iodine "tincture"

akcapr

The procedure should work, but their reasoning is a bit off. The fact that they are using HCl and Bleach is to produce chlorine gas which will cause any I- ions to be oxidized back into elemental iodine. The acid does not directly create any iodine. In fact, the acid is more likely to create HI than it would iodine. You may get better yields if you generate the chlorine in a separate container and direct the chlorine gas into the iodide solution.

A very small amount of the iodine dissolves in the water/alcohol solution. With the presence of the iodide ions, however, it dissolves to a very large extent. By generating the chlorine gas and passing it through the solution, the iodide ions are oxidized back into elemental iodine. As a result, the solubility drops tremendously and it ppts out of solution.

is there an amount of Cl2 i need to bubble through? or is the no "too much" for this purpose.

You can work out how much you will need so you dont waste materials but an excess of Cl2 will not hinder the reaction. The surplus Cl2 will just bubble out into the air so this is probably a good one to do outdoors.

~Scott

tincture is 5% I2 and 5% KI. if you want to make I2, this is the best way to do it. do it outdoors. you wont need much to force the oxidation of I- to I2, but you want to do it, just because you will not get iodine until you oxidize all the iodide. make sure that the tube with the Cl2 stays submerged under the solution. when you finish with the Cl2, you'll have precipitated iodine. i suggest you let it settle at the bottom, then boil off the liquid to a point, but still leave some so the iodine doesnt sublime. you want to resublime your iodine to make sure it is pure and dry. use dessicants.

i dont really want Iodine that badly, so i probly wouldnt buy it pure. If i could extract it ti would be fun and not too expensive.

a bottle of iodine crystals is about £8.

extracting it from iodine tincture:

5%iodine solution

1.4oz iodine in soluion needed.

(60% yeild(approx)

=1oz iodine)

40mls for £0.60(1$)

5% of 40 is 2.

2grams per bottle of iodine tincture

*12=24g iodine.

12bottles of tincure needed approx for an oz, which aint cheap, and you need hcl as well...

but if you wanna do it, go for it.

just pointing out whcih is cheaper.

I calculated that i would need 12.8 bottles of the stuff, each for $1.16. That means it would cost me 14.48 dollars. On united nuclear it would cost me 20 dollars (not including shipping). so id save roughly 5.50$.

Yes, but you would also need the hypochlorite and the acid in order to generate the chlorine. So that will be at least 6 or 7 dollars. (And frankly, household bleach is not a good source of hypochlorite since it is so freaking dilute. You would need a LARGE amount of the stuff in order to generate a good amount of chlorine).

my dad/mom could get me the stuff for free. Is there any way i could use NaCl to generate some Cl? possible this: HCL + NaCl? xcpet i dont know wat that would yield me if it would react t all.

"my dad/mom could get me the stuff for free. Is there any way i could use NaCl to generate some Cl? possible this: HCL + NaCl? xcpet i dont know wat that would yield me if it would react t all."

you wouldnt get NaH+Cl2, that's for sure.

last time i made a chlorine generator it worked well. i distilled the bleach and crystallized it. that works best. see below.

chlorine generator.jpg

how could i utilize the common and cheap NaCl to make me some Cl?

also, im not sure wat u were doing in that picture: reacting the hypochlorite in the beaker with something or planning to? planning to distill it and condense the stuff coming out the end?

I'd assume the chems in the beaker are sodium hypochlorite and HCL(aq) and the fumes being funnled into the idodide. The make Cl2 out of NaCl electrolyse it that would be pretty easy but it could take a while.

~Scott

The only way to generate chlorine gas from Cl- ions is via electrolysis. If you put a fairly strong current through a saturated solution of NaCl, you'll wind up with chlorine gas, hydrogen gas, and sodium hydroxide. However, this will take some time and really isn't that efficient as some of the chlorine will react with the NaOH solution and produce sodium hypochlorite.

In the apparatus that bud has described above, and the one that I've described in numerous threads, you mix a solution of calcium hypochlorite and hydrochloric acid. The action of an acid on the hypochlorite ion generates a hydroxide ion and chlorine gas. Using hydrochloric acid and calcium hypochlorite provides plenty of chlorine atoms for the generation of the chlorine gas.

When I made my chlorine that is now a part of my element collection I did it using the apparatus drawn out below.

chlorinemaker.jpg

You start out with a beaker that has a two-holed stopper in it. In one hole is a tube leading out to a test-tube/beaker filled with distilled water. In the other hole is a tube that leads to preferably a container with an open/shut valve filled with concentrated HCl. The beaker itself has a concentrated solution of calcium hypochlorite in it. When you add the HCl, it generates chlorine gas. The gas will bubble out of solution and through the open tube into the testtube/beaker filled with water. This water filled container is also closed off with a two holed stopper. One hole is filled with the chlorine inlet, and the other is filled with an outlet into a container filled with anhydrous sodium bicarbonate.

Again, the chlorine gas will be forced out of the water tube into the bicarbonate filled tube. Finally, the gas will rise out of the annhydrous bicarbonate and into whatever container you want to put it in. It helps if the height of each tube is lower than the one before it since chlorine gas is fairly dense. In the first container drawn there, the reaction between HCl and Ca(OCl)2 occurs which generates chlorine gas. This gas is then pushed through a tube of water where any extra HCl and other gases will dissolve in the water. (As does a small amount of chlorine). The chlorine is then forced through anhydrous sodium bicarbonate which will absorb any and all water vapor present in the gas. This leaves you with pure, dry chlorine gas. Under the outlet, you can put a beaker with bromide or iodide ions in it and generate bromine or iodine. I had a glass ampoule for my outlet, and when the ampoule was full of chlorine gas it was then sealed off, trapping the gas inside. It's kind of neat to look at my chlorine ampoule and know that I made the pure element myself. :D

"The only way to generate chlorine gas from Cl- ions is via electrolysis"

or if we're considering HCl, one could use a strong oxidizer such as permanganate, chromate, dichromate, manganate, etc.

btw, jdurg, you'd have a bit of HCl gas, plus there's the Cl2. are you sure the stopper isnt corroded by these gases?

"how could i utilize the common and cheap NaCl to make me some Cl?

also, im not sure wat u were doing in that picture: reacting the hypochlorite in the beaker with something or planning to? planning to distill it and condense the stuff coming out the end?"

electrolysis.

i put the hypochlorite in the beaker, pulled the funnel up just enough to add the conc HCl and dropped the funnel immediately. Cl2 was produced and brought through the tube under the surface of the I- solution. it works well; there was a very miniscule amount of HCl involved, if any, and the fact that the Cl2 was, to small degree, wet didnt make a difference.. just make sure the tube stays submerged in the I- solution, lest you spew Cl2 into the solution and push the crucible/tube away from one another, leaving you with Cl2 and only the initial amount of I2.