Is it me or the education system?

Unity+

Well, here is the common question(or so I think) about the American education system and whether it is doing the right thing. Let me expand the question, however.

I am normally the rebellious(lack of term) person who with mathematical courses in schools I fail at(or get below average) the class and I always feel like I am a failure at math and I will never be able to understand it no matter how they seem to teach it in the classroom, yet on my free time I do math and I always find interesting things within mathematical concepts such as number theory and the relationships between different types of numbers, such as primes, and I enjoy taking a look into set theory and such. What strikes me funny is how the top students in the classroom, when I begin to talk to them about these kind of subjects, clearly have no idea what I am talking about. For some reason, I am able to understand subjects within mathematics that even the top students in my classroom seem to have no clue(I am not bragging, but if you know what i am getting at).

I mostly do research on number theory and applied mathematics on my own time(in fact it consumes my time). In a summarized sentence, the reason why I can't comprehend the subjects within my math class is due to the fact that I can only understand something if I see why something is the way it is. I have to be able to see the core equations behind a specific law in mathematics in order to be able to accept that law.

For example, in geometry I have a hard time accepting specific geometric laws because I always have this small feeling that it could be wrong. Even if I tell myself I accept the geometric law I still have this skeptical feeling of it(keeping an open mind that something could be right or wrong). It could either be my paranoid feelings or skepticism, I don't care how someone puts it.

I have to develop my own ways of understand the inner workings of a specific mathematical law or equation by trying to find the core equations behind it. Without it, I either don't understand it or I become "skeptical" of it.

Does anyone else have these thoughts on the American education system? Or is it just me?

Well my first degree was applied maths and I am the first to admit I understand some areas of maths better than others and some not at all. It's a vast subject these days.

Take heart.

Well I guess the point I am getting at is I feel the American education system is "wrong" and needs working on with teaching topics such as mathematics.

EDIT: Either that I really do suck at math and should head down another field.

EDIT2: I am truly devoted to mathematics and I find many of the concepts fascinating, however with such a low point within the education system I would not be able to contribute to mathematical concepts(of course I can, but people willing to listen to them would be unlikely, though that isn't my main point).

Edited by Unity+

Well I guess the point I am getting at is I feel the American education system is "wrong" and needs working on with teaching topics such as mathematics.

EDIT: Either that I really do suck at math and should head down another field.

The clock ticks on and so does your life. The system is the way it is; outside your control. If you want to do maths you have to work with it as presented now.

If you feel you have hit your ceiling in understanding math's take heart in knowing you have done your best. No one can ask more of you than that.

The clock ticks on and so does your life. The system is the way it is; outside your control. If you want to do maths you have to work with it as presented now.

If you feel you have hit your ceiling in understanding math's take heart in knowing you have done your best. No one can ask more of you than that.

I teach myself most of the time, so the system doesn't effect me as much with my ability to comprehend mathematical concepts.

But, the problem with that kind of ideal is that our current education system produces small amount of successful students as there are in other countries. Accepting our current way of presentation will lead down the same road and will be unsuccessful. If the point of the education system is to produce as many successful engineers and scientists then the system is doing a poor job of it.

There are some problems with the education system in the US. Some are due to school boards with religious agendas, some due to ineffective teachers, some due to federal meddling, and some due to apathetic parents. Despite the problems, a determined student can get a good education, and some do. It is easy to blame someone else for one's failure, but a person who is determined can overcome many disadvantages. IMO the most difficult thing a young person may face is abusive, drugged out, or apathetic parents, who slap desire and determination from naturally curious children.

If you feel the need to learn, I recommend khanacademy.org. Its math and science curriculum are excellent. You can play while you learn at your own pace, studying what you want when you want to. There are other online resources, too. There is no reason for anyone to be limited by the US primary education system, once they know about online education.

Judging from what you say about your interests and approach to understanding mathematics, you should investigate if you haven't already the application of group theory and symmetry principles to physics and chemistry. There are a lot of videos on the subject at YouTube that are worth checking out.

There are some problems with the education system in the US. Some are due to school boards with religious agendas, some due to ineffective teachers, some due to federal meddling, and some due to apathetic parents. Despite the problems, a determined student can get a good education, and some do. It is easy to blame someone else for one's failure, but a person who is determined can overcome many disadvantages. IMO the most difficult thing a young person may face is abusive, drugged out, or apathetic parents, who slap desire and determination from naturally curious children.

If you feel the need to learn, I recommend khanacademy.org. Its math and science curriculum are excellent. You can play while you learn at your own pace, studying what you want when you want to. There are other online resources, too. There is no reason for anyone to be limited by the US primary education system, once they know about online education.

Ill actually check that site out. Thank you for the recommendation.

I know the full blame is not on the education system, but it just goes to show how spending so much money on a failed education system can be quite inefficient.