maths

Didymus

Stop saying "maths."

... It's "math."

I don't go to englands and discuss footballs while drinking teas. Because unnecessary pluralization is wrong.

... Only time it can be acceptable is if you're discussing different kinds of math... Entirely different systems of math.... Then it's optionally Ok. Like "peoples" ...

But stop asking "a maths question." And don't make horrible excuses about a silly way to abbreviate "mathamatics."

Edited by Didymus

"mathamatics."

I blame the Americans.

When I was young I used to write "sums" on the front of my book in case I spelled "arithmetic" incorrectly.

I never heard of "mathematics" until I started reading american books.

smile.png

Both are an abbreviation and so both are equally acceptable. "Maths" tends to be used in Britian, and so I am told Australia. "Math" is more common in the USA.

I would say "maths", being from Britian.

On behalf of the American people, I would like to express my sincerest apologies for the corruption of plain speech and the joy of language over the last hundred (or more) years. It really wasn't our fault. I blame the civil legal system and that atrocity known as political correctness.

Brits treat plurals differently than Americans. For example a Brit will say, "The team are travelling to London," rather than the American "The team *is* travelling." Same with "maths."

Due to an innovation in British English (BrE), collective nouns can take either singular (formal agreement) or plural (notional agreement) verb forms, according to whether the emphasis is on the body as a whole or on the individual members respectively; compare a committee was appointed with the committee were unable to agree.[11][12] The term the Government always takes a plural verb in British civil service convention, perhaps to emphasize the principle of cabinet collective responsibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_British_English

It's a good thing America won the revolutionary war, otherwise today we'd all be speaking English.

Edited by HalfWit

The reason why math is maths in the British areas is due to the fact that they don't remove the 's' from abbreviations.

Britain: Mathematics - Maths

American: Mathematics - Math

Personally, I just think it is a language thing. In American English, it works just fine as math. In British English, it works fine as maths.

Trig and calculous are different maths.

Each is a kind of math.

This is not French, stop adding letters where they don't belong.

I know this bad habit is common on your island... But it's wrong. Fix it and apologize.

Every time I see someone say "maths" in a silly way, I will insult the queen for having a silly people. I'll call her ugly and there's nothing you can do about it except fixing your silly concept of a language.

Trig and calculous are different maths.

Each is a kind of math.

This is not French, stop adding letters where they don't belong.

I know this bad habit is common on your island... But it's wrong. Fix it and apologize.

Every time I see someone say "maths" in a silly way, I will insult the queen for having a silly people. I'll call her ugly and there's nothing you can do about it except fixing your silly concept of a language.

"calculous" "stop adding letters where they don't belong" "it's wrong. Fix it and apologize"

nice, have a +1

So don't I get a +1 for highlighting the first spelling funny?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Really I don't care one way or the other. Some have given me these things, I don't know where they come from.

Edited by studiot

So don't I get a +1 for highlighting the first spelling funny?

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Really I don't care one way or the other. Some have given me these things, I don't know where they come from.

There you go, a +1 deserved.

And, again I will say again, it is a cultural identity.

The point is it is not wrong.

Abbreviations are not right or wrong, they are simply in common use or not.

Of course, our UK islands and peoples being as disparate as they are cannot agree on math versus maths.

The Scots, for instance, may be different.

Witness the well known book by that equally well known Scottish Professor of Mathematics,

Another Fine Math You've Got Me Into....

go well all.

note: There's a difference between a typo (from typing on a cell phone) and willfully spelling something in a way you know causes international unrest. If someone accidentally puts an extra letter at the end of a word (such as an "s" at the end of "math")... fine and dandy.

But an entire island just plain being mean by dragging it's verbal nails across the chalkboard of my mind is just plain.... that's just plain wrong. I could go off on language for a while... but this is a math forum... so I won't go, so thoroughly through the rough trough that ought not be mentioned. English is a sin. Worse than the black death... this language is a plague unleashed upon the world. Worse than my ancestors who you murdered and enslaved... you smothered so many languages... only assimilating their most illogical bits... then pushed this garbage upon a poor, doomed world.

... stupid England. Before I die, I'm going to fly over there and punch your little island right in the.... well... ground. Probably some sandy area... or grass or something soft. Soft and sensitive.

Of course, our UK islands and peoples being as disparate as they are cannot agree on math versus maths.

However than can agree to disagree in a civilised manner, over a beer or glass of scotch, without all that claptrap and invective.

note: There's a difference between a typo (from typing on a cell phone) and willfully spelling something in a way you know causes international unrest. If someone accidentally puts an extra letter at the end of a word (such as an "s" at the end of "math")... fine and dandy.

But an entire island just plain being mean by dragging it's verbal nails across the chalkboard of my mind is just plain.... that's just plain wrong. I could go off on language for a while... but this is a math forum... so I won't go, so thoroughly through the rough trough that ought not be mentioned. English is a sin. Worse than the black death... this language is a plague unleashed upon the world. Worse than my ancestors who you murdered and enslaved... you smothered so many languages... only assimilating their most illogical bits... then pushed this garbage upon a poor, doomed world.

... stupid England. Before I die, I'm going to fly over there and punch your little island right in the.... well... ground. Probably some sandy area... or grass or something soft. Soft and sensitive.

As you are on a language thing "...thoroughly through the rough trough that ought..." ough X 5 do you know the other two (UK obviously blah blah blah don't go off on another one) pronunciations?

But an entire island just plain being mean by dragging it's verbal nails across the chalkboard of my mind is just plain.... that's just plain wrong.

I take it that you expect England's english to follow the evolution of American english even though it was the first that was the origin of the latter? How arrogant....

I'm waiting for the Americans to start calling the study of energy, electricity and such "physic".

Presumably "physic" will include "mechanic" and "electrostatic".

I'm not sure about "thermodynamic"- will that be part of chemistrys?

Maths isn't a plural anyway so all that stuff about plurals is beside the point.

It's pretty funny how someone uses the niches of vernacular language as a justification of their silly prejudice.

I would say this thread deserves some sort of moderating action, if it weren't for the sincere language discussion that arose among frequents here.

It's pretty funny how someone uses the niches of vernacular language as a justification of their silly prejudice.

I would say this thread deserves some sort of moderating action, if it weren't for the sincere language discussion that arose among frequents here.

When did "frequent" become a noun?

When did "frequent" become a noun?

frequents 3rd person singular present of fre·quent
Verb
Visit (a place) often or habitually: "bars frequented by soldiers"; "one of the most frequented sites".

Though it should be used as an adjective, it would be like removing the noun and assuming everyone knows what the adjective is representing

A: There are mostly white people in this town.

B: There are mostly whites in this town.

It isn't professional use of adjectives, in my opinion, but it is considered "okay".

Edited by Unity+

... Since the M word was mentioned.... It becomes necessary to point out that this entire thread is intended to be read with your tongue in your cheek.

English is a silly language... Like math. You can tell when you really get into it when you're legitimately frustrated by it.... Not out of a lack of understanding.. but because you're mad at it personally.

It becomes necessary to point out that this entire thread is intended to be read with your tongue in your cheek.

To avoid red marks for something said in jest it is wise to add a smiley, lest your intention is misunderstood.