Illegal Narcotics

Guest vijun

I believe that all illegal narcotics should be legalized in every country around the world. People should have the right to do whatever they want to do with their bodies as long as they are not causing any involuntary physical harm to someone else in the process. For example, imagine that two men are in a car. The passenger takes out a cigarette but before lights it he proceeds to ask the driver “do you mind if I smoke?” If the driver responds by saying no I don’t mind he is consenting to inhale second hand smoke.

Illegal narcotics will always be a problem in this world until people are willing to do something about the lack of pleasure and wellbeing that most people are living with. How many people reading this post can honestly say that they experience more pleasure than pain in their lives on regular basis? The best thing that most people can hope for is a balance of pleasure and pain. Unfortunately the majority of people on this planet experience much more physical and psychological pain than pleasure. In my opinion human culture and genetic flaws are the main reasons for these unfortunate circumstances. Our bodies are programmed to seek out pleasure but they are also programmed to engage in self destructive behavior. I am in desperate need for some kind of pleasure in my life so I can tell you a lot about self destructive behavior.

So what is the solution to the problem? Well I don’t have all of the answers but I believe that I have some of them. The most important reason why narcotics should be legalized is the fact that it will put a big dent in organized crime. I also feel sorry for the thousands of people around the world that are in prison for being in possession of small amounts of an illegal substance. I believe that it should still be illegal to sell narcotics, but it should not be illegal to possess small amounts. Perhaps the best thing that politicians can do is set up a system where people can purchase a product from their government. All of the profits could be used to set up a federal medicare system in countries like the U.S.A.

The only illegal substance that I have tried is marijuana. I would like to try other things like cocaine and heroin but I have no way of knowing that I am getting a safe product from the streets and I can’t find accurate information about these drugs. I believe that these drugs would be safe for most people to use if they used them in moderation. Show me a heroin addict that only injects themselves with heroin once a month. These drugs should be used the same way people use prescriptions medication. I would like to know what is a safe amount to use without becoming addicted to it?

"I wonder if I should go to work today... I can't control my body and don't know where's the door anymore, so I guess not."

"Whoah, 57 workers didn't show up today. Yeah, they were stoned."

And personally, I think smoking has decreased the average lifetime of man already more than a necessary amount, adding up free use of even more deadly and addictive substances is not cool. "Yeah I'll just try heroin once. Or twice... Or for a week, or perhaps a month. But then I'll stop!" And prescriptions won't help; do you really think that if you're allowed 1g of cocaine a week you won't get addicted? Yeah, perhaps you won't (although I doubt even that,) but a couple of million other people will. And if it's legal with prescriptions, I find it hard to believe that people wouldn't buy some from their friends/contacts who also got a "prescription".

Allowing use of any drug-like substance one wants would really do a favor to the gene pool though, so perhaps people should just go for it! Yay for Darwinism!

Hi vijun, I can't give you an answer to your little question in the end of your post. But I can give a very short opinion on your staments.

Don't you think that legalizing and using hard drugs is not only a matter of self harm (which some may accept generally), but it indirectly promotes crime and several negative cosequences?

I support legalisation of drugs, both on philosophical and pragmatic grounds. Mill's principle of liberty argues that the only reason a person should be stopped from doing something is to prevent harm to others, and that 'over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign', leading to the conclusion that drugs should not be illegal.

There are several pragmatic reasons to support legalisation of drugs. A large proportion of crime is committed by drug addicts. This also leads to a large proportion of the prison population being made up of drug users. These people should not be placed in prison, the failings of which are clear to see, they should be treated for their addiction.

The profit being made by organised criminals from drugs are staggering - £34,000 on a kilo of cocaine. With profits like this, it is not suprising that the 'war on drugs' has been such a spectacular failure. And think how much governments would make from taxation on legal sales of drugs.

The final, and to me the most persuasive arguement, is that legalisation would make drug use far, far safer than at present. The quality of the product would be assured (the standards for medical supplies of morphine, heroin and cocaine are just as stringent as other medicines) and paraphenalia would be easily obtained. Though needle exchange schemes are becoming more widespread in the UK, they are not that common and water for injections is still a prescription only medicine.

How would drugs be supplied if they were to be legalised? Arguements have been made for supply via pharmacies, but I doubt this would happen. Pharmacies do not sell alcohol or tobacco. Pharmacists provide healthcare and promote health. Selling drugs would clearly be at odds with this, and would bring the profession into disrepute. If (when?) drugs are legalised, they should be sold in the same way as alcohol is, but with tougher enforcement of regulations and harsher punishement for breaking the regulations.

Now to address some of the objections raised. Yes, legalisation would probably lead to an increase in drug use, but obviously there would also be a strong, honest education programme.

Gilded: if people didn't turn up to work then they would be disciplined, just as you or I would if we went out on the piss and didn't go to work the next day.

OnlySinan: could you explain why you think legalisation would promote crime? My view is that it would reduce crime as people could obtain there drug from a reputable source and providing the price was reasonable dealers wouldn't be able to undercut it and make profits like they do now.

