Answer to Homework Help question removed, per the site rules.  :-)

To find Acceleration unit conversions or force unit conversion tools - You can visit Advertise-your-site-again-and-you-get-a-suspension.com

Edited by Phi for All, 1 February 2017 - 05:06 AM.
ad spam link removed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users