New galaxy discovered in deep space by gravitational lensing

Mike Smith Cosmos

The last few days uk bbc has conducted a space watch experiment. The public was encouraged to take part. An amateur astronomer discovered the galaxy. Major telescopes, around the world followed the sighting .Keck telescope in Hawaii , etc uk Jodrell Bank radio telescope seen in background. Live. Looking at new galaxy.

The galaxy is due to be named 9........ With the name of the discoverer .

Pictures : -

A)

Gravity lens produced by galaxy in front ( bright central cluster ). A very large galaxy behind able to be seen by the lens , and bent around galaxy in front . (seen to bottom right smudge of bright light ,) more examination will reveal more details of the new galaxy behind.

B)

Commentators discussing live tonight Thursday 9 th Jan 9:10pm tonight .

C) Norwegian TV commentator in an aircraft flying at 33'000 ft watching as the start of a mass ejection from the sun arrives down the channel to the North Pole .

D) Picture she sees live at 33,000 ft of the arroura borealis displays start of mass ejection arrival. She gets a bit excited ,as can be seen in her happy expression. All live tonight ! Or at least so far !

. . Mike

post-33514-0-76465100-1389303017_thumb.jpgpost-33514-0-94420600-1389303205_thumb.jpgpost-33514-0-85815900-1389308915_thumb.jpgpost-33514-0-54209300-1389308949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos
fixed title for you

mike, is this off-air viewing on an antenna, or are these programs available on satellite or high-speed? I presume your local tv stations went digital as ours did in '09........do they still tax people per number of tvs in the house in england? I will go and do a google search for uk bbc and see what happens. Thanks, edd

mike, is this off-air viewing on an antenna, or are these programs available on satellite or high-speed? I presume your local tv stations went digital as ours did in '09........do they still tax people per number of tvs in the house in england? I will go and do a google search for uk bbc and see what happens. Thanks, edd

All TV in the UK is digital now -- there is no analogue broadcast signal as far as I believe. This programme would have been available in full HD and also on the digital equivalent of oldfashioned PAL.

WE have never taxed per TV set IIRC - but every household, office, place, etc that wants a TV pays a yearly licence fee; ie per place rather than per set. This money is used to fund BBC1 2 3 4 News, Childrens etc on the TV and huge numbers of Radio Stations (BBC6 Music is just the best radio station in the cosmos). As the BBC has no need for advertisers, and the government is kept at arms length through a Trust set-up then we get good, balanced, unbiased TV and Radio. Most people think it is a good way of doing things apart from the raving Fox-ites who would prefer to get their news not only cut up into easily chewed portions but digested and dumped on them whilst still warm and steaming.

Television news in the US is so biased that I no longer watch it, and stopped watching Fox News first, when they became overtly anti climate change. News in the US is a travesty, IMO. If it were state controlled, it would be a scandal, which is tragically not the case; although, the federal government is highly biased towards corporate interests and the news is controlled by them.

Edited by EdEarl

EdEarl, on 10 Jan 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:EdEarl, on 10 Jan 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Television news in the US is so biased that I no longer watch it, and stopped watching Fox News first, when they became overtly anti climate change. News in the US is a travesty, IMO. If it were state controlled, it would be a scandal, which is tragically not the case; although, the federal government is highly biased towards corporate interests and the news is controlled by them.

Can you watch BBC News in America? That might be a viable alternative.

Here's the US/ Canada website ...see what you think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/us_and_canada/

Edited by StringJunky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.