Time and Gravity Stopping

The Nacho

Ok, I have a question...if you could stop time, or if time stopped, would gravity stop, too? Because in movies, (I'm not saying movies are always right :rolleyes: ) whenever time stops, water and stuff freezes in midair, but the people can jump through it and land on the ground. (Of course, it might be that gravity is always there, but it doesn't...act on you...if...time is...stopped? I don't know. What do you think?

That seems like a problem, but it's not. It doesn't really have anything to do with gravity. Water would stay in the air because that is where it was when time was frozen. If gravity had an effect on it and brought it down, I think that would mean time wasn't really frozen.

If you could stop time the way it is done in the movies, where time stops for everything else, but you're still able to move: if you jump in the air, would you fall back down to the ground, or would you be weightless.

I don't know if you would even be able to move like the above at all. If time is stopped, wouldn't everything be at absolute zero?

'']You wouldn't be able to tell. If time stopped everything would be frozen, nothing would fall, so gravity ceases to have meaning.

I know that, I just want to know if you think that the gravity would still be there, even if it wasn't affecting anything.

If you lived on the moon, would time pass faster than here on Earth?

Even if it did, the more important question is, would you know that it was faster? Conscience is a weird thing... If there was less time in 24 hours on the moon than here on Earth, would you be sped along with it?

Not that I even pretend to know anything about relativity or gravity's effects on time. Just an interesting question.

So, if time passed slower on Earth, we would live longer than if we were transplanted to a planet that has lower gravity?

I think it depends on your perspective, if you are on Earth and observe the person on the other planet, they wouldn't appear to live as long, but if you were that person I don't think it would make a difference.

I think it depends on your perspective, if you are on Earth and observe the person on the other planet, they wouldn't appear to live as long, but if you were that person I don't think it would make a difference.

Well how would that work?

If I had a twin and he lived on Mars, he would appear to not live as long as I, so when he died, I would still be alive, but he would not notice that he was dead? :confused:

Well how would that work?

Relativity.

If I had a twin and he lived on Mars, he would appear to not live as long as I, so when he died, I would still be alive, but he would not notice that he was dead?

He would only appear to be dead to you because time is moving faster for you. I'm not sure, but I think they would be living in your past, since time is moving slower for them. To your brother, and anyone else on Mars with him, he wouldn't be dead yet. You would be in his future, so it wouldn't be that he didn't notice that he was dead, but that he wasn't dead yet. Time is relative.

Relativity.

He would only appear to be dead to you because time is moving faster for you. I'm not sure' date=' but I think they would be living in your past, since time is moving slower for them. To your brother, and anyone else on Mars with him, he wouldn't be dead yet. You would be in his future, so it wouldn't be that he didn't notice that he was dead, but that he wasn't dead yet. Time is relative.[/quote']

OK, so if we left a clock on the moon and went back in a year or two, it would show a different time that another clock left on the Earth? :)