Harvesting electricity from greenhouse gas carbon dioxide

Ayesha

A new method for producing electricity from carbon dioxide could be the start of a classic trash-to-treasure story for the troublesome greenhouse gas, scientists are reporting. Described in an article in ACS' newly launched journal Environmental Science & Technology Letters, the method uses CO2 from electric power plant and other smokestacks as the raw material for making electricity.

They describe technology that would react the CO2 with water or other liquids and, with further processing, produce a flow of electrons that make up electric current.

Note: Adapted from a news release issued by American Chemical Society.

Edited by swansont
deletia due to copyright

!

Moderator Note

Less quoting and more linking, from a copyright standpoint (which is why your post has been pruned), and definitely more linking for things posted in science news.

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2013/july/harvesting-electricity-from-the-greenhouse-gas-carbon-dioxide.html

I have to say I'm underwhelmed by the description "They describe technology that would react the CO2 with water or other liquids and, with further processing, produce a flow of electrons that make up electric current." It contains almost no science at all.

The point related to science is that they forced co2 into water and other liquids, where the carbon dioxide split into positive and negative ions.These ions were used up in the generation of flow of electrons by further processing.

you can see the whole mechanism in this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/27/carbon-dioxide-power-plants_n_3660989.html

I liked the post that's why wanted to share it here.Thanks for telling me the rule.Next time I will post accordingly.

Edited by Ayesha

No real description there, either. It splits and recombines the CO2, which means that the energy source is elsewhere in the system, and they are just glossing over this point. There's no discussion of whether some other gas would be a better catalyst.

It's also not yet energy-positive. They claim it scales up, but haven't shown that.

Unfortunately, this has not thus far distinguished itself from the claims of charlatans who say you can split water and get energy recombining it.

No real description there, either. It splits and recombines the CO2, which means that the energy source is elsewhere in the system, and they are just glossing over this point. There's no discussion of whether some other gas would be a better catalyst.

It's also not yet energy-positive. They claim it scales up, but haven't shown that.

Unfortunately, this has not thus far distinguished itself from the claims of charlatans who say you can split water and get energy recombining it.

I've not read it, but this appears to be the paper the article references: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ez4000059

I've not read it, but this appears to be the paper the article references: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ez4000059

Thanks. It looks like they are harnessing the energy of mixing the CO2 with something, and since the mixing is spontaneous it releases energy. It works because the CO2 in the exhaust gas is at a higher concentration than the ambient atmosphere, or whatever solution they use.

That wasn't hard to do; they should have mentioned where the energy comes from in the pop-sci articles.

It's not clear to me at first glance how they get the solution to be CO2-free afterwards, since that should require an energy input.

So,Should I assume that the electricity generated is the result of energy produced when spontaneous reaction between water and Co2 takes place?If so why are they associating it with the ions?

So,Should I assume that the electricity generated is the result of energy produced when spontaneous reaction between water and Co2 takes place?If so why are they associating it with the ions?

They need the ions to generate a current, AFAICT. Otherwise you'd just heat up the mixture a little (if you did this in air, for example) and not be able to get much useful work out of it.

There are plenty of decent methods for harvesting electrixity, but it won't work untill current harmful method makes whole bunch of profit to peope that own oil. Of course we should think about nature and e.t.c, but it's all usless for now.

Edited by Zinoviy

They need the ions to generate a current, AFAICT. Otherwise you'd just heat up the mixture a little (if you did this in air, for example) and not be able to get much useful work out of it.

I got the idea..thanks for responding smile.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.