The chess thread

Lord Antares

Lol, no need to feel bad.

I play in tournaments sometimes so it's quite alright.

Chess is just a game of practice (and repetition, and workout etc.), so don't think that me beating you means anything other than me being more experienced in chess.

I am sure I've spent a lot more time studying and practising chess than you :)

Yes, you can. K + R is an elementary mate.

So that's not it.

Sorry, of course you can. I'm confusing it with K + B. (It's too early in the morning for me, or was.)

OK - so K - E1 so that R x R results in stalemate

Edited by DrKrettin

There is no Rg1 stalemate. Rxa2 is stalemate.

It seems to me that, after 1. Ke2 ...Nc2+ 2. Kd1, black is forced to repeat the previous position, because his knight is attacked twice, and the only move that doesn't lose the rook is Ne3+ where white's king goes back to e1 and the position is repeated.

Of course, the knight cannot move elsewhere as white would take black's rook.

So it seems that black needs to use a different strategy if he wants to win the game.

Edited by Lord Antares

There is no Rg1 stalemate. Rxa2 is stalemate.

It seem to me that, after 1. Ke2 ...Nc2+ 2. Kd1, black is forced to repeat the previous position, because his knight is attacked twice, and the only move that doesn't lose the rook is Ne3+ where white's king goes back to e1 and the position is repeated.

Of course, the knight cannot move elsewhere as white would take black's rook.

So it seems that black needs to use a different strategy if he wants to win the game.

Of course...not sure why I typed that...how did the game end up?

Still not sure what I think of the game. After an eon managed to win on very very basic mode, so at least I know it is possible :)

Trying to figure out whether it is best to rely on memorization, strategy or some combination of both. Interesting puzzle.

Edited by Endy0816

Both are preferable.

If you are a beginner, it is better to focus on learning basic strategy and openings and basic endgame technique (like mating with a king and queen, and king and rook) and only then playing.

Although some people suggest that just playing is the best way to learn, I disagree, because if you learn first and then play, you can implement what you have learned, you can first learn the strategies and then try to achieve said strategic goals. If you play first, then your or your opponent's moves won't really make sense that much and you won't know how to go about moving your pieces.

Have you checked the ChessNetwork channel on youtube? That's how I learned my basics. His beginner series and analysis of his own over-the-board games helped me a lot.

Of course, the most important thing a beginner should focus on is not blundering pieces. Make double sure all your pieces are protected or on uncreachable squares. Beginner games are won based on taking the opponent's pieces and tricking him tactically. In that regard, simple chess puzzles will do good for your tactical abilities.

Still not sure what I think of the game. After an eon managed to win on very very basic mode, so at least I know it is possible :)

Trying to figure out whether it is best to rely on memorization, strategy or some combination of both. Interesting puzzle.

I learned with 750 games of chess.

Almost all losing.

I've been playing against the computer and learning from it. Having one piece backed up by another and end game maneuvers being the main takeaways. Whenever I think I am good enough not to get creamed outright, I'll find a human opponent. Right now think the computer could play randomly and still have a fair shot at defeating me.

I'll take a look at the videos and puzzles(was wondering what those were about actually).

Learning from the computer is inferior to learning from a human teacher. By playing the computer, you gain a bit of experience, but you're still not learning anything new as far as strategy and gameplans go. Trust me, it's better to learn first and then play.

I learned quite a bit from the computer, like good maneuvers to use knights, bishops, and rooks.

Additionally, I learned a lot from losing against human players, such as the best pawn structures, effective ways to position your pieces, and tons and tons of traps and how to completely turn quite a few of them around.

Sure, but it's faster if you look through some vids.

+ If a human beats you with certain pawn structures and piece placement, that doesn't neccessarily mean they were correct. Maybe better than yours or not even that. Maybe he got lucky tactically and so on.

I'm just speaking from experience. It starts making more sense when you study it for a bit. And watching videos is the lazy man's method :P

• 2 weeks later...

The best tournament I ever had followed a couple of nights of watching 2 very highly ranked players play speed chess (5 minutes each blitz). If there was something interesting they might quickly analyze a position from the game (they could place every piece immediately in position, even if it was 20 + moves back) but for the most part play 20 + games back to back while I watched. Somehow this allowed me to play above my level during the tournament. I assumed it was mostly pattern recognition of both openings and stronger middle game play than what I typically played. I don't believe I would have done as well if I had spent the same nights playing speed chess as I did from watching better players, given that I was equally focused.

P.S. I had no beer during the tournament...if LA was wondering :P

Edited by J.C.MacSwell