Particle collision images

Some of the images of particle collisions show what I believe to be paths that are curved in appearance. Is this because they are interacting with the medium created within the chamber as a result of the collision?

Are they interacting with the forces of the accelerator because they have slowed down?

Or is it the way the image projector interprets the data and presents it? Meaning do the curves distinguish something other than the particles path in the image?

Some of the images of particle collisions show what I believe to be paths that are curved in appearance. Is this because they are interacting with the medium created within the chamber as a result of the collision?

Are they interacting with the forces of the accelerator because they have slowed down?

Or is it the way the image projector interprets the data and presents it? Meaning do the curves distinguish something other than the particles path in the image?

There are things like bubble track images, which show the trajectories of particles. These tracks are often curved because the scientists put a magnetic field in place. That way a neutral particle will not deflect, and a charged particle will; the amount and direction of deflection depends on the particle charge and speed. There are no images of the collisions themselves. The particles are too small and the interactions happen too quickly to be imaged.

You can see it on your own eyes by building diffusion cloud chamber and placing magnetic/electric field around it.

If you're not familiar with them watch f.e. this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efgy1bV2aQo

On youtube there is plenty tutorials how to build them though.

I have build couple. It's $20 investment, if you have access to dry ice.