Dark Energy, Dark Matter and Antigravity

Done

I would like to propose an idea.

1) If Dark energy pushes outward on the galaxies expanding the universe and dark matter pulls inward within the galaxies, could there be one force that causes both?

2) Let us suppose that this force was the result of antigravity (antimatter?) particles that repels both normal matter and other antigravity particles.

3) Assume these antigravity particles are charged and form uncharged hydrogen-like molecules. Once the charges are balanced in the molecule, the antigravity force would cause them to isolate themselves from both matter and other antigravity molecules. The antigravity particles would probably not be able to form anything larger than simple molecules once the charges are balanced.

4) These antigravity molecules would spread evenly throughout the universe and repel everything, thus expanding the universe.

5) These molecules would also surround galaxies and exert the inward force on galaxies, currently attributed to dark matter.

Does this seem reasonable?

1) No. Dark matter and dark energy are completely different.

Dark matter is "stuff" and astronomers have been able to map out distributions.

The nature of dark energy is completely unknown. It seems to be an attribute of space itself and is responsible for the acceleration of the universe expansion. Its distribution throughout the universe appears to be uniform.

2) - 5) Just plain wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

a few questions...isn't dark energy force somewhat known? Isn't this done through the forces exibited by virtual particles as measured in the casimir effect experiments? Or are the dark energy forces unrelated to virtual particle expressions? And if they are not related directly, isn't some basic limits known about dark energy expression by the observed expansion rate?,,,edd

a few questions...isn't dark energy force somewhat known? Isn't this done through the forces exibited by virtual particles as measured in the casimir effect experiments? Or are the dark energy forces unrelated to virtual particle expressions? And if they are not related directly, isn't some basic limits known about dark energy expression by the observed expansion rate?,,,edd

As I understand it, dark energy is thought to exist due to the observed expansion rate. I don't think much if anything is known about specific properties.

I do wonder if there is a connection between gravity we observe as a result of mass and the expansion that we observe related to a lack of mass. They seem strangely complimentary pseudo-forces. I may just be seeing a connection where there is none though.

Edited by Endy0816

Those are good questions. I believe that the current consensus of opinions is that dark energy and the Casimir effect are not related. See this FAQ on Dark Energy: http://supernova.lbl.gov/~evlinder/defaq.html#casimir

Of course consensus opinions can turn out to be wrong.

Edited by Bill Angel

bill, I read the above link and am thinking that as regards to dark energy and casimir being mostly unrelated, I say that our observation of virtual particles is allowed when the geometrics allow observation of the phenomena here on earth, such as with the casimir experiments....that does not mean that the phenomena goes to zero when restricted, only not currently observable with such an insensitive test as the casimir....and that the dark energy is the virtual particles under question. The casimir test shows that they become readily apparent to us over the certain plate distances, which establishes some information as to their properties, but not all. ....as far as dark energy being apparent in the universe only after a certain time (7 billion years), and had no effect before-hand, I say, it did, but as space expanded and allowed more dark energy to exist, their gradual overall increase became more pronounced, going from slowing down the rates of deceleration of the early universe by countering simple gravity, to bring the deceleration to a halt, then cause an acceleration after the proposed 7 billion year stasis point. More space = more energy, and that is the runaway positive feedback system in charge, as there is an overall cumulative effect universe-wide with this energy......I do agree with the idea of dark energy and dark matter being different....I think dark matter is the gravitational effect of other universes concurrent with ours, that are different from ours, that the only commonality to ours is the gravity they have...this idea being derived from there being other finite numbers of universes sharing the same birth "big bang", and using differing math algorithms that can describe differing realities, that while incompatible (excepting gravity), are self-referencing and have long term stability in their particular logic constructon....edd

Edited by hoola