Wisdom vs Intelligence?

Iwikefactz

Wisdom is, understanding how we, and others, fit into this world (where we/others are in the bigger picture), understanding the likely consequence of a given action and understanding what matters and what to let go and accept.

So wisdom is just another way to describe understanding.

Intelligence allows one to solve a problem; wisdom/understanding allows one to pre-empt the problem.

If I might say, Intelligence is cognition and wisdom is the ability to use it productively. :wacko:

Both parts of the statement are true but the ability touse cognition productively is

also associated with cognition so doesn't well separate it from wisdom. Obviously

experience is more associated with the ability to use cognition productively than

is intelligence.

A wise man might not point out so fine a distinction but we otherwise seem to be

in close agreement. ;)

Or,

Perhaps intelligence is the singlular form of cognition, and wisdom is the collective, or plural form.

While we all would like to think we are both intelligent and wise, intelligence we can ascertain about ourselves, on our own. Wisdom is something that requires the use of and recognition of someone else's intelligence.

You have to gain wisdom, you are born with intelligence.

This is why older people are usually the ones thought to have accrued some wisdom. They have not gotten any smarter themselves, just contain more parts and peices of everybody else's intelligence.

Being a male, and having turned 60 recently myself, I am obviously a wiseguy:)

Regards, TAR

and to acknowledge my own status in both categories...a smartass as well:o

Both parts of the statement are true but the ability touse cognition productively is

also associated with cognition so doesn't well separate it from wisdom. Obviously

experience is more associated with the ability to use cognition productively than

is intelligence.

A wise man might not point out so fine a distinction but we otherwise seem to be

in close agreement. ;)

Without resorting to solipsism, i would cautiously aver that the ability to discern is intelligence and the ability to discern that I have the ability to discern is, indeed, wisdom. :wacko:

It seems that wisdom is most likely a product of experience. Where the very intelligent will likely become very wise in short time and where even the average old can amongst the young appear to have a "mature" and wise opinion that may run counter to a younger persons sometimes intelligent and educated answer.

I can't imagine how many times in the endless history of human warfare that a fresh to the frontline officer ran up against the opinion of the much older and battle experienced subordinate. Wisdom is forged from experience, it is a survivors attribute. And while the intelligent is naturally selected in academy to lead they are nonetheless required to enter battle with the accumulated knowledge of other peoples wisdom as applied to the chaos of war. Some will become quickly wise and the rest will often fail in the most horrific manner.

To counter this the academy attempts to build an artificial warfare environment through training, sometimes with computer gaming and sometimes with live fire exercises but none will ever discriminate the wise from unwise like the terror of war. In the end, of those who command in direct line of enemy fire, there is often only the wise and/or lucky left recount the experience.