GMO pets

Moontanman

While most people think of GMO as food crops I have been thinking of GMO pets, specifically aquarium fishes. If you could modify the genes of certain fish to make them smaller as adults it would be highly profitable.

Stingrays are very popular but most quickly outgrow all but the largest tanks. A freshwater ray that stayed less than 6" across the disc would be highly sought after.

Other freshwater fishes of unusual types such as sturgeon or paddle fish would also bring big returns.

Sharks would be a bit more difficult for freshwater but even saltwater sharks that were small as adults would bring a high demand.

many fish would work although some are already being sold they soon die of being in a restricted space and altering them so as to get much smaller adults.

Aquarium fish are a big industry, billions of dollars in sales, and dwarf fish of normally large species would be very popular.

Is this a pipe dream or would it be reasonable to do this?

Realistically this would have a higher chance of success by breeding rather than genetic manipulation. The current scope is usually limited expressing a limited number of proteins transgenetically, which would not work for a complex phenotype such as size.

Well, according to standard language use GMO specifically refers to genetically engineered organisms using a set of techniques that directly alter genetic material. Mutation breeding of plants is the only thing coming close but is usually specifically excluded (as well as regular breeding).

Edit: and sorry, no pet giraffes in the foreseeable future.

Edited by CharonY

• 1 year later...

I have thought of this as well. Certainly it would be possible to make genetic modifications outside of just glofish (which I happen to not like). Perhaps nothing more as of yet but I imagine glofish are only the start.

Although idk if available in the pet trade there are many genetically modified mice that are significantly different from their wild type counter parts. Also some reptiles sell for big bucks in odd color morphs. If someone could genetically create new color morphs of certain animals you could make a killing. Theoretically creating new color morphs should be easier than reducing the size of sharks, stingrays, or whales. But wouldn't it be sooo cool to see tiny great whites? Or tiny orcas? Lol

some other ideas I've had are gmo dogs that are better suited for modern life with humans. Perhaps with better instincts relative to modern day captivity or perhaps non-matting, non-shedding, non-alergenic breeds.

I have thought of this as well. Certainly it would be possible to make genetic modifications outside of just glofish (which I happen to not like). Perhaps nothing more as of yet but I imagine glofish are only the start.

Although idk if available in the pet trade there are many genetically modified mice that are significantly different from their wild type counter parts. Also some reptiles sell for big bucks in odd color morphs. If someone could genetically create new color morphs of certain animals you could make a killing. Theoretically creating new color morphs should be easier than reducing the size of sharks, stingrays, or whales. But wouldn't it be sooo cool to see tiny great whites? Or tiny orcas? Lol

some other ideas I've had are gmo dogs that are better suited for modern life with humans. Perhaps with better instincts relative to modern day captivity or perhaps non-matting, non-shedding, non-alergenic breeds.

I am all about miniature woolly mammoths!