1. 1. Is AI in the near Future???

• This year
    • 1-5 years
    • 10-50 years
    • 50-100 years
    • Never
    • Dunno
    • Other (post a post)

I give it about 10 years or less. I'm just curious, How many of you think that in the future A.I. robots will kill all humans? How many of you think this would be a bad thing?

Originally posted by apollo2011

Why do you carry around Sayanora3's quote? Why not make up your own like I did.:lame:

Pffft.

That's really quite lame.

If you had any idea who RE is you wouldn't even need to ask.

Thanks for the link, but this and most of the theories behind AI or really AS is still based on a comparison to human intelligence. If computers or machines become self-aware, or accuire the ability to think independent of programming based on a model of human thought and ability, not only are they going to do the constructive and positive actions of humans, but they will also do all the stupid things we do as well.

Based on this aspect, I think if AI ever happens, the machine will ultimately begin self destruct upon the realization of what it is and what it was created for. The machine will have no reason to perform work or to solve problems. It will probably do what we do and burden itself with questions of self-existence and become addicted to pain killers.

I'll stick with waiting for my dog to start talking to me. I know he wants to.

:)

• 1 month later...

On one hand I think theres nothing to worry about with AI-- WE are the ones creating it, so lets just not make anything that could possible take up a will to enslave the human race. Like i saw on some show on techtv about the subject, we'll be creating AI pets and such, not super geniuses to dominate the world. I think we'd also create simple minded creatures designed to be dedicated to serve us, like robobugs that eat all the crap off the carpet and such.

But then on the otherhand, it's also likely that once the powers of AI are unlocked, they WILL fall into the hands of stupid people, and people want to take it to the limit, until they accidentally cross it. Who knows maybe they will intentionally cross it too. So as i see it its a race to reform society or something as to make stupid people less common, and not capable of holding power that will kill everyone. --------- I am not sure how this reform will occur, perhaps we already doomed.