Drugs obviously aren't good for you, but then tobacco and alcohol are both legal. Both of these are psychoactive substances, are addictive and can kill you. Alcohol also directly causes a lot of violence. Do those that think drugs should remain illegal think that tobacco and alcohol should be made illegal?

Some sources: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1386115,00.html

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1385987,00.html

Drugs obviously aren't good for you' date=' but then tobacco and alcohol are both legal. Both of these are psychoactive substances, are addictive and can kill you. Alcohol also directly causes a lot of violence. Do those that think drugs should remain illegal think that tobacco and alcohol should be made illegal?

[/quote']

I agree with a lot that you've said, but with alcohol and tobacco you would need to take excessive amounts for those effects to come into place. However with illegal drugs, it only takes the smallest amounts for a person to feel the effect. I agree that tobacco and alcohol can lead to problems, but the consequences of taking drugs is much more severe. Drugs, such as cocaine, have a greater impact on the mind, than on the body. These drugs also have an immediate effect, but only lasting a short time. The fact that it lasts a short time, makes the user want to take in more as they would feel a craving for it. The immediate effects of drugs are more detrimental to the body than tobacco and alcohol is. For instance, when someone takes cocaine the following could be experienced:

>Feelings of euphoria, exhilaration and confidence (this may be all well and good, but what if you decide to take some cocaine before you drive home?The likeliness is that you will do something that you would not normally do when under your normal pretences. ie. drive over the speed limit, overtake cars round corners...or even in some cases drive on the wrong side of the road. Its possible.

>Accelerated heart rate(Forcing your heart to beat faster than it is supposed to can lead to long term damage)

>Increase in body temperature(in many cases people found taking illegal drugs are taken to hospital with dangerously high temperatures and dehydrated. Ecstasy is sometimes known to be taken to give the user a good feeling, or a burst of energy, ie when they go clubbing for example. This is when taking cocaine and alcohol becomes life threatening. When taking cocaine you feel a burst of energy, which makes you want to drink more as you feel a thirst, however alcohol is known to make the body dehydrate and along with the high body temperature, over-heating is almost inevatible. This leads to heatstroke and brain damage)

>A burst of energy

>Dilated pupils

>Loss of appetite

>The urge to have sex.

>Feelings of extreme depression after taking the drug

Furthermore in high doses, cocaine will make the user feel extremely agitated, paranoid and aggressive. Unpleasant physical effects include dizziness, hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, tremors, headache and heart pain. The consequences of overdose include seizures, brain haemorrhage, kidney failure, heart attack or stroke.

My reason for going on about the disadvantages above is to point out that small quantities of drugs are highly addictive, and their affects may only last 15 minutes, but the psychological effects last much longer. Comparing alcohol and tobacco with hard drugs, alcohol and tobacco seems the safer alternative. All three are addictive, however drugs are more than the other two, the cravings are worse for drugs and users become extremely dependent on it, on a regular basis. In my opinion drugs are more difficult to give up than tobacco and alcohol.

In other words what i'm trying to say is that if drugs were to be legalised the disadvantages would outweigh the advantages. Hospitals would find it difficult to cope with drug related cases, which could have a "domino" effect on the economy, society and the world.

The ideal solution would be to ban tobacco, alcohol and drugs. However, as vijun, said the human body needs some sort of human pleasure, and the only way to allow this is by having tobacco and alcohol to those above the legal age. This gives everyone a balance.

I don't see drugs being legalised in the near future, as it is impossible to predict what the outcome would be. Legalising it and finding out that it doesn't work is surely not worth the risk, especially if people become overpowered by the addiction for it...how would you convince people to give up?

neo.

While I personally think that legalization of all hemp products would be a good thing, harder drugs are a vastly different matter. And you have to realize that moderation is one of those subjective phrases it's so easy to throw around, like liberal, normal and moral. From cigarettes to heroin, it's all poison and the amount the body can tolerate varies from person to person.

Some people get a buzz off one beer, someone else isn't satisfied until they've polished off a case. One person drops acid once and has a horrible experience, someone else thinks it's the only way to go through life.

People who use any poison on a regular basis know that their tolerance builds over time. What used to satisfy you now isn't near enough, and the cycle spirals upward.

I'm concerned about this statement:

I am in desperate need for some kind of pleasure in my life so I can tell you a lot about self destructive behavior.
Temporary pleasure is just that, it's fleeting and usually leaves you wanting more. Personally, I try not to look for my pleasure from things or other people. If I'm happy with myself, just about everything and everybody gives me pleasure.

And please tell me why you equate pleasure with destroying yourself?

Some people get a buzz off one beer, someone else isn't satisfied until they've polished off a case. One person drops acid once and has a horrible experience, someone else thinks it's the only way to go through life.

And can you imagine what that person does when they're under the influence of the drug? Many crimes (I can look up the percentage, it's large) are committed under the influence of drugs. Legalizing them makes it worse.

And please tell me why you equate pleasure with destroying yourself?

