More planets or not??

re there more than 9 planets??  

1 member has voted

1. 1. re there more than 9 planets??

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

PLANET X! :rolleyes:

Can't astronomers do some calculations and figure out if there is another planet pulling out there? Also, does anyone know the size a "rock" must be to be considered a planet..

Originally posted by the GardenGnome

I heard that Pluto may not even be a planet...

A nearby belt called the Kuiper Belt (a belt of comets) might be where Pluto came from. It is possible that that is just he biggest of all the comets in that belt. Remember that in 2000 or 2001 they changed Pluto back to comet. But only for about 2 months.

I voted yes, as in i think there is most likely chance there are other planets outside our solar system, if thats what you meant, probably no, to more than nine planets inside the solar system... one thing i want to know is, if there are any planets will life? i some times doubt it, well if there was, i would reckon they would of found us by now , or they could be at the same stages as us in time travel, or they are in teh stone age or somethin, i dunno, but i like to beileve there is life outside there, and some day hope we will find out...or someone will find out, who knows? better happen whilst im alive tho! :D

P.S i know nothing about astronomy, so please correct me on things or whatever i said wrong, im only interested in it and have not standing nothing.

Oh...ok, any websites about them? how come they dont mention them much.... im guessing its becuase it takes so long for a prope to get there to gather information or something i dunno :D

Oh, we haven't done anything that grand; we've just looked for various deviations from the expected information we're getting from suns, which can be used to imply the existance of a Jupiter sized object in close orbit.

I was listening to the tv in the background during dinner a few nights ago and there was a special about a new telescope that can see farther and more clearly than any today. I dont remeber too much cause I wasnt paying attention, and I dont care how binoculars work, but I guess the telescope is set up like a pair of binoculars. Anyone hear anything about this? I really dont even know if what they were talking about is recent....

Originally posted by Radical Edward

It depends on how you define planet. Alot of people think there are only 8 planets, because they believe that Pluto is just one of the inner members of the Oort Cloud, and not a planet in it's own right. (I added "other" to the poll)

you can also define every astroid in the astroid belt a planet. they all orbit the sun.

yeah, I don't know if there are any planets undiscovered in our solar system, probably not though unless our solar system has some hidden corner to hide stuff from us with....

as to life on other planets, I think there are probably too many planets out there not to have at least a few thousand with some form of life on it;)