The real -Mission: Impossible- television movies...

Externet

I loved that show, it almost killed me.

When I was about 8 I tried to mimic the guy that had the cool stuff to ascend, descend and even move horizontal using various mechanical devices to hang from. At some point during an episode my parents car top carrier with its four suction cups popped into my mind. The next day I put up a ladder between the joists in my dads shop and removed them. They were about 10 -12 cm in diameter with a 1/4 -20 stud sticking out of the back. I tested one on the side of a large roll around tool chest, it seemed quite strong.

I repositioned the ladder to another location where an old chrome and Formica table was stored inverted on top of the joists. I had on an old army surplus harness which I had attached some "S" hooks, earlier I had used it for climbing trees. I climbed the ladder and stuck two of the suction cups to the overturned table. I slipped the "S" hook on my harnesses chest strap into a 90 clip bolted to one of the suction cup's studs.

My plan seemed foolproof, I would swing off the ladder to hang from the cup, I would then transfer to the second cup before switching to the joists with short ropes, making my way out over the floor 5 m or so and then back in a circle to the ladder.

I hooked to the first cup and eased my weight onto the table top, it creaked under the additional load. I paused with one hand and one foot on the ladder, carefully watching the cup as the table ticked and groaned. It was holding! I then removed my foot, and then my hand from the ladder, I hung there for what was 10 - 20 seconds when the vacuum released.

It was surprising how fast 3.6 m (12 ft) goes by when your looking up at a Formica boomerang pattern fading into the distance.

I hit the floor on my butt, slightly leaning backwards. That I believe was the most pain I had experienced in those first 8 years. I don't think I hit my head, If I did it was over shadowed by the monumental pain in my rear end.

Edited by arc