When you're asking that you might as well ask why people find murder pleasureful, crime fun, and so on. It's hard to explain or understand.

"you're allowed 1g of cocaine a week you won't get addicted?

Once they do get addicted (and it would be stupid to say no one will) what do you think theyll do for the rest of the week once they run out of the 1g in a couple of days. Go find a drug dealer or break into the chemist :eek: people on drugs get pretty desperate

"Free choices, for free men, in free markets works and nothing else seems to." This 'War on Molecules' is nothing more than pseudo-moral, manmade dietary laws, that is a economic, political, social, and moral travesty.

aguy2

Please all read the thread "Drug War"' date=' then come back.

Go on; scoot.[/quote']

Some interesting stuff in there, however I doubt most people will read a 16 page thread.

People who use any poison on a regular basis know that their tolerance builds over time. What used to satisfy you now isn't near enough, and the cycle spirals upward.

Absolutely true. I've dispensed doses of morphine that would easily kill someone if they hadn't built up a tolerance. In paliative care, there is no maximum dose for morphine or diamorphine (heroin).

And can you imagine what that person does when they're under the influence of the drug? Many crimes (I can look up the percentage, it's large) are committed under the influence of drugs. Legalizing them makes it worse.

Figures would be nice, thanks. And type of crime would be interesting - is it theft or assault? My feeling is that it would be theft, in order to pay for the next dose. But then of course, different drugs have different effects. How many crimes are committed under the influence of nicotine (is it even possible)? But look at alcohol. One thing I have learned at uni is stay the hell away from Broad Street at chucking out time! Yet how many people advocate prohibition of alcohol?

When the former operational head of Scotland Yard's Drug Squad argues for drug legalisation, I tend to listen carefully to his arguements. His stance, in a nutshell, is:

Simply put, drug misuse presents the greatest threat to the well being of our society than any other activity and prohibition cannot deliver an answer.

http://eddie.gn.apc.org

Drug laws, at least in the UK and I expect elsewhere, are actually horrendously complex. There are two ways of classifying a drug. The one most people know about is by the Misuse of Drugs Act, which is based on potential harm - heroin is class A, amphetamines are class B and cannabis is class C. There are also the Misuse of Drugs Regulations, where drugs are classified according to medical use. Schedule 1 drugs are not used in medicine (LSD, cannabis [?]), Sch. 2 is the opiates and stimulants, Sch. 3 is barbiturates and 'minor stimulants', Sch. 4 is benzodiazepines and anabolic steroids, while Sch. 5 is negligible risk or low strength.

This can lead to what can appear to be conflicting situations. Cannabis is class C, but is Sch. 1 (I don't think it's been moved yet.) Morphine is more confusing. It's class A, but depending on the strength of the preparation, it can be either Sch. 2 or Sch. 5 (pharmacists have to keep invoices, but not records of supplies.) At a low enough strength (0.02-0.04% depending on form), it can be purchased over the counter at pharmacies.

How many people reading this post can honestly say that they experience more pleasure than pain in their lives on regular basis?

I am happier more than i am unhappy on a regular basis.

I believe that these drugs would be safe for most people to use if they used them in moderation.

Moderation?!? Sure you start not using much but then you build up the amount and become dependant on the drug.

I am in desperate need for some kind of pleasure in my life so I can tell you a lot about self destructive behavior.

Maybe instead of trying drugs to run away and escape your problems for a short while you might want to find a better long term solution. Seek the help of a professional.

• 2 weeks later...

The only drug that I can see any possible reason for legalizing is marijuana, and even then only after intense, long-term studies have been performed. If all of a sudden every illegal substance on earth were legalized, you'd have MASSES of people going and trying them which would result in massive overcrowding in the ER and people messed up on the drugs and unsure of how to handle themselves. Think about what it was like the first time you ever got drunk. Did you wind up drinking too much and getting insanely ill? Did you not know what was going on and get nervous or start doing stupid thing? If your answer to any of those is 'Yes', then multiply it by about a 100 and you'll know what it's like to take an 'illegal' drug for the first time. There is a very fine line between a major dose and a little dose. It will either work, or it won't. Marijuana is probably the only 'illegal' substance I know of that people can use in small quantities and slowly get used to its effects. While I would love to see it legalized, I will really only feel comfortable with that if long term studies are performed in an unbiased setting. (I.E. not by the government and not by pro-marijuana groups. I'm talking independent institutions and researchers). The first step should be legalization for medical use, then research, then restricted legalization for general use. (As for the medical use, the United States approves of its use but only in the form of a pill known as Dronabinol/Marinol. It's kind of hypocritical, however, since they classify Cannabis as a Schedule 1 drug meaning that it has high potential for addiction and no known medical use or safety data. However, Dronabinol/Marinol is a marketed drug which is made from the active indgredient of marijuana and has FDA approval. For FDA approval, safety testing has to be performed. So cannabis does not fit the Schedule 1 designation per the Government itself, yet the DEA refuses to move it.)