ART in SCIENCE

Mike Smith Cosmos

Not addressing the rest of my post because you agree, or?

or it runs too far afield of what I came here to discuss.

And to me Logic has an awfully profound influence on science to not at least be considered a major contributor.

Which is a different statement than saying logic is science

I suppose I am less concerned with the technical definition, everything could be considered science I suppose if you break it down enough. But I get your point. I just think science can be conveyed threw imagry via stimulation of the brain. Its the same with observing an experiment without knowing the parameters. You make assumptions automaticly, loose hypothisis. Which can lead to further ideas. I'm not saying art is an exact science, or that its a science at all, it can however be a powerful form of inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose I am less concerned with the technical definition, everything could be considered science I suppose if you break it down enough. But I get your point. I just think science can be conveyed threw imagry via stimulation of the brain. Its the same with observing an experiment without knowing the parameters. You make assumptions automaticly, loose hypothisis. Which can lead to further ideas. I'm not saying art is an exact science, or that its a science at all, it can however be a powerful form of inspiration.

I am currently examining : FEELINGS AND MOOD , Particularly as it can be used in the production of Artistic images , (paintings , photos etc. ) .

There is science here! As the human body / brain , has used this, and does use this, to good effect to drive both memory and action . We commit to memory things that have ' some ' emotional attachment . Also we react physically , when exposed to induced feelings (say .. Peacefulness, Playfulness, Rage . .. )

Similarly an artist , can contrive to create , a particular feeling , in his or her painting so as to encourage or evoke a particular feeling. There appear to be particular ' MARKS' that evoke particular feelings . The artist is then able to compose a picture accordingly . Thus encouraging the viewer to receive the ' Feeling ' whilst viewing your picture.

Here is an image of utter ' peacefulness'.

post-33514-0-25930900-1446186174_thumb.jpg

Here , quickly produced ' Marks' of playfulness .

post-33514-0-23518400-1446186600_thumb.jpg

Surely this must invoke the feeling of playfulness, sitting in the main square at Bologna , in the sun , with a fiend or two , having a coffee .

post-33514-0-01879500-1446187405_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Our mental state say " Happiness" can be conveyed in a picture . So marks or images that invoke " Happiness" in a painting can be responsible for conveying a little happiness to another individual .

In an art session , yesterday , myself and a fellow painter pursued this idea . The result was " the Sun " . As I like painting Boats , in five minutes the composition was created . In such a quick order happiness was indeed created and relayed. It makes you wonder ' what a turbulent , chaos of feelings must be created in us on a daily basis, as we are exposed to a succession of images in our daily lives .

post-33514-0-90124300-1447311471_thumb.jpg

Mike

I don't know if this is the correct place to put this but there is a new art exhibition (by a scottish lady sculptor) opened in London.

This is called anthropocene, after the latest geological age to be identified and provides a 'spine' of linked scultpures linking the geology of the British Isles over geological timescales.

http://www.angelaspalmer.com/

I apologise if this is considered advertising, but is it also of scientifc merit.

Edited by studiot

It is a pity it is on for such a short time. Not worth a trip to London to look at sixteen rocks, several of which I likely have in my collection, but it does give me some ideas on displaying them - and some encouragement to fill in the gaps.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a pity it is on for such a short time. Not worth a trip to London to look at sixteen rocks, several of which I likely have in my collection, but it does give me some ideas on displaying them - and some encouragement to fill in the gaps.

It would be nice to organise a world cruise to vist all the choice locations around the world , where the outcrops of Rock type appear .

A modern massive motorised sailing ocean liner would make 100's of rock orientated persons ' very Happy?

post-33514-0-32813900-1448749676_thumb.jpg

Artists and Geologists alike , could Draw and Paint the revealed sites . Voyage of a lifetime .

A modern ' Beagle ' for ' the Geology of Rocks ' .

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

RIPPLES,

I am trying to get my ' Scientific head' , around 'Artistic ' ..Ripples.

. 1. They all appear to be coming towards me, the observer.

2. They appear to be upright .Both seem to be a remarkable coincidence .

post-33514-0-62928300-1450336534_thumb.jpg

See horizontal and vertical aspects in the reflections.

When examined , close up, the stimulated ripples go the direction the wind blows them . But when viewed from a bank or distance , the ' appearance' , ( thus as an artist the image ) , has the effect of ' right angles to the line of sight , and in the direction of the line of sight . Both ! ( namely :- side to side horizontally , and up and down vertically . Although it is true the water has a horizontal surface and the masts are vertical , as are trees and some grasses . On closer examination there is more to it ,than that! The blackness appears to be dragged out sideways, and the lightness dragged into the dark horizontally inwards. Also the vertical darkness appears to be dragged vertically downwards in isolated chunks .

post-33514-0-97975500-1450338663_thumb.jpg

Thus 'Observer dependant ' things in reality are 'one thing ' , things as they are observed ' another thing '

Interesting !

