so shroedinger cat is a gambler

farolero

so if shroedinger cat is a gambler and every time he loses a life terminating device is connected on a 50% chance wouldnt the many worlds school give him a 75% edge? for of 4 worlds he just lives in 3 in which in two he won and in one he lost at roulette

so if shroedinger cat is a gambler and every time he loses a life terminating device is connected on a 50% chance wouldnt the many worlds school give him a 75% edge? for of 4 worlds he just lives in 3 in which in two he won and in one he lost at roulette

Sorry, I don't understand you math..

If chance to finish life is 50%, in every parallel universe,

then in 50% of them he/she is alive and in 50% of them he/she is dead.

Are not you trying play the game over and over again, in the same universe.. ?

Like device which has 50% chance to win,

After 1st round, there is 50:50 chance.

From 50 remaining there is in 2nd round, again 50:50 chance,

thus 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25 (25%) chance to be still alive,

Then after 3rd round 0.25 * 0.5 = 0.125 (12.5%)

and so on.

Basically math equation to be alive after n-rounds is:

[math]f(n)= 2^{-n}[/math]

or

[math]f(n)= 0.5^n[/math]

Edited by Sensei

And further to Sensei's point but on a different tack; if there were a difference between the interpretations of quantum mechanics which was so close to the surface then we would have tested it - and then there would be one theory and not multiple interpretations.

the math is easy but maybe im misslead:

before starting to play roulette the cat lives in 4 worlds

in two he wins and in two he loses

but the two in which he loses in one he dies

so final result he lives in 3 worlds in which in two he wins and in one he loses and he is not taking his debt to heaven

Edited by farolero

in two he wins and in two he loses

but the two in which he loses in one he dies

I don't understand your scenario. What is the difference between "lose" and "die"? Aren't they the same thing? If they are different hen presumably he could lose and die, or lose and live, or win and die, or win and live.

I think you need to explain your thinking in more detail.

But, as others have said, the many worlds interpretation is an interpretation therefore it describes exactly the same thing, with exactly the same outcomes, as any other interpretation.

that take us to what make us an individual?

we are defined by our memories and genetic make up and in the 4 worlds the cat has identical genes and identical memories

and if this is true then the question is whats your chance to live certain event?

in this case shroedinger life terminating device makes the cat have a bigger chance that the world he inhabits is a winning one

if when you die some alien with advance tech clones you and transfer your memories how would you be able to tell the difference?

lets suppose i want to test this gambling method myself in the case i had nothing to lose

i start in 2^1000 worlds and lets consider that though we have identical biological make up and identical memories in the 2^1000 worlds we are different persons

i want to test if this gambling method can work, well the basic thing is that after 1000 tries all my twins will be death but there will be at least one survivor

and to that survivor the gambling method no doubt does work, the rest didnt have the chance to realize they were wrong

so even being different people the perception of the observer would be the method works for you have no perception while death

theres this comercial that shows the many worlds school, for what we know it could be just like that and dont notice the worlds would be overimposed and come in and out of existance and we wouldnt have the slightest clue on it:

maybe in two seconds everything changes and the nazis won wwii or the romans are still dominant and we didnt even notice the change

edit:

i have the personal theory that dreams are perceptions from yourself from another parallel worlds, bizarre dreams are just bizarre dimentions,a fter all there are many

so when the cat dies by the life terminating device he will just wake up in another world, saying to himself:

boy what a bizarre dream, i was a cat and a german guy was torturing me with wild experiments :)

that take us to what make us an individual?

we are defined by our memories and genetic make up and in the 4 worlds the cat has identical genes and identical memories

That's not what the many-worlds interpretation means.

but if the many worlds interpretation is right it has dramatic consecuences:

for example we can not be sure if earths atmosphere can be iginited just by a small fire

we just have the practical experience it doesnt but how valid is this in the many worlds?

