Movie Reviews...

barfbag

Could not find an open thread on movies so if you've seen something good put it here maybe. Try not to give spoilers..

I just came from an advance screening of "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" and we found it to be a hilarious space romp.

We enjoyed it a lot.

There are some 80's references so if you're younger you may want to look up the movie Flashdance or you'll miss a funny reference.

Earlier this week we saw "Lucy". It was also well done, and somewhat unique.

Both are science fiction so might appeal to a science crowd more than most.

Gaurdians of the Galaxy:

While I personally did not enjoy the movie I could definately see the appeal. It was very whimsical. It reminded me more of a cartoon movie with a handful of live action characters like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" or "Cool World" than it did a typical superhero movie. My eyes don't have a taste for all the CGI and talking animals stuff but it was a very well made film. Had they hired a Bollywood director this perhaps could been something amazing.

Lucy:

Great concept but much like "Inception" the film gives way to meaningless gun play and violence. Perhaps the producers were afraid audience would come if the movie was too smart.

Well in fairness the Theater I viewed those movies were licensed and served dinners and alcohol right to our seats which might have accounted for some of the hilarity. Nothing liked a boozed up theater crowd on opening night.

So my theater was laughing and clapping through them, but opening night usually draws fans of the comics or literature.

I must say though that Rotten Tomatoes rated "Guardians of The Galaxy" above 90% though from both critic and audience viewpoints so somebody else liked it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/

Lucy however was given poorer ratings closer to 50%. I thought it was so unique though I'd give it extra points just for that.

Hercules might be as expected. A lot of violence with good conquering evil.

Action movies are advancing to an entire new level this past year as SGI techniques improve. I even use green screens in my own home movies these days.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I also liked LUCY a lot and it rated poorly.

Surely CGI (computer generated imagery) techniques - SGI (silicon graphics inc) was the manufacturer. I had an indigo once that I bought at a car boot sale.

I must be getting old as I am getting tired of CGI - too many films have it without needing it, and this causes them to enlarge and emphasise scenes "because the CGI will look amazing" rather than advancing the plot or characterisation.

Surely CGI (computer generated imagery) techniques - SGI (silicon graphics inc) was the manufacturer. I had an indigo once that I bought at a car boot sale.

I must be getting old as I am getting tired of CGI - too many films have it without needing it, and this causes them to enlarge and emphasise scenes "because the CGI will look amazing" rather than advancing the plot or characterisation.

I don't think CGI looks real at all. When films use too much of it I feel as though I am watch a cartoon. As you said filmmakers often seem to get away from the story being told to emphasize the CGI.

Once heard a special effects guy say something to the effect of "no matter how good the CGI it will always be something fake. While no matter how bad the costume, puppet, or model is it will always be something real".

CGI can be made very well and subtle. The good ones are those that one does not notice in the first place (often in the background, removing items/ropes etc.). However, there are far too many movies that just go overboard with because they are cheaper than real sets.

A realistic skyscraper? Naah make it hundred times larger and copy/paste a gazillion of them all over the place. It is supposed to look futuristic anyway. A scary group of a dozen or so orc? Naaah, make them hundreds. What? there is not enough space, then just copy them to the walls and ceiling.

Charon - that is exactly the problem. It's new(ish) and clever,thus directors cannot get enough of it - but all things in moderation is the best path to follow. Following your example - take a moment to compare the crowd scenes (massive crowd scenes) in LotR and Gandhi; quite apart from the general orcishness/elfinish you could never confuse the real with the generated