iodine "tincture"

akcapr

In my apparatus, all of the stoppers were made out of/coated with Teflon so there was no worry about corrosion. Inside that first beaker was a saturated solution of calcium hypochlorite. (I put powdered calcium hypochlorite in there and added just enough water to dissolve all the OCl-, then added another spoonful of the powder to make sure it was saturated). The concentrated HCl was added to that which then generated a nice large amount of chlorine gas. The inlet for the HCl was then closed off so that the only place the chlorine could go was into the tube of distilled water. This tube removed any and all water soluble gases which may exist in the generated chlorine. The final tube had anhydrous NaHCO3 in there to dry out the chlorine and make sure that there was no water vapor in there. This leaves you with pure, dry chlorine gas.

The reaction was quenched by the addition of solid NaOH which stopped the production of chlorine and basically just created a strong bleach solution.

i just got 11 bottles of iodine tincture. 30 ml each (330 ml total), each containing 2% iodine and 2.4% sodium iodide. wat do you reckon the yield will be after the chlorine and all?

I'm just doing quick math in my head, but probably something like 1-2 grams of iodine based upon the small % of iodine in there, and the fact that the process isn't 100% efficient and you will lose a lot of iodine to sublimation and even more during the filtering process.

if i heated NaOCl would it decompose and give me CL?

[update] i know have 19 bottles of iodine tincture. as soon as i figure out my final way of making Cl i will start. (19 bottles= 570 ml!!)

heres a pic just for the hell of it:

Probably not. NaOCl forms when a solution of sodium hydroxide is exposed to chlorine gas. The chlorine gas then forms sodium hypochlorite. Simply heating the solution will not produce chlorine gas at any appreciable rate. The easiest way to get the chlorine gas is to reverse the reaction that initially created it. If the reaction occured under basic conditions (NaOH), the making the solution acidic will reverse the reaction forming chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide. This is what Bud and I have each done.

too concentrate my bleach i boiled it in a pan. I dont think oneone will use it for cooking, but how could i clean it chemically to rid it of maximum amount of bleach and form something not too dangerous like salt or something.

[update] i am now done with the iodine making. IT was smelly, but it worked. I have iodine (i think alot) in a bucket. After collecting the sludge it reeks of chlorine. Due to the fact there still the water left after the chlorine was bubbled through the iodine. WHat is that stuff that was made and why does it reek?

"Probably not. NaOCl forms when a solution of sodium hydroxide is exposed to chlorine gas. The chlorine gas then forms sodium hypochlorite."

just a little more info on Cl2+NaOH: NaOCl will be formed, but small amounts of NaClO2 will be formed depending on temp. in boiling solution, NaClO3 is formed.

"If the reaction occured under basic conditions (NaOH), the making the solution acidic will reverse the reaction forming chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide. This is what Bud and I have each done."

second most unintelligent error i have made in my lab work: i titrated my fuming supersaturated HCl with draino. didn't happen to notice that NaOCl was in draino along with the NaOH. and yeah, it neutralized the HCl...but got rid of the anion (via oxidation) in the form of Cl2. and i was doing this right in front of my face. coughed for a good 3 minutes or so. surprisingly, the pulmonary edema that ensued was not so bad, and on my next exposure to Cl2 i wasnt affected too much.

"[update] i am now done with the iodine making. IT was smelly, but it worked. I have iodine (i think alot) in a bucket. After collecting the sludge it reeks of chlorine. Due to the fact there still the water left after the chlorine was bubbled through the iodine. WHat is that stuff that was made and why does it reek?"

pleeease tell me you have pics.

make sure the iodine stays wet; otherwise it will just sublime. it may smell bad due to the chlorine, but probably because of the iodine. i remember my products smelling bad.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have a question about the process of separating Iodine from tincture from that Sci-Spot link. After I have filtered the solution and the crystals are sitting on the coffee filter, how long can I leave them out for? Considering how wet they are, they'd have to dry out but that may take too long and they could subliminate before they finished drying. Should I wait until they are dry or should I just take them and put them into a container while they are still wet? Also, should they be washed with water so they are not coated with bleach and HCl? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

• 9 months later...