You ever notice..

blike

You ever notice how most people are a walking bag of contradictions? We have a knack for holding dichotomous beliefs, and then touting our beliefs like they are the only logical beliefs one could hold. This is, perhaps, most obvious in those who are involved with politics and religion.

I'm including myself in that group, but I try to acknowledge the fact when I find myself having two beliefs that can't coincide (and usually one gives in). This forum has helped me to realize many contradictions in my own belief systems.

Nevertheless, it's quite amusing pointing out people's contradictions, and then watching them tip-toe around the crumbling mountain of logic they've created. It's especially fun when they've built their house upon this mountain.

I don't know if it's cruel to take pleasure in this, but I think we all do it to some extent. Maybe it just reminds us that we're all only human.

You ever notice how most people are a walking bag of contradictions? We have a knack for holding dichotomous beliefs' date=' and then touting our beliefs like they are the only logical beliefs one could hold. This is, perhaps, most obvious in those who are involved with politics and religion.

[/quote']

Have you ever wondered if that thing we cherish most, a stable sense of identity, is far more malleable than we wish to think? For instance, as someone with ADD, I test differently on the Myers Briggs test when I am on medication than when I am off medication. I mean personality different. What does this say about who I actually am?

I have lived long enough to know that tastes, values, and strategies change.

To expect consistency from people is to expect them to reconcile all their experiences and learning every time they express an opinion. I contend that this is not even possible. First, we don't compute that well. Second, we don't remember that well. Anyone who, given sufficient time, believes he/she can truly trace every opinion to some basic premise has surely done enormous paring away of parts of him/herself. That would be sad.

One of the best places to observe this is when we are driving, set apart in a microcosm where we're the sole inhabitant. We assume everyone else is either a horrible driver, a drunk, an inconsiderate prig, a rich a**hole, a consummate imbecile, a doddering ancient or a road rage warrior.

But if WE cut someone off, or tailgate because we're in a hurry, that's completely different....