Laptop shutdown with 12% and 32 min battery left

CaptainPanic

Just a quick question for the Windows 7 experts out there: is there a way to tell my laptop to deplete its battery more before shutting down? Right now, it automatically shuts down when it claims it has 32 minutes (or thereabout) of battery left, at 12% of the full battery. I feel cheated, because with about 1 hour left, it actually gives me less than 30 minutes to do something!

Personally, I'd rather risk having unsaved data than a safe but early shutdown. But at the very least it could shut down a little later?

Any thoughts?

Click on the battery/power icon on the lower right of your display.

Select More Power Options.

Select Change Power Settings.

Select Change Advanced Power Settings

Select Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable

Select Battery

Select Low Battery Level

Change Battery % for low battery action

I've never tried this. Let me know if it works.

Thanks! I did a quick Google search, but came up empty handed...

It will be a while before I can give my feedback. The reason for this is that my (other) laptop just shut down, and now it won't even boot without cable. And I forgot my adapter somewhere else. *sigh*

Laptops (and computers in general) need more override buttons. "Do you really want to start your computer now?" "YES, I really want that. I own you, now obey my wishes". I know there is some juice left in that battery... but it won't even boot. *curses* I need some data stored on that thing!

Laptops (and computers in general) need more override buttons. "Do you really want to start your computer now?" "YES, I really want that. I own you, now obey my wishes". I know there is some juice left in that battery... but it won't even boot. *curses* I need some data stored on that thing!

Get off the corporate Microsoft/Apple thing and go Linux. It really will let you break the system to your heart's content - I have installed stuff that literally says that this installation has a fair chance of ruining your system and requiring a complete rebuild, go ahead y/n?

My old laptop now outperforms my all-bells-and-whistles laptop cos one runs stripped down linux and the other superbloated windows. Sure the windows one is prettier and more intuitive - but only a bit. I love iOS on my phone where I don't want to do anything complicated and I want to be able to operate it with my nose (and yes I do mean that) - but desktops should be able to be situated anywhere on the spectrum from iOS simplicity to Terminal command line entry. Linux doesn't cover the simple end very well at all - but it still covers a greater range than windows or mac os.

</soap-boxing>

I've had the same thing happen to me several times. On a call, in a conference room, no power cord. I check the battery life to ensure things will be okay. 45 minutes left... I'm good. 37 minutes left... I'm good. 32 minutes left... I'm good. Then, one minute later it just shuts off and ALL of my open files... all of my pending browser windows and tabs... all of my documents and notes and IMs and ad infinitum... gone.

Yay! That was powerful awesome now, wasn't it?

"We notice you didn't shutdown properly last time. Would you like to boot up in safe-mode?" No, I'd like to kick you in the testicles with spiked steel toe boots and punch you square in the throat for telling me I 32 minutes of battery life left yet forcing my system to shutdown and causing me to lose all of my work!

Edited by iNow

12% battery is too low to reach before recharge.

The 32 minutes is based on moderate use, no cds running, no wifi running, and a last gasp into hibernation.

Hibernation is unfortunate because if the battery runs out of steam before the hiberfile is fully created (and they are huge files) the computer will be unbootable next time.

I get a regular stream of student's laptops to fix where said student has fallen asleep with the laptop in bed and it has not has enough juice to go to hibernation properly.

The first rule of engineering is don't run a machine above 75% of capacity. Use the 25% as spare for special occasions.

Turn on a valve fully and turn it back a fraction etc.

Incidentally, imatfaal, my DVD writing box, P3 with customised windows 2k, would give your linux a run for money any day.

smile.png

Edited by studiot

Incidentally, imatfaal, my DVD writing box, P3 with customised windows 2k, would give your linux a run for money any day.

smile.png

Quite possibly - but that's cos I am also running a pentium 3 system (I think - not quite sure, bought it along time ago, and cannot be bothered to check). But the crucial difference is you quite clearly know what you are doing and have a dvd writing box - which I presume is a pc just for writing DVDs - this computer is my daily work horse, i really do not know what I am doing with linux, and I run a huge number and variety of programs with great speed and very few problems. windows 2k - rather than the dreaded millennium and its 9x forebears - was a great OS descended from the almighty NT ; so frankly I am not surprised it will motor along. New Windows is not NT. On old NT there was practically nothing that you could not interrogate, customise and strip down to the bare essentials.

Your mention of the 25% spare is completely correct - masters of ships always have a supply of fuel that the owners don't know/want to know about, zero bunkers is about 2-3 days worth in reality. But this only works if, in extremis, you can access that last ditch supply. If your friendly OS decides you cannot - then you are bggrd.