Is there any technology that could disable all electronics in a house or small building?

What would be the most effective method of disabling all electronics in a building without going in it? Using any kind of technology that you can obtain? A good example would be a portable EMP generator, which will be powerful enough to knock out (temporarily) my neighbors electricity and portable devices. Another example would be a device that sends an electric current or an electric field through a framework that would cause damage to the circuitry of the electronics.

What would be the most effective method of disabling all electronics in a building without going in it? Using any kind of technology that you can obtain? A good example would be a portable EMP generator, which will be powerful enough to knock out (temporarily) my neighbors electricity and portable devices. Another example would be a device that sends an electric current or an electric field through a framework that would cause damage to the circuitry of the electronics.

The problem with inputting power to the house as an EMP would do is that the effect wouldn't be temporary. The equipment burned out would remain burned out and the combustible surrounds -such as the house itself- may well burn. Ooops!

For a temporary effect I think one would want to draw off incoming juice to reduce voltage to a point where the equipment in the house would cease to function. Short of a mechanical connection to the feed line the only means seems to me to be a transformer. So a coil brought into suitable proximity & arrangement with the feed line and connected to ground so the incoming juice is diverted. 'Portable' being a relative term I don't think any 'small' -that is inconspicuous- apparatus/transformer would suffice. :unsure:

Maybe just talk to your neighbor about the loud music? :P

microwaves.

dont cook yourself...

Yeah, I should ask general electric if they can make me giant microwave.

"Is there any technology that could disable all electronics in a house or small building?"

Yes

Is there any technology that could disable all electronics in a house or small building legally?"

No, at least, not unless it's your building.

It would be illegal to take part in something like that of course. But i'm sure theres options out there that are not illegal. I saw some very powerful emp/herf/shock pulse generators on the market that were legal to obtain, not sure if they could function in that capacity though haha

The problem with inputting power to the house as an EMP would do is that the effect wouldn't be temporary. The equipment burned out would remain burned out and the combustible surrounds -such as the house itself- may well burn. Ooops!

For a temporary effect I think one would want to draw off incoming juice to reduce voltage to a point where the equipment in the house would cease to function. Short of a mechanical connection to the feed line the only means seems to me to be a transformer. So a coil brought into suitable proximity & arrangement with the feed line and connected to ground so the incoming juice is diverted. 'Portable' being a relative term I don't think any 'small' -that is inconspicuous- apparatus/transformer would suffice. :unsure:

Maybe just talk to your neighbor about the loud music? :P

Yeah, a strong enough emp pulse would get the job done. I never thought about redirecting the power, thats interesting. Temporally or not, what would be the most effective way of disabling all the equipment but managing not to burn the house down? I don't have a great understanding of emp generators, like how you would manage hitting all targets in the building without seeing it. I'm not sure if I would want to knock out my neighbors electrity even though all he does is sell drugs and collect welfare checks. This was really just an idea I had been thinking about and wondering how somebody would be able to do something like that.

Common microwave sources wouldn't disable a complete building. Portable EMP generators exist already as weapons and are in use - rather simple technology, accessible to good tinkerers. The effects can be temporary if the power density isn't too high, BUT this depends much on the distance and on how the target electronics is built, so the usual effect is that more electronics is destroyed near the source and more is temporarily hampered farther from the source - if containing software, the recovery is longer.

A small EMP generator was used in Aoste and an other Italian city very probably, according to the described observations.

consider spitting up the target area into sections that can be irradiated.

firstly, microwaves will not kill you before you decide to s*** and get due to the burning sensation on your skin (see crowd control microwave).

a standard thousand watt microwave is actually feasible with a few mods.

capacitor bank with charging circuit and charge dump ( high power needs solid state switching).

when you see the tube, you will have a ceramic tube with metal fins for cooling.

this is where you need more cooling.

a phase change unit from a refrigerator should be used to cool a secondary cooling loop with a reservoir and high velocity pump.

this is no different than overclocking a computer or cooling a ccd camera.

you may go through more than one tube so have one or two extra laying in wait already set up for cooling. sudden heat changes can crack the ceramic.

DO NOT break a tube intentionally as this is highly toxic stuff. if a tube breaks dispose of it in a sealed bag at least.

in the end your unit will take time and patience learnig it operating characteristics and capabilities (you must test it first and record the results so you know how to use it.)

oh, you will need to build a reflector that shapes the device's "light cone".

at the least you wil have 300 in microwaves, 100-150 in caps, 100 for charging circuit, ect....

it will be a few grand unless you scavenge parts.

please note that if you use this device the signal continues past the object and can be triangulated by calls about interference (government takes your toy and puts you in jail).

with knowledge comes responsibility.

build it.

have fun.

do not use it on other people or property.

i think a much more fun way to use it is to transmit audio into someone's head. (jokingly...)

Edited by davidivad

An EMP weapon would not emit a CW, because this is not necessary and is inefficient. Only the peak power counts to destroy an electronic circuit, and any spark discharge does it far better. Things like a Blumlein circuit are routinely made by good hobbyists and produce 1MW naturally: adapt it as an antenna.