Mike

This 3d art is fascinating:

Zoetrope_feeldesain_00.jpg

John Edmark is an inventor, designer and artist who teaches design at Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA. One of his latest creations is a series of 3D-printed sculptures designed with proportions corresponding to the Fibonacci Sequence. When Edmark's sculptures are spun at just the right frequency under a strobe light, a rather magical effect occurs: the sculptures seem to be animated or alive! The rotation speed is set to match the strobe flashes such that every time the sculpture rotates 137.5º, there is one corresponding flash from the strobe light. Check out this video to see the moving sculptures:

http://artstyle.sfglobe.com/2015/01/14/3d-printed-sculptures-look-alive-when-spun-under-a-strobe-light/?src=share_fb_new_32233&sv=3&xas=o32233__1450553379

Edited by Shelagh

• 2 months later...

I need to take refuge by painting a ' Mermaid ' . My mind has been ' scrambled ' trying to imagine Gravity waves moving through space time , when there is nothing there! If that is right , so are mermaids !

How can you distort ' nothing ' .

!post-33514-0-52162500-1456757390_thumb.jpg

Sanity at last ! Mike

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting point was brought up at a Public Presentation by a respected abstract Artist of the South West of England. ( this week )

I was in attendance at the Demonstration and he started with something important , that I have heard other practicing Artists say .

That is Paint Quick , certainly in the origination stage. This applying to Abstract art , or free flowing compositions. ( and he demonstrated it )

His rational , he explained , is :- if you thrash around very fast, your controlled part of you brain ( supposed left Brain) can not cope with that sort of speed, so your ( supposed Right brain) , the creative , intuitive bit takes over. And takes over in a very creative and intuitive way.

I have tried this on many occasions , and it works!

This does sort of link ART and SCIENCE , but in a very creative way . In this case Art ( the creative Picture ) being the product. Science being the explanation ( Neuroscience ) .

He did the top half of this painting in about 2 minutes, and the bottom half in about another 10 to 20 minutes ( if that ) .

post-33514-0-07881900-1458176462_thumb.jpg

Mike

• 1 month later...

Did a picture , today , ( Painting of a bit of deep ocean ) .

post-33514-0-87934200-1462396410_thumb.jpeg

While doing it over a couple of hours, I realised the link between Art and Science .

Here I was immersed in Art , yet my mind was still on waves on water on a canal ( how they form in patches, and how they are all part of one system . )

I found that as I did the painting above , that to make it look right , I needed to make the individual ' peaks and troughs' become ALL of one system . At least in the immediate region .

So here is how the close observation or composition is necessary for the sea to appear correct , and in so doing gives a ' clue ' or possible mechanism , as to how much smaller delicate waves in a canal , could possibly, behave ? ( as a sub-system , of the whole ) ?

Mike

There's too much to choose from; some of the Hubble images are incredible as are many of plants and animals. My pic offering:
maxresdefault.jpg

However, my favorite art in engineering (no pic is possible) is the 2M pound (900,000kg) turret of the proposed 30m telescope, tracking a star to arc-second precision. Not only is that feat beautiful, it will facilitate taking pictures similar to, but more incredible than, those taken by the Hubble.

The three pictures in line here , are informative 'Science' in their own right .

1. Mine is typically a bit " Indeterminate ". Meaning , my fascination with the wild deep ocean ' plays' to my intreague with blue sky research and ideas ( waves of all sizes , yet all over the place ) . Yet here I am trying to make scientific ' rhyme or reason ' , out of ripples from the wind in a canal .

2. Ajb's is typically " well ordered" , no doubt generated by a special piece of precise computer code ( mathmatical in origin ) . Regular and symmetrical , beauty . I expect this crops up in his work and research . And prove very useful in determining the direction of fields ,of some sort .

3. Ed's , gave me the shivers of emotion , when I first saw it as some poisonous spider . However I have got to like it , as I do not realy have to worry about it biting me. Beautiful colours , and I am sure seen through the ' eyes ' of a creature person , it is a work of art . Just keep it over there !

I like the sound of the new telescope !

All three from 'different corners'. (Of science) , yet all three beautiful 'Art' , in there own right ! . ?

Mike

I also want to say that not everything in mathematics is regular and symmetric...13133103_870209729772294_754886927225203

That is so beautiful !

Did you draw it ' ajb' or was it a computer driven image ( I guess so) .

I appreciate the 'non symmetry ' . In art , that is essential . Maybe even in life , the universe as well . Broken symmetry .

Mike

The image is based on the IFS algorithm. I have two nonlinear transformations of plane and a given starting point. I then pick at random (but weighted) between these two transformations and colour the point we arrive at. I then keep doing this process up to one million times. I also add an opacity based on the number of times a point is visited. And yes, this is all done on the computer.

I will share some other interesting similar images soon.

Making the dots all the same colour is easy in the code I have written. Making the dots different colours has proved to be more problamatic. But this I think can be overcome, or I can add colour after by hand.

Making the dots all the same colour is easy in the code I have written. Making the dots different colours has proved to be more problamatic. But this I think can be overcome, or I can add colour after by hand.

It's blending colour you need . As opposed to just colour . Where It slowly changes from one intensity to another intensity,. Say from dark to light . Or occasionally , only occasionally from one colour to another. ( judiciously )

This sort of thing but not so intense !

post-33514-0-09690000-1462824588.jpeg

Mike