lets suppose the chance a small light turns earth into an small sun is 99,999999999999%

in all those worlds that earth burnt we died and have no perception we just can have the perception it doesnt because its the only case the observer has perception

for example if this was true the worst thing you could do would be getting close to a safe enough nuclear refuge

if the chance with trump now of global destruction is 99.9999999% we just can have a perception while alive if the world gets obliterated we get no perception

but if you get close to a refuge chances would change now you have a high chance to remain alive thorugh wwiii

so the perception would be that as soon as you get close to a nuclear refuge the nukes will go off

but does this mean eventually well get to be a million years old?

now we are immortal and we dont notice now we are 40 but in 2 seconds will be 80 and in 4 seconds 12 and in six maybe 40 again and like that forever

its like what will the future bring in thousands of years

in the many wolrds at least one earth will survive

how will they acquire technological immortalilty i see two main options:

clonation and ego loading and memory transfer

or for example setting explosive charges in new borns set in such a away that whe a single person from this world dies everybody dies so your perception would be nobody you love dies ever and neither do you

but if the many worlds interpretation is right it has dramatic consecuences:

for example we can not be sure if earths atmosphere can be iginited just by a small fire

Yes we can.

we just have the practical experience it doesnt but how valid is this in the many worlds?

That's moot. We're in this world. We aren't affected by what happens in any other world.

i know this is dificult to grasp but the observer can only observe if he is alive

any observation which includes a death of the observer scenario doesnt exist

edit:

the observer can only observe if he is alive

hence the only posible observation for the observer is being alive

in the many worlds the posibilñity of being alive always exist

ergo the observer will always observe himself alive

(which btw doesnt mean will age for a trillion years i think we change our age all the time and dont even notice)

Edited by farolero

i know this is dificult to grasp but the observer can only observe if he is alive

any observation which includes a death of the observer scenario doesnt exist

edit:

the observer can only observe if he is alive

hence the only posible observation for the observer is being alive

in the many worlds the posibilñity of being alive always exist

ergo the observer will always observe himself alive

(which btw doesnt mean will age for a trillion years i think we change our age all the time and dont even notice)

The observer can only observe him/herself alive in the universe in which s/he is alive.

yes exactly being death means no observation unless you believe in afterlife and keep observing as a ghost

but could the universes be in overposition and pop in and out of existence?

in the man in the high castle tv series which is about the many worlds in the last moment of the last chapter of the first row of chapters theres a change of reality

they live in a nazi dominant world to instantly change to an ally dominant one

the thing is that nobody notices but the japanese high ranking diplomat

so we would be blind to these changes of reality while the japanese guy saw them perfectly

so the japanese guy could experience death bot not a person blind to this changes

so is it posible the universes pop in and out of existence and we dont notice?

do i live in the same world i was living two minutes ago?

Edited by farolero

yeah i meant superposition

i know fiction art is not science but the man in the high castle is relevant cause its about the many worlds

they use a heisemberg device there to travel among the different worlds

for example a woman dies but next reappears being from another dimention whee she didnt die

i know fiction art is not science but the man in the high castle is relevant cause its about the many worlds

And that is exactly why it is not relevant.

but in the many worlds time travel would happen without changing the arrow of time so it would be posible

the grandfather paradox would be no paradox at all it would be a different universe in which they live in a previous time

but in the many worlds time travel would happen without changing the arrow of time so it would be posible

Note that the many worlds interpretation is an interpretation of quantum theory. Therefore it can't predict different results than any other interpretation.

So what you appear to be saying is that quantum theory allows time travel.

So... Citation needed.

yeah i meant superposition

for example a woman dies but next reappears being from another dimention whee she didnt die

The way this works is that writers make stuff up to tell a story. That's the fiction part. It doesn't have to be based in anything that's actually true in science.

The way this works is that writers make stuff up to tell a story. That's the fiction part. It doesn't have to be based in anything that's actually true in science.

And it is a much better book than film/tv series. Although the book shows its age in its attitudes towards and portrayal of different races and cultures. And as the book has a 1962 publishcation date I am not sure if it was inspired by the many-worlds interpretation which in the early sixties had only acaedmic reach - I do not remember any discussion along those lines in the book; but Phillip K Dick was a real prophet so maybe it was.