Worst teacher stories

Hades

once had a psych professor use the light spectrum to illustrate what portion we can visually see. he then asked what wave had the shortest length. I raised my hand and said 'gamma', he then replied, 'no', to which i replied, 'yes'. this happened one more time then he asked me why it was no. i had to explain to him negative exponents. he said, i dont think youre right but ill check on that.

so the next week he came in, began his class and addressed a few other concerns and then said, 'and john, youre absolutely right. i guess ive been teaching it wrong for 20 years now.'

thats rather unsettling. does anyone else have stories like this? i hope im not the only student getting nailed with the B squad.

thats rather unsettling. does anyone else have stories like this? i hope im not the only student getting nailed with the B squad.

I think that you should consider your good fortune that the teacher was so gracious in coming around to your point of view. I believe that this is quite rare.

Yeah, here's one.

Back a few years ago, I had a science teacher who was really incredibly dumb, to put it very, very nicely.

Here's an example: If anyone in the class was loud or unruly, she would send that kid into the hall. So one day, she stuck her elbow into a jelly doughnut. By the time she had realized that her arm was in a jelly doughnut, she'd sent half of the class into the hall for laughing.

The sad part is, that was a *good* day. :rolleyes:

I had a teacher who went berserk over "reading strategies." The first day of school, she says "Let's go over the five reading strategies!" Then we get a quiz on it. A week later, "Did I tell you about reading strategies?" Another quiz. A month later, "I ought to tell you about the five reading strategies!" A quiz. Near the end of school, "Say, I forgot to tell you about the five reading strategies!" Another quiz.

We had 125 quizzes in one school year.

Here's one. I had a math teacher in college with whom I selected becasue math is not a strong subject for me. In fact, if math skills were the only way of measuring intelligence, I would be as smart as a lobotomized rat. Anyways she had a reputation for not really teaching mainstream algebra, but rather having class discussions about her conspiracy theories, never assigning homework, and passing nearly everybody (this lady is a saint). Her conspiracy theories always consisted of blown out of proportion facts, odd web sources, and her personal paranoid beliefs. I remember one where she casually said "the world is going to end tomorrow" becasue of the number of the date, and some ancient text saying as much. I pretended to be all into it and agreed with her to get an easy A.

The prof here that teaches Animal Physiology told us that all vertebrates have 4 chambered hearts. You could see *everyone* in the class looking at each other like "WTF?". That's not the first thing she's screwed up, but it's the biggest.

Sad thing is, this is an upper level biology course in college. But the prof is widely regarded as both inaccurate on anything outside of protozoa and more than a little bit crazy.

Mokele

The prof here that teaches Animal Physiology told us that all vertebrates have 4 chambered hearts. You could see *everyone* in the class looking at each other like "WTF?". That's not the first thing she's screwed up' date=' but it's the biggest.

Sad thing is, this is an upper level biology course in college. But the prof is widely regarded as both inaccurate on anything outside of protozoa and more than a little bit crazy.

Mokele[/quote']

I find that a lot of university biology teachers have degrees in more narrow topics, such as botany or microbiology, and often don't know crap about anything else. I had a bio teacher (a botanist) who taught us most of the week, and then another (a microbiologist) who would tell us how the botanist is wrong somehow, etc.

I had 2 teachers who were not stupid, but violent. One was in third grade; my teacher, Mrs. Tully, sincerely hated me. She would secretly lower my scores. Also, at seemingly ramdom intervals, she world casually stroll up to my desk, flip over the desk and all of it's contents onto my lap, point to the pile of paper and books and scream "CLEAN IT UP!"

And in 5th grade I had a teacher named Mr. Abbott. While watching gone with the wind for history (go figure) I was bringing my chair to the TV, when he wheeled around, grabbed and threw my chair against the wall screaming "Dont pick it up over your head!" (Which incidentaly, I wasn't.) He grabbed me by the arm and slung me into the chair. I still have a scar on my head from the wall, and on my arm form his nails.

I had 2 teachers who was not stupid' date=' but violent. One was in third grade; my teacher, Mrs. Tully, sincerely hated me. She would secretly lower my scores. Also, at seemingly ramdom intervals, she world casually stroll up to my desk, flip over the desk and all of it's contents onto my lap, point to the pile of paper and books and scream "CLEAN IT UP!"

And in 5th grade I had a teacher named Mr. Abbott. While watching gone with the wind for history (go figure) I was bringing my chair to the TV, when he wheeled around, grabbed and threw my chair against the wall screaming "Dont pick it up over your head!" (Which incidentaly, I wasn't.) He grabbed me by the arm and slung me into the chair. I still have a scar on my head from the wall, and on my arm form his nails.[/quote']

Wow. If you live in the US, not only could you sue that guy, you could have gotten them both fired. Very, very easily. For LOTS of money.

I dunno about other places, though.

I used to have a chemistry teacher and every science question he couldnt answer he replied with either "Theres not enough electrons in its outer shell," or "It has a different concentration gradient," most people actually took his answers but he knew i could see right through him!

Im surprised that only one or two had violent teachers.In my county violence was a common experience.Historically in the Uk in general,teachers have been violent.

I personally think it was a good thing.The lack of discipline and respect in our schools presently,reflects that view.

They was nothing more refreshing when deep in giggle fits, with your pal at the next desk.Than feeling the cool waft of air ,before the stinging impact of a large open hand across your cheek.Likened only to being 8 yr old on a bitter december morning,were your parents send you the corner shop to get the milk at 8.15am(were logic dictated you kept the money and took the milk from someones step,only to be warmed by the hand of the houseowner).

Ahh,discipline and respect was taught with the open hand in those days,or a ruler,blackboard erasor infact whatever the teacher could lay their hands on at the time.Excellent

I had a chemistry teacher who was on a warning from the headteacher so consequently was stressed out by any disruptions in a class. The government ofsted inspectors were down the corridor and he couldn't get the class to be quiet. So he pursued the only reasonable course of action, and threw an oak desk at the loudest of the students. Cue a very quiet class when the inspectors walked in, spoilt only by a bleeding student sprawled on the floor.

Nicely handled, I think you'll agree.

I had a chemistry teacher who was on a warning from the headteacher so consequently was stressed out by any disruptions in a class. The government ofsted inspectors were down the corridor and he couldn't get the class to be quiet. So he pursued the only reasonable course of action' date=' and threw an oak desk at the loudest of the students. Cue a very quiet class when the inspectors walked in, spoilt only by a bleeding student sprawled on the floor.

Nicely handled, I think you'll agree.[/quote']

I suspect that he wasn't a teacher after that.

Other kids did see, but Mr. Abbott was very nice to all of the school faculty and parents. And it was his word against that of children. Also, I strongly dissagree about people being inclined to believe kids, in my life, the opposite has become apparent. In any case, everyone believed Mr. Abbott was to sweet to harm